Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,193
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I have read akıncı can control several tb2. So the range limitations would be decreased significantly. Can someone confirm?

Akıncı controlled via SATCOM and tb2 controlled via akıncı as transmitter would be a force multiplier. Imagine several tb2 as vanguard taking out pantsirs to clear the area and akıncı do the big work. If that's the case we should definitely keep tb2 in inventory.
With the Bayraktar TB2 payload capacity rated as 150kg I wonder if a smaller sat-com can be fitted in the TB2. Knowing that there are nano satellites with communication capabilities why not an UAV vehicle have a similar small sat-com. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Ronin

Reactions
Yeah this is possible with Relay(role). Large military-specific systems offer a number of additional improvements in communications capabilities. Many include wide-band satellite communications (SATCOM) that expand the amount and extend the range of transmittable data, providing distant ground stations with real-time ISR. Like some baseline systems, high-end systems are generally capable of line-of-sight communications with other platforms operating in their area and, for this reason, are often employed as communications relays.

View attachment 1525
View attachment 1526
This will really be a great capability!
Considering how effective Turkish military used only tb2's, in combination with akıncı thiese drones will be a real nightmare for every enemy force.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,091
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Vestel, TAI and Bayraktar.

Let the best one win. It seems they are pushing to be the best drone to get the contracts.

Balamir

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Temel Kotil also said that AKSUNGUR will enter the inventory. It would be stupid not to buy such an SİHA. Especially the EA / ES derivative will be used. In addition, the Turkish Navy will use Aselsan Sonobuoy and AKSUNGUR to detect submarines.

Again, there is a competition like AKINCI or AKSUNGUR.
I've written before, I'm writing again. TAI is Turkey's strategic aviation hub.

AKINCI is the flagship for Baykar.
It is an intermediate system developed for AKSUNGUR TAI
over ANKA in a short time and it is very good in terms of price / performance. TAI's target is loyal wingman and swarm jet UAVs.

Last edited:

leylandSukru

Reactions
I had read a lot about how hard it is to detect smaller tb2&anka and this creating an advantage in real combat environments.

does anybody know what will be the case with akinci or aksungur? i like to imagine aksungur having a feast with 12 mam-l on the unsuspecting syrian columns driving towards the front lines, but can it penetrate that deep without getting noticed?

also in a clear sky sunny day, can a human detect a tb2 flying at 20K+ feet with his bare eyes? can he hear it? what will be the case with akinci/aksungur?

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
That's a lot of potential fire power on the AKSUNGUR, the only issue is, it would only be capable of engaging a single target at a time with one E/O turret. I'm sure there's enough capacity to have another E/O turret added for wide area surveillance and targeting

Hexciter

Experienced member
Reactions
4 11,447
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
That's a lot of potential fire power on the AKSUNGUR, the only issue is, it would only be capable of engaging a single target at a time with one E/O turret. I'm sure there's enough capacity to have another E/O turret added for wide area surveillance and targeting
I’m thinking about of adding two small targetting pods right under engines.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,797
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I am not sure that Vestel is going to be in the inventory. It costs money to develop uav, but if you have no customers then where is the incentive to continue developing.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,091
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
I am not sure that Vestel is going to be in the inventory. It costs money to develop uav, but if you have no customers then where is the incentive to continue developing.

Is the vestel one cost effective??? All I know is Saudi Arabia is buying them.

Maybe other countries might follow suit perhaps.

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
I’m thinking about of adding two small targetting pods right under engines.

I was thinking something like this?
aksungur.png

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,193
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Vestel has to come up with something better than the competition. Initially Vestel was tasked to make a catapult launch shipborne UAV but they failed to deliver. And they wanted to continue development with a classical plane to directly compete with Baykar's TB2. This really didn't serve any good purpose other than winning Vestel revenue. It didn't put any new capability on the table. It even didn't match TB2 in any way. It was below par to be honest. Vestel has to come up with something better than what is already out there if they want to be useful.

Another point is,
TAI is the national aviator with many major projects on hand.
Baykar is the follower with many aces in its sleeve, doing aviation as their only job.
Vestel does aviation as a side job trying to replicate its competitors existing work.

There seems to be no third place in this game.

Vestel has to pivot to some other area of aviation; small drones, flying cars, why not.

Last edited:

Balamir

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Vestel Karayel SU and Baykar TB2 have almost the same features. They should have evaluated this company that is open to development and bought it from both SİHAs. So both would compete against each other. It didn't happen because Baykar's political connections are strong. In addition, the project given to him was also a partner with Kale. Vestel developed the Karayel SU alone and perhaps sold the Karayel to Saudi Arabia before TB2 was sold to Ukraine. I also think that the TB2 has intellectual property rights in the SSB, as in the Altay tank. However, Karayel was developed under the personal ownership of Vestel.

D

dBSPL

The Aksungur system can technically carry 20 or 24 Mam-L. But if we consider the ammunition effective altitude: I think MAM-L type ammunition will continue to be the main striking force of tactical UAVs instead of MALE+ systems.

But the real game-changing development is:

The high altitude and high destructive ammunitions that Roketsan and Tubitak Sage have been developing for many years will enable Aksungur to play a role in Interdiction and Air strike needs, apart from its On-Call/CAS missions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
What is apparent is how much we need an
The Aksungur system can technically carry 20 or 24 Mam-L. But if we consider the ammunition effective altitude: I think MAM-L type ammunition will continue to be the main striking force of tactical UAVs instead of MALE+ systems.

But the real game-changing development is:

The high altitude and high destructive ammunitions that Roketsan and Tubitak Sage have been developing for many years will enable Aksungur to play a role in Interdiction and Air strike needs, apart from its On-Call/CAS missions.

We were discussing the inability of Aksungur to multi-designate despite having a large weapons loadout.

What it means is, if Aksungur is flying around 20,000ft @ 100mph it would take at least 100 seconds before the bomb it dropped landed on it's target. That time could be cut in half if a second E/O turret were to be added, hitting multiple targets simultaneously . Would give tremendous capability to support troops and neutralise time sensitive targets in battlespace.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom