Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
113 14,761
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Otherwise there'd be no point in making it IMO.
TB3 should also have satellite communication capability and a longer staying power as well as more usable weight allowance.
My only reservation would be the size of the drone, due to bigger and heavier engine giving rise to more fuel requirement , could make the drone big enough to be more detectable.

Last edited:

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,179
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
TB3 should also have satellite communication capability and a longer staying power as well as more usable weight allowance.
My only reservation would be the size of the drone, due to bigger and heavier engine giving rise to more fuel requirement.
Going from 100hp to 180hp the TB3 airframe must also be enlarged to accommodate the extra engine weight and the increased fuel weight. With the additional payload capacity the TB3 can both increase weapons load and fuel load or choose to increase just one of them.

Last edited:

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
113 14,761
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Going from 100hp to 180hp the TB3 airframe must also be enlarged to accommodate the extra engine weight and the increased fuel weight. With the additional payload capacity the TB3 can both increase weapons load and fuel load or to increase just one of them.
Exactly! That is what I am saying. I hope this will not jeopardise the stealthy characteristics of the drone. My first post may have been a bit vague! So I amended it.

S

Sinan

Akinci entered mass production

- I have seen no statement of his about serial production in the news that you have shared. I checked his twitter account also no announcement of serial production.
- It's not logical to think that Baykar would start serial production without signing a contract with SSB.
- Also, Afaik, Akıncı has not pass through the Air Force Acceptance tests yet.

Might be fake news.

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,604
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
- I have seen no statement of his about serial production in the news that you have shared. I checked his twitter account also no announcement of serial production.
- It's not logical to think that Baykar would start serial production without signing a contract with SSB.

Might be fake news.
Looks like Selcuk Bayraktar has said something in that direction.

Stuka

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
5 4,538
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

Might be fake news.
He did say it himself.

Stuka

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
5 4,538
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Thanks.

Do you have info about signing contract with SSB and acceptance tests?

I was looking for them aswell but i found the Concept which the the SSM (SSB old name) expected 1st on the left and the Concepts from Baykar and TAI on the right respectively

1612531620051.png

As far as i am aware SSM chose the Baykars Akinci proposal and TAI was developing the YFYK on their own without havin the SSB check in regulary to see how far they have come.
----------------------------------------------------------

2. Tests are obviously individual due to different problems which may occur but if we take TAI AKSUNGUR as an example:

1612532280791.png

First Flight: 20.03.2019

First Time dropping TEBER-82: 10.09.2020

Serial Production: Commenced shortly after and they are preparing 5 Systems to be shortly delivered.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Akinci
1612533091838.png

First Flight: 06.12.2019

First Time dropping Ammo: n/a, but compared with AKSUNGUR (18 Months) - > 01.06.2021.

Serial Production: Commenced recently without further info. but with Ismail Demir statement in the video saying until end of 2021 in inventory that would make sense.

Note: Keep in mind TAI AKSUNGUR is based on an already existing platform while AKINCI is a new one, so that will affect the timeframe quite a bit.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
YALL KNEW ABOUT THIS?!

nightwarden.jpg

The video is from 2017, development should be much earlier (2014-15) and Shadow M2 was from 2011. Too much similarities with TB2 and much earlier adaptation of Satcom. I don't think they got any inspiration from TB2, same company (before acquired by Textron) developed RQ-7_Shadow in 1990s which also used by TSK too. (wiki/AAI_RQ-7_Shadow) Like all, TB2 inspired from it. USA has the technology decades ago and similar designs exists for decades as well. They were just not selling it until now.

D

dBSPL

Also, potential for improvements of these MALE + UCAVs will be much higher even after first blocks starts active duty. As an example, external duty loads given as 750 kg for Aksungur and 900 kg for Akıncı can be doubled with minor structural improvements and different engine configurations in the following years.

D

dBSPL

That is a daring statement.
Yes, when we consider this as singular, it may seem exaggerated. With future enhancements, the payload may not be doubled precisely. However, there are some design advantages arising from the needs that create these platforms, which is the point I want to draw attention. Both platforms have a wingspan of over 20 meters (24 for Aksungur) and MTOW around 3.5tons or more(5+ tons for Akıncı). The first block deliveries will take place with the first configuration engine pairs starting at 220hp and 450hp. There is a prospect of development for MALE+ systems up to 750 and maybe 900hp engine pairs in the future. This situation shows us that there may be a wider gap between the first block and the last possible block product in terms of capacity compared to the previous MALE (and other non-satcom tactical systems) systems.

Another important anecdote is the mission profiles that are desired to be opened to these systems, especially for air ground missions, in parallel with the developments(mostly problematic) in the procurement of combat jet platforms by the Air Force. When we look at the ammunitions types and models to be certified for these systems, it seems TurAF aimed to use common ammunition directly with the most of combat jets' air-to-ground mission profiles. In addition, considering the effective maximum engagement altitudes of the ammunition types to be carried in the future, the mission altitude profiles of these aircraft will also differ from the previous ones. All of these put forward that these systems will be used as a more common strike aircraft, istead of only dedicate as the Pre-Planned CAS aircrafts.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

adenl

Yes, when we consider this as singular, it may seem exaggerated. With future enhancements, the payload may not be doubled precisely. However, there are some design advantages arising from the needs that create these platforms, which is the point I want to draw attention. Both platforms have a wingspan of over 20 meters (24 for Aksungur) and MTOW around 3.5tons or more(5+ tons for Akıncı). The first block deliveries will take place with the first configuration engine pairs starting at 220hp and 450hp. There is a prospect of development for MALE+ systems up to 750 and maybe 900hp engine pairs in the future. This situation shows us that there may be a wider gap between the first block and the last possible block product in terms of capacity compared to the previous MALE (and other non-satcom tactical systems) systems.

Another important anecdote is the mission profiles that are desired to be opened to these systems, especially for air ground missions, in parallel with the developments(mostly problematic) in the procurement of combat jet platforms by the Air Force. When we look at the ammunitions types and models to be certified for these systems, it seems TurAF aimed to use common ammunition directly with the most of combat jets' air-to-ground mission profiles. In addition, considering the effective maximum engagement altitudes of the ammunition types to be carried in the future, the mission altitude profiles of these aircraft will also differ from the previous ones. All of these put forward that these systems will be used as a more common strike aircraft, istead of only dedicate as the Pre-Planned CAS aircrafts.
I'm not entirely convinced of your argument. Will future variants with more powerful engines carry a higher payload and/or have a higher MTOW? Sure, but double the current quoted payload with 'minor' structural and engine upgrades? Time will tell.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom