Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
113 14,741
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Akinci’s serial production No1 is getting ready to join the ranks. No2,3&4 are in the pipeline too, according to the reports coming in.
Does any one know if these are going to be with 2x750 HP Ukrainian engines or with PD 170/PD 222 diesel power?
There is so much hype about these UAV’s! For me they are nowhere near as effective as TB2’s. They are too big and bulky. They will make a good addition to the terror fighting machine we have. But I can’t see them having an impact on conventional warfare if they are not supported with EW and stealthy RCS values. They will be good as relay stations; Also with the planned Aesa radar, they can be quite effective against old tech aircrafts that do not have similar radars. I wouldn’t want to operate them inside enemy airspace if not supported by EW. With stand off munitions they can operate from a distance and perform duties of an attack helicopter as well. As they start to evolve I am sure we will see the benefits piling up. But as it stands today, it is early days to count our chickens.

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,542
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Akinci’s serial production No1 is getting ready to join the ranks. No2,3&4 are in the pipeline too, according to the reports coming in.
Does any one know if these are going to be with 2x750 HP Ukrainian engines or with PD 170/PD 222 diesel power?
There is so much hype about these UAV’s! For me they are nowhere near as effective as TB2’s. They are too big and bulky. They will make a good addition to the terror fighting machine we have. But I can’t see them having an impact on conventional warfare if they are not supported with EW and stealthy RCS values. They will be good as relay stations; Also with the planned Aesa radar, they can be quite effective against old tech aircrafts that do not have similar radars. I wouldn’t want to operate them inside enemy airspace if not supported by EW. With stand off munitions they can operate from a distance and perform duties of an attack helicopter as well. As they start to evolve I am sure we will see the benefits piling up. But as it stands today, it is early days to count our chickens.

Well TB2 destroyed many vested believes that drones would have minimal effect on battlefield, yet the drone became the worst nightmare of the enemies.
You are now voicing vested believes like too big, bulky, too slow. Who knows maybe you are right, but I like to see them first on battlefield before making assumptions.

Akinci has added value: artificial intelligence. Let it first see how this works out, it could be the next game changer

azaher77

Committed member
Reactions
1 1,688
Nation of residence
Jordan
Ew79PMjXIAcWxA-

Ew79PMhWEAINwIJ

(AFP) Whether in Syria or Libya, and more recently in Azerbaijan, Turkish drones have made great military achievements in recent months, in a show that Ankara intends to benefit from to become a leader in its export.​

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
113 14,741
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Well TB2 destroyed many vested believes that drones would have minimal effect on battlefield, yet the drone became the worst nightmare of the enemies.
You are now voicing vested believes like too big, bulky, too slow. Who knows maybe you are right, but I like to see them first on battlefield before making assumptions.

Akinci has added value: artificial intelligence. Let it first see how this works out, it could be the next game changer
If you read my post a second time you will see that ; I may have reservations but with Akinci ever evolving like TB2 (remember how TB2 suffered in it’s early days in Syria with enemy electronic interference) , we should see this UAV to be quite beneficial. Proof of the pudding is in the eating! You are right. Let us see it in action. It needs to show us like TB2 did, what it really can do. But I still stand by my statement that “without EW it should not be in enemy airspace”!
These are big birds. They are slow as well. They will never be an F16 replacement. (We have to wait for the supersonic UAV’s for that). But from our own airspace or from a stand off distance they will be able to target enemy positions with pinpoint accuracy. They can loiter in the air just inside our borders and drop down enemy aircraft with the help of “Peace Eagle” planes with Gokdogan Air to Air missiles.
However, If we can give them EW cover, both Akinci and Aksungur will play havoc on enemy ground forces.

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,542
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
If you read my post a second time you will see that ; I may have reservations but with Akinci ever evolving like TB2 (remember how TB2 suffered in it’s early days in Syria with enemy electronic interference) , we should see this UAV to be quite beneficial. Proof of the pudding is in the eating! You are right. Let us see it in action. It needs to show us like TB2 did, what it really can do. But I still stand by my statement that “without EW it should not be in enemy airspace”!
These are big birds. They are slow as well. They will never be an F16 replacement. (We have to wait for the supersonic UAV’s for that). But from our own airspace or from a stand off distance they will be able to target enemy positions with pinpoint accuracy. They can loiter in the air just inside our borders and drop down enemy aircraft with the help of “Peace Eagle” planes with Gokdogan Air to Air missiles.
However, If we can give them EW cover, both Akinci and Aksungur will play havoc on enemy ground forces.

Well that's the wrong thinking part, each weapon has it's own merits and is not a replacement of something. A mortar doesn't replace a cannon, a machine gun doesn't replace a rifle. You have to use each weapon to it's own merits and using it in a right way it can become extremely dangerous.

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,542
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
For people who still are in the mood of look drones cannot replace fighter aircraft.
Let me tell you a secret, the drones have already replaced fighter aircraft (some of them)

Does SEAD (search and destroy) and CAS (Close Air Support) ring a bell? The US used the A10 for that and Russia the famous Su-25. The US retired the A10 because she saw that drones like Reaper were much better in that.

And how were Turkish TB2's used? Were they used as air superiority fighters? Nope, they fulfilled perfectly the roles they are suited for: SEAD and CAS.

Some people have still the idea bigger more destructive, more powerful is always better without thinking about the area of use.

If I ask you guys which one is better: machine gun or hunting rifle? Most of you will answer machine gun. But if I add: for hunting birds? Than what?

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,859
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
For people who still are in the mood of look drones cannot replace fighter aircraft.
Let me tell you a secret, the drones have already replaced fighter aircraft (some of them)

Does SEAD (search and destroy) and CAS (Close Air Support) ring a bell? The US used the A10 for that and Russia the famous Su-25. The US retired the A10 because she saw that drones like Reaper were much better in that.

And how were Turkish TB2's used? Were they used as air superiority fighters? Nope, they fulfilled perfectly the roles they are suited for: SEAD and CAS.

Some people have still the idea bigger more destructive, more powerful is always better without thinking about the area of use.

If I ask you guys which one is better: machine gun or hunting rifle? Most of you will answer machine gun. But if I add: for hunting birds? Than what?

The A-10 isn't retired, only 44 out of 281 will be.

Also those Aircrafts are designed for CAS, no one is saying Drones can't replace Aircrafts for CAS, people are talking about the fools who think they can replace an F-15,F-16,F-18,F-22,Su-35,Mig-35,J-16,J-10,J-20, Eurofighter and F-35 with drones, which you with the available tech can't to an satisfying extend, if you could the USAF wouldn't be pouring billions into the NGAD but instead would be developing an fighter scaled drone to replace it entire inventory of fighter jets over the next 2-3 decades.

When you have one side arguing that they can shoot down an F-16,Rafale and F-35 with Akinci that is equipped with Aim-120 and that is why Turkey shouldn't invest into fighter jets anymore that side has already lost the discussion, because that side has no idea about how engineering and physics work.

The situational awareness between and slow flying drones equipped with an FLIR for CAS is different than the situational awareness needed to pilot and fighter jet flying at MACH 2.

The only reliable way to create an unmanned fighter jet is AI and many countries are going that route, in the future those drones people dream of replacing an F-16 will be piloted by AI and not operators in an container on an AirBase.

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,542
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Current drones cannot replace air superiority fighters, but aircraft did also not start with air superiority fighters. The first military aircraft 100 years ago where simple biplanes from which the pilot dropped the bomb by hand. Aircraft evolved in this 100 years.

Drones are at their relative begin of evolution, we can already not predict the drone power in 10 years from now.

Fuzuli NL

Experienced member
Germany Correspondent
Reactions
20 8,285
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Bayraktar Caldiran, TB2s forefather
2019101108414328308.jpg

Doc2SKpW4AE2h47.jpg

201910811534628011.jpg

TB2 PT-1 prototype
PlatformKalkisTaktik.JPG

Very interesting to see the evolution of this wonderful gem.

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,542
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Oh shit, we can see where the engine is.

Sorry for the bad joke, don't worry mate shooting of a wing will down a drone anyway. In fact almost any hit will down drones, chance of drones surviving hits is almost zero.

Ardabas34

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Bayraktar Caldiran, TB2s forefather
2019101108414328308.jpg

Doc2SKpW4AE2h47.jpg

201910811534628011.jpg

TB2 PT-1 prototype
PlatformKalkisTaktik.JPG

Very interesting to see the evolution of this wonderful gem.

Now some of you will again find this nitpicky but...

why would you name the system after a place of battle with our Azerbaijani brothers? Couldnt you find a more proper name? You name it after a battle place which is odd, at least chose something like Niğbolu, Plevne, Sakarya, İnönü, Çanakkale, Kut...

I mean there are tons of battles with crusaders, Europeans etc. You choose a battle between fellow Turks.

I am glad they didnt try to sell these to Azerbaijan.

Test7

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
18 19,918
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
Isn't these type of pictures risky for national security? It reveals critical parts of a system, which device is where. IMO An laser air defence system in the future could target specific component to down the drone easily. Whatever, they like bragging and propaganda more than security.

These images do not make much sense without knowing the technical features, compatibility and algorithms of the devices used. , You can even find out almost which cable goes where on the F-22. Those who develop and manufacture these planes are not stupid.

Click for zoom
3dd00b6c9c8af290488514f555607551_auto_x1.jpg

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
These images do not make much sense without knowing the technical features, compatibility and algorithms of the devices used. , You can even find out almost which cable goes where on the F-22. Those who develop and manufacture these planes are not stupid.

Click for zoom
View attachment 16533
Well shiver me timbers, I wondered where they snuck all the communication and electronic warfare antennae's on the F-22 Raptor :)

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom