Spain Moderator
Reactions
2 1,135
Nation of residence
Spain
Nation of origin
Spain
Not very effective to use multiple types of tanks in the same Time

I would be very surprised if we send 53 tanks in a first batch... even if we send a company of them.

They are counting 53 in total from storage, some of those tanks were flooded in mud and water from Guadiana river many years ago. It was such a flood that it breaked a wall from the storage facility, some of them were completely drowned in mud.
So right now, the last assesment made in summer, realized that we have:

-20 Leo2A4 in "good conditions" only a minor/medium maintenance might be needed and probably upgrades.
-20 Leo2A4 in recoverable state, they will need mayor maintenance and replace important parts.
-13 Leo2A4 in very bad state, some of them without some parts taken to repair the others in Ceuta and Melilla.

We have to wait to what MoD wants to do, today the minister said "blablabla we are discussing the needs and what we can do" No numbers or versions.

If we are smart we can ask to Germany to allow us to build Leo2A6 or 2A7 under license again in Spain, about 100 in total, for replacing the 50 Leo2A4 in Ceuta and Melilla and the companies of 2A6 that should be sent to UKR. It would be good for Europe as we can restart the production of Leos in two factories. But I might be so optimistic.... Let's wait for official info.

Edit including description of the floodings ocurred in 1997 just a year after receiving those "up to 53 Leos" which are hanging around twitter:

Not much else would happen throughout 1997, except for an event that had serious consequences for the BRIMZ XI, in Badajoz. Between November 5 and 7, the copious rains caused the flooding of two tributaries of the Guadiana River, and the flooding of a part of the city -causing casualties-, including the quartering of the RIMZ Castilla 16, and the entire battalion of tanks , and being practically buried under water all the Leopard 2A4. It was a huge disaster. Civilian losses were heavy and the tank battalion was practically wiped out of the ET deployment.

34453351-ejercitos-del-mundo-06-historia-leopard_20.jpg

Source

Last edited:

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
9 8,956
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
The irony. If Germany hadn't embargoed the delivery of Altays engines since 2018 Turkey could have donated(if willing) the vast majority of its Leopard 2A4 inventory to Ukraine.

Now I'm excited to see when we will see the first Articles in western news sites how Turkey should donate its Leo tanks and when we say no how we become a bad ally and partner. :)

It is also telling how germany wont ask Turkey because they know what our people will tell them "You shouldn't have sabotaged our Altay project". :)

Also interesting how the US suddenly made an U-turn with the Abrams but still they could easily pledge over a hundred Abrams for Ukraine and have the crews trained.

I still suspect Turkiye will send some tanks but they won't advertise it. I would also suspect that once america elevates the war to where even F16's being sent is acceptable i see Baykar sending Akincis to Ukraine too.

In the early days Putin was threatening everyone not to get involved and not to materially support Ukraine, but his threats had no bite behind them. We are at a stage where everyone loves to advertise what they are sending just to further antagonise Russia. Just look at tiny Latvia and how many times they led the way in talking about what needs to be sent.

This war is a phenomenal disaster for Putin. If we look at this from the aspect of competition between the USA and Russia, this is a colossal victory for America and they have barely had to do anything while Russians by the tens of thousands are getting blown away in Ukraine.

Latebra Factum

Reactions
2 627
Nation of residence
Morocco
Nation of origin
Moroco
I would be very surprised if we send 53 tanks in a first batch... even if we send a company of them.

They are counting 53 in total from storage, some of those tanks were flooded in mud and water from Ebro river many years ago. It was such a flood that it breaked a wall from the storage facility, some of them were completely drowned in mud.
So right now, the last assesment made in summer, realized that we have:

-20 Leo2A4 in "good conditions" only a minor/medium maintenance might be needed and probably upgrades.
-20 Leo2A4 in recoverable state, they will need mayor maintenance and replace important parts.
-13 Leo2A4 in very bad state, some of them without some parts taken to repair the others in Ceuta and Melilla.

We have to wait to MoD what they want to do, for now today the minister said "blablabla we are discussing the needs and what we can do" No numbers or versions.

If we are smart we can ask to Germany to allow us to build Leo2A6 or 2A7 under license again in Spain, about 100 in total, for replacing the 50 Leo2A4 in Ceuta and Melilla and the companies of 2A6 that should be sent to URK. It would be good for Europe as we can restart the production of Leos in two factories. But I might be so optimistic.... Let's wait for official info.
If i was the Minister of defense , i would rely of IFVs and tank destroyers , they're agile , pack a hell of a punch (30 mm , 105 mm ...) and easily maintained and fixed , as we saw in the Russo-Ukraine war , tanks are nigh-obsolete , regarding their slowness and too costly to maintain in a conflict, a simple Javelin or Skif ATGM can decapitate its turret or destroy its tracks.
I've heard that Spain is making its own version of the LAV III , under the variant Dragón 8×8 , how's that going ?

Kathirz

Contributor
Spain Moderator
Reactions
2 1,135
Nation of residence
Spain
Nation of origin
Spain
If i was the Minister of defense , i would rely of IFVs and tank destroyers , they're agile , pack a hell of a punch (30 mm , 105 mm ...) and easily maintained and fixed , as we saw in the Russo-Ukraine war , tanks are nigh-obsolete , regarding their slowness and too costly to maintain in a conflict, a simple Javelin or Skif ATGM can decapitate its turret or destroy its tracks.
I've heard that Spain is making its own version of the LAV III , under the variant Dragón 8×8 , how's that going ?

I agree with this we can send ASCOD/Pizarros and Centauros in good quantities, without hurting so much our capabilities, and they are also in phases of being replaced.
But being one of the EU countries with most Leopards, (I think we might discard Greece), only Germans and us have Leopards in good quantities, so probably the agreement would be Spain to send Leopards and others IFV's, etc. And at industrial level could be good for us if Germans allows us to build them here and even export them, given the circunstances.

Regarding the Dragón, latest new I've heard, its production started past month and would be finished in 2027 with around 350 units.

Autotranslated article:

Latebra Factum

Reactions
2 627
Nation of residence
Morocco
Nation of origin
Moroco
I agree with this we can send ASCOD/Pizarros and Centauros in good quantities, without hurting so much our capabilities, and they are also in phases of being replaced.
But being one of the EU countries with most Leopards, (I think we might discard Greece), only Germans and us have Leopards in good quantities, so probably the agreement would be Spain to send Leopards and others IFV's, etc. And at industrial level could be good for us if Germans allows us to build them here and even export them, given the circunstances.

Regarding the Dragón, latest new I've heard, its production started past month and would be finished in 2027 with around 350 units.

Autotranslated article:

I don't think that there's an emergency in Spain that requires building factories for the Leopards, but maybe u know something i don't , the point is , if Spain have some reserve IFVs like the Pizarro, you could send them as u Said without decreasing the numbers of tanks to remain in an acceptable situationnal awareness level ,
The Dragon , i heard that it will contain some israeli RWS like the Samson , a great system Imo

Relic

Contributor
Canada Correspondent
Reactions
11 2,337
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
Canada
What types of tanks Canada have in its inventory ?
We have 20 Leopard 2A6Ms and approximately 44-45 Leopard 2A4's.

Canada has had a substantial maintenance issue with its tanks, however, and doesn't have a lot of them in fantastic shape. I'd be genuinely surprised if we were willing to send any more than 6-8 tanks (similar to Norway) and they would almost definitely be 2A4s. At the very most I would think that 10 would be the maximum that we could afford to send in any type of shorter order.

As I've said previously, in terms of "tank support" for Ukraine in 2023, the MAXIMUM I would expect them to get is the following (by year's end)

USA: 60-100x (M1A1 Abrams)
Britain: 14x (Challenger 2)
Germany: 14x (Leopard 2A6)
German industry: 20-22x (Leopard 2A4)- required restoration work
German industry: 40-50x (Leopard 1)- Required restoration work
France: 14x (Leclerc)
Spain: 30-40x (Leopard 2A4)- required restoration work
Poland: 14-28x (Leopard 2PL)- Would require more of their Abrams and K2's to arrive in order to send 28.
Czech Republic: 15x (Leopard 2A4)- Received in a recent vehicle exchange with Germany
Czech Industry: 90x (T-72)- Being restored and sent. Funded by USA and Netherlands.
Slovakia: 15x (Leopard 2A4)- Received in a recent vehicle exchange with Germany
Netherlands: 14x (Leopard 2A6)
Canada: 10x (Leopard 2A4)
Finland: 10-14x (Leopard 2A4)
Sweden: 10-14x (Leopard 2A4)
Norway: 6-8x (Leopard 2A6)
Portugal: 4-6 (Leopard 2A6)
Morocco: 60-120x (T-72)- Would be backfilled, along with logistics and support by Leopard 2s or Abrams.
Cyprus: 80x (T-80)- Would be backfilled, along with logistics and support by Leopard 2s or Abrams.

Total: 520-668

Last edited:

Kathirz

Contributor
Spain Moderator
Reactions
2 1,135
Nation of residence
Spain
Nation of origin
Spain
I don't think that there's an emergency in Spain that requires building factories for the Leopards, but maybe u know something i don't , the point is , if Spain have some reserve IFVs like the Pizarro, you could send them as u Said without decreasing the numbers of tanks to remain in an acceptable situationnal awareness level ,
The Dragon , i heard that it will contain some israeli RWS like the Samson , a great system Imo

Correct, we are not in a hurry, but Europe might be in the future, as we don't know when this war would end, and restarting the factories is not easy, as I think they/we didn't build a Leopard for 10 years.

We are not going to do almost anything with a couple of tank companies, at the end we might need to send 200-300 tanks and those will need to be replaced.
So we can replace our functional LeoA24, and get some more Leo2A6 (our army loves them) and have capacity to help to any need EU countries could have in a near future, including Ukraine. That's my thought but I can be very wrong...

Latebra Factum

Reactions
2 627
Nation of residence
Morocco
Nation of origin
Moroco
Correct, we are not in a hurry, but Europe might be in the future, as we don't know when this war would end, and restarting the factories is not easy, as I think they/we didn't build a Leopard for 10 years.

We are not going to do almost anything with a couple of tank companies, at the end we might need to send 200-300 tanks and those will need to be replaced.
So we can replace our functional LeoA24, and get some more Leo2A6 (our army loves them) and have capacity to help to any need EU countries could have in a near future, including Ukraine. That's my thought but I can be very wrong...
True true , but if u're gonna send 200-300 tanks to Ukraine, it would be difficult to replace the old stocks of 2A4s with 2A6 , the factories would be overloaded with acquisitions from , literally, almost all of NATO . A question, why haven't Spain bought the M1 Abrams to replace the Leopards ?, i find it highly upgradable with israeli tech like the Iron Fist APS and other western systems and trustworthy for its Armor

Kathirz

Contributor
Spain Moderator
Reactions
2 1,135
Nation of residence
Spain
Nation of origin
Spain
True true , but if u're gonna send 200-300 tanks to Ukraine, it would be difficult to replace the old stocks of 2A4s with 2A6 , the factories would be overloaded with acquisitions from , literally, almost all of NATO . A question, why haven't Spain bought the M1 Abrams to replace the Leopards ?, i find it highly upgradable with israeli tech like the Iron Fist APS and other western systems and trustworthy for its Armor

Because we were used to deal with Leopards 2A4 and Germans allowed us to make the tanks here, including the engine in our shipyards under Rolls Royce license. Only a few parts were need to be sent from Germany to complete the tanks, so it was a very good industrial plan for our country.

Article from 1995:

Latebra Factum

Reactions
2 627
Nation of residence
Morocco
Nation of origin
Moroco
We have 20 Leopard 2A6Ms and approximately 44-45 Leopard 2A4's.

Canada has had a substantial maintenance issue with its tanks, however, and doesn't have a lot of them in fantastic shape. I'd be genuinely surprised if we were willing to send any more than 6-8 tanks (similar to Norway) and they would almost definitely be 2A4s. At the very most I would think that 10 would be the maximum that we could afford to send in any type of shorter order.
Canada doesn't have a threat that requires any type of heavy armour like tanks , the best thing to do is to give a significant number of Leopards to Ukraine (Saving the maintenance and refubrishement money) , replace them with LAV 6.0 or Stryker Dragoons , and voilà, an agile and heavily armed armoured force , basically for Law enforcement and counter-terrorism missions

Latebra Factum

Reactions
2 627
Nation of residence
Morocco
Nation of origin
Moroco
Because we were used to deal with Leopards 2A4 and Germans allowed us to make the tanks here, including the engine in our shipyards under Rolls Royce license. Only a few parts were need to be sent from Germany to complete the tanks, so it was a very good industrial plan for our country.

Article from 1995:
Oh , so what u're saying is that the army's backbone is the Leopard tank , then i don't think that Spain will give much of it

Relic

Contributor
Canada Correspondent
Reactions
11 2,337
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
Canada
Canada doesn't have a threat that requires any type of heavy armour like tanks , the best thing to do is to give a significant number of Leopards to Ukraine (Saving the maintenance and refubrishement money) , replace them with LAV 6.0 or Stryker Dragoons , and voilà, an agile and heavily armed armoured force , basically for Law enforcement and counter-terrorism missions
We're already upgrading a bunch of our LAV III's to LAV 6.0's. We'll also purchase new LAV 6.0s to supplement the force. The needs for MBTs has definitely not a normal thing for Canada, however, we've been caught unprepared before. When we went to Afghanistan, our Leo 1 tanks were in shambles, but we brought them anyways. We quickly resorted to buying 2A4s off the German and 2A6s of the Dutch, to finish our commitment to that campaign. Canada has to decide if it wants to be in the business of fielding tanks at all. If they want to, they ought to use some of the new military spending that is coming down the pipe to buy about 120 Leopard 2A7s. Otherwise, I agree, ship them to Urkaine.

E

Era_shield

U.S. asked Israel for its Hawk missiles to send to Ukraine​

Israel told the U.S. there is no change in Israel’s policy not to provide weapons systems to Ukraine.

Israeli soliders stand next to a HAWK system near Jericho in 1993. Photo: Esaias Baitel/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images

Israeli officials stand next to a Hawk system in Jericho in 1993. Photo: Esaias Baitel/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images
The Biden administration asked Israel for the old Hawk anti-aircraft missiles it has in storage in order to transfer them to Ukraine, three Israeli and U.S. officials told Axios.
Why it matters: Israel has so far rejected most U.S. and Ukrainian requests to provide advanced and defensive weaponry to Ukraine over concerns that such a move could create tensions with Russia and harm Israeli security interests in Syria.
  • Ukraine has repeatedly asked Western countries for such weapons to help it defend itself against Russian strikes.
  • Between the lines: Russia holds enormous influence in Syria but allows Israel to operate freely against Iranian activity there.
Flashback: Israel purchased the Hawk system from the U.S. in the 1960s to defend itself against Egyptian and Syrian airstrikes.
  • At the time, the Raytheon-developed anti-aircraft system was cutting-edge technology. But in more recent years, Israel has turned to other systems, including the U.S. Patriot battery and its own Iron Dome and Arrow defensive systems.
  • A decade ago, the Israeli military took the Hawk system out of service. A senior Israeli official told Axios that about 10 Hawk batteries and hundreds of interceptors remain in storage in Israel.
Behind the scenes: Senior Israeli and U.S. officials said the Pentagon reached out to the Israeli Defense Ministry two weeks ago and requested the Hawk systems that are in storage in order to transfer them to Ukraine.
  • A U.S. official said similar requests were made to several other countries that had the system in active service or in storage.
  • The senior Israeli official said an Israeli Defense Ministry official told their U.S. counterparts there is no change in Israel’s policy not to provide weapons systems to Ukraine.
  • According to the Israeli official, the Defense Ministry official said Israel's Hawk systems are “obsolete” and can’t function because of how long they've been in storage without maintenance.
  • But the Israeli officials say that the response wasn't accurate. They stressed that while the launchers might be completely dysfunctional, the hundreds of Hawk interceptors Israel has in storage can be refurbished and used.
  • The Israeli Defense Ministry reiterated to Axios in a statement that the "position of the Israel security establishment [on giving military aid to Ukraine] hasn’t changed. Every request is being reviewed on a case-by-case basis.”
What they're saying: Earlier this month, U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin gave a speech at an AIPAC leadership conference in Washington in which he hinted at the U.S. request to Israel for the Hawk missiles. But his remarks went almost completely unnoticed.
  • In the speech, Austin mentioned how the Hawk systems helped Israel defend itself in the 1967 Six-Day War and 1973 Yom Kippur War, also known as the October War.
  • "Now, the Hawks are no longer state-of-the-art technology. But they can still help a besieged democracy defend itself," Austin said.
  • He added that the U.S. is working with its allies and partners to provide the Hawk capability to Ukraine.

What a great US ally.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,950
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkiye has lots of surplus but the problem is they need these old stuff incase a total war scenario happens.

Turkiye is in such a geography of chaos.

Hence why any kind of weapon regardless of its old and new will have to be used.

Australia is phasing out its Eurocopter Tigers I think they are better off being given to Ukraine who will effectively use them.

Relic

Contributor
Canada Correspondent
Reactions
11 2,337
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
Canada
Official release from U.S. DoD on the first 31 Abrams tanks + supply and support vehicles being sent to Ukraine. The total value of the package is $400 million USD.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom