Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
18 19,918
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
Ukrainian, Turkish aviation companies have close relations, head of Antonov says

Ukraine: Aviation firm Antonov aims to work with Turkey

Ukrainian aircraft producer Antonov aims to cooperate with the Turkish aviation industry for the production of AN-178 aircraft, said the company's CEO.
Last week, a Ukrainian delegation visited Turkey's shipyards and aircraft manufacturers, and evaluated the potential cooperation, Oleksandr Los told Anadolu Agency.

"We are in close interaction and discussion with our Turkish friends, the TEI [TUSAS Engine Industries] and other companies," he noted.
Los added: "And that's why we've already reached a level where top managers can speak about potential cooperation on the industrialization of the AN-178 in Ukraine and Turkey."

Several potential cooperation fields exist between the two nations, not only the defense area, but also the commercial segment -- such as passenger aircraft -- he stressed.
The delegation also visited Turkey's missile industry facilities, and was very impressed, the company's CEO added.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,005
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Lets produce the AN 178 and turn it into a Gunship!!!!

How badass that would be.

Test7

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
18 19,918
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
I hope that next step is An-188 project with Aselsan avionics and western engines.

DdJiIPuUQAA-gxX

Glass🚬

Contributor
Reactions
2 3,159
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
makes sense, the CN-235 will need to be replaced in a decade and the C-130 are also not the newest bunch so offer should be evaluated.

Test7

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
18 19,918
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is stated that these planes are quite cheap compared to their western counterparts. Turkish air forces can use An-178 and An-188 as platforms in many missions.

The Dutchman

Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Netherlands
Ukrainian, Turkish aviation companies have close relations, head of Antonov says

Ukraine: Aviation firm Antonov aims to work with Turkey

Ukrainian aircraft producer Antonov aims to cooperate with the Turkish aviation industry for the production of AN-178 aircraft, said the company's CEO.
Last week, a Ukrainian delegation visited Turkey's shipyards and aircraft manufacturers, and evaluated the potential cooperation, Oleksandr Los told Anadolu Agency.

"We are in close interaction and discussion with our Turkish friends, the TEI [TUSAS Engine Industries] and other companies," he noted.
Los added: "And that's why we've already reached a level where top managers can speak about potential cooperation on the industrialization of the AN-178 in Ukraine and Turkey."

Several potential cooperation fields exist between the two nations, not only the defense area, but also the commercial segment -- such as passenger aircraft -- he stressed.
The delegation also visited Turkey's missile industry facilities, and was very impressed, the company's CEO added.

What kind of engines does it use?

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,737
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think we have to remember that any decision to use non western design will bring additional costs to it.

Unless of course we can fit it with our own flight systems. In short AN delivers the engine and tech, we build it as we want it.

A400, C-130, AN-178, CN235, and AN70.

I think CN235 and AN70 could be good in AWAC solution the longer time they can fly and range the better it is. IMO.

We have to be smart about this. I know Ukraine needs reliable allies, but I am not sure it's cost effective to spread our investments too much. Akinci engine is fine an all, and some other things might be good too. But compared to Ukraine we should stick to what we know and be pragmatic and economic about this.

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,472
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think we have to remember that any decision to use non western design will bring additional costs to it.

Unless of course we can fit it with our own flight systems. In short AN delivers the engine and tech, we build it as we want it.

A400, C-130, AN-178, CN235, and AN70.

I think CN235 and AN70 could be good in AWAC solution the longer time they can fly and range the better it is. IMO.

We have to be smart about this. I know Ukraine needs reliable allies, but I am not sure it's cost effective to spread our investments too much. Akinci engine is fine an all, and some other things might be good too. But compared to Ukraine we should stick to what we know and be pragmatic and economic about this.
In the past the Ukrainians were talking about joint production of An-158, An-178 and An-70. I am sure we will be able to integrate our subsystems in their platforms. At that state we have critical projects like An-178 and An-188. As some stated they will be cheaper than their Western alternatives and also their capabilities are on a perfect level. When taking in account our aging medium lifter fleet the An-178 can be a perfect solution for that problem as we are able to bring also our requirements to the Ukrainian side, integrate domestic subsystems and can modify the aircraft to our taste.

An-188 on its side is competitor to the A-400. One question is still in my head and that is the heavy lifter. As our posture in the region and beyond is increasing we saw how bad we need a heavy lifter in the class of C-17 Globemaster.

T

Turko

Ukraine has already achieved the level of producing without russian spare parts and supply.

The Antonov aviation concern has manufactured the first production An-178 transport aircraft without Russian parts. This was stated by the president of Antonov State Enterprise Alexander Los, reports Ukrinform.

"This is the first aircraft without Russian parts. We are accused of not producing serial aircraft for several years. But with the beginning of the Russian military aggression in 2014, we lost not only the sales market, but also the market for the supply of important components. It took some time. import substitution and search for new suppliers, "he said.

According to Los, on this type of aircraft about 2/3 of the equipment of corporations from the United States of America, another third - of domestic production.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,052
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
So maybe just a rumour but apparently we tried and failed to buy used C130 from Spain, according to Spanish media. Saw it a couple days ago, but cant find the source anymore. AN178 is not in the same class, but seems like there's not that many alternatives around.

Y

Yoyo

According to Antonov's website, AN-178 can haul 18 tons, whereas the C-130 hauls 19 tons.

Is that 1 ton difference really all that important?

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,472
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
So maybe just a rumour but apparently we tried and failed to buy used C130 from Spain, according to Spanish media. Saw it a couple days ago, but cant find the source anymore. AN178 is not in the same class, but seems like there's not that many alternatives around.
According to Antonov's website, AN-178 can haul 18 tons, whereas the C-130 hauls 19 tons.

Is that 1 ton difference really all that important?
Everything have it's positives and negatives and I think the positives of An-178 are a lot. Even if it have -1 ton against the C-130 it is a very good alternative for Turkey.

When it comes to the overall performance like cruise speed, cruise altitude, range it clearly have the upper hand here. Also the fact that we can contribute to it's manufacturing and integrate national sub-systems is not to be missed. It's not so different in possibilities in terms of payloads than the C-130. They are nearly similar in that regard.
1600036568292.png

1600036617359.png

1600036672069.png

1600036696249.png

1600036734356.png

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
11 4,954
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
I'm a big supporter of this cooperation.

The AN-70 for example is the direct competitor to A-400M Atlas which is currently in Turkish inventory.
The measurments of the both aircrafts are pretty similar, so is the performance but the AN-70 just costs ~70 million, while A-400M ~150 million. Price/Performance wise unbeatable.

Also the AN-188 which is basically a AN-70 with Turbofan was once a topic for TuAF. We should favour Antonov aircrafts with Turkish involvement any day over C-130 or A-400M.

1600077752265.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom