Will Turkey Seek Chinese Or Korean Fighters If F-16 Request Is Denied?

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,124
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think TEI is currently developing the 3000hp ~70cm diameter TS-3000 turboshaft engine for Atak-2. Unlike the ~58-60cm diameter, radial compressor type TS1400, I think that this new engine was developed in axial flow type similar to TJ-300, and thus higher efficiency can be obtained from the turbofan version of this engine. With the TF-6000 axial flow turbofan engine developed from the same diameter core, TEI will reach a thrust power of over 10000lb with afterburners (TEI official confirmed that they are working on an engine of this power) and this value will be a super efficient engine for MIUS and TISU like supersonic platforms (Supersonic MIUS will be powered with Ukrainian 9000lbf class engine)

We expect TAI to be working on the TS3000 and TF6000 however I won't be at ease before I see the diamond pattern behind the turbofan engine. I had personally seen a Turbojet or a turbofan engine at the TEI stand at one of the trade-shows like 4-5 years ago when its sibling the TS1400 first emerged but we haven't ever seen or heard from it in a long time.

We want to see the progress, we want to see it now!!

Zapper

Experienced member
India Correspondent
Reactions
10 804
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
India
Good question!
Saab Gripen is a very capable plane. But made by Sweden; a staunch critic of Turkish government. Some may say, “money is king”. But the Plane itself is not that much more advanced to warrant it as a stop gap.
Eurofighter is probably the best 4+ class there is. But the German partnership could be a problem. Also it is suspect, if it can be in the inventory in time before TFX is ready.
With the number of American sub-systems going in Gripen, it's not any different from getting a complete US platform like the F-16

1643044658584.png

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
110 14,682
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
With the number of American sub-systems going in Gripen, it's not any different from getting a complete US platform like the F-16

View attachment 38953
To tell you the truth, the only thing that really is great about this plane is that, it has a very agile airframe that performs really well with a comparatively small engine like f414 and it’s GaN based Aeas radar on the new E and F versions.
Biggest down side , apart from all those US and foreign equipment, it is a single engined plane. TAF really needs a twin engined jet fighter.
TFX all the way!!

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom