Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,599
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I watched the full video there is nothing to be said. Total annihilation of Saudi forward positions. There were mostly mercs in the video but there was also a good amount of regular Saudi troops that died while fighting Houthis.

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,213
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
I watched the full video there is nothing to be said. Total annihilation of Saudi forward positions. There were mostly mercs in the video but there was also a good amount of regular Saudi troops that died while fighting Houthis.
Do you think Turkish troops could fight a war in that terrain well or not?

Deliorman

Contributor
Reactions
4 3,487
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Bulgaria

In much of the Southeast of Turkey the terrain is much worse than what we saw in the video. Turkish troops have outposts there on places even above 3000 meters- we talk about a pretty harsh place where in the winter the temperatures go even below -30C pretty easily.

8ED8A214-B48F-490C-B480-B4714AA72548.jpeg

6C15E8EB-2FA3-4C56-BA5F-A1FE7F33AFD2.jpeg

C0C7E1BD-F9EB-443E-88CA-52A97CA4E96B.jpeg

Of course that Turkish outpost have been attacked by the PKK before but something like in that video from Yemen is absolutely unthinkable. I knew that Saudis aren’t the most disciplined and well prepared fighters but what I saw in the video absolutely shocked me... That was an absolute massacre done to them by some guys in flip flops that are high on Khat and can’t even hold their AKs straight. Absolute madness.

Saudis had the high ground, they had modern weaponry... and yet their troops preferred to run away down the cliffs without even trying to hold positions. The ambushes on the road were normal- they can happen to anyone...

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,599
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkish troops have been fighting in a far worse terrain both in and outside Turkey's border for decades. 2000 to 4000-meter mountain ranges,-40 to +40 degree temperature differences, heavily fortified deep cave networks, urban city centers with civilians, thick forests, deep valleys with rivers, areas with little to no road network, hostile locals in some areas, and even desert/desert-like terrain. Anatolia, Northern Syria, and Northern Iraq have one of the most diverse climate and geography in the world.

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
73 15,919
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
The terrain in that Turkish soldiers are operating on Turkey-Iraq-Iran border is not the same but have some similarity to that of Yemen. It is a game of peaks, overwatch and coordination between the outposts. To be flanked like that and such a mass retreat is unthinkable. The biggest threats Turkish soldiers face right now are ATGM teams, IEDs and ambushes. Of course Turkey also gave casualties in its war and don't want to sound arrogant or something like that but the level is very different. Turkey both haves a good trained ground troops but also utilizes on a pretty good level CAS support.

In order to understand the terrain in which the current operations are going on in Northern Iraq I will put two videos. The first one is only demonstration with weapons firing and not a combat footage.

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,213
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
The terrain in that Turkish soldiers are operating on Turkey-Iraq-Iran border is not the same but have some similarity to that of Yemen. It is a game of peaks, overwatch and coordination between the outposts. To be flanked like that and such a mass retreat is unthinkable. The biggest threats Turkish soldiers face right now are ATGM teams, IEDs and ambushes. Of course Turkey also gave casualties in its war and don't want to sound arrogant or something like that but the level is very different. Turkey both haves a good trained ground troops but also utilizes on a pretty good level CAS support.

In order to understand the terrain in which the current operations are going on in Northern Iraq I will put two videos. The first one is only demonstration with weapons firing and not a combat footage.

PKK seem like amateurs compared to Houthis, Yemenis can't be compared to Kurds at all to be fair.

They may seem like flip flop wearing illiterates but their culture is very strong and they are very strong for their cause.

They also seem like they have much better equipment than PKK from Iran.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,697
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
PKK seem like amateurs compared to Houthis, Yemenis can't be compared to Kurds at all to be fair.

They may seem like flip flop wearing illiterates but their culture is very strong and they are very strong for their cause.

For that you need to understand what the PKK is,
The PKK in brief are a group of kurds asses who believe that they should have their own country. Now is that a good idea, obviousky not but it is a gold standard for weakening other nations; i-e, reducing turkey land area, population and possible resources like gold etc..... Now the prime example of how the PKK IDeology sucks is Kurdistan in Iraq. They boasted about independence and now they cant even pay their own ppl salaries unless iraq give them the money. Many iraqi kurds wanna rejoin iraq but the kurdistan government (backed by foreign forces) dont wanna iraq get back its border

Now for why Houthis are better than the PKK. the houthis are iran proxies that wanna give yemen to iran. Obviously yemen is more closer to the sunni SAUDI ARABIA, so iran is investing heavily in shia militias
But the PKK wanna separate from syria and iraq, areas which are already under irans influence, so no need to support them too much. I can bet iran just supports PKK to try and break turkey as they have a strong military, has geopolitical influence, a NATO member, good economy, shares borders with iran , and a majorly sunni country;i-e A COMPETITOR

That is why PKK sucks compared to the houthis since they arent worth the investment. The only countries which supports the PKK is pdobably the USA, Europe and Israel for disrupting iran, amd turkey

Test7

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
17 19,905
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
There is only one reason why Saudi soldiers die. not to fight!! Hearing the sound of bullets, the Saudi soldier starts to run and becomes an easy target for the Houthis. This is what I see in the video. The first thing they had to do was get down and take positions when they heard the sound. Who is training these soldiers?

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,697
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
There is only one reason why Saudi soldiers die. not to fight!! Hearing the sound of bullets, the Saudi soldier starts to run and becomes an easy target for the Houthis. This is what I see in the video. The first thing they had to do was get down and take positions when they heard the sound. Who is training these soldiers?
Saudi Military is one of the weakest militaries on earth
Many believe that they are strong because of the advanced weaponry they have but that is in fact quite wrong. At the end of the day, Arabs will be arabs and the bedouin mentallity will never disappear. SAUDI ARABIA is what we call a paper tiger..... like i can bet Vietnam are stronger than them

I remember one USA general saying: It doesnt matter what kind of weapons you give to a monkey, at the end its worth is just like a stick. If you give a machine gun to a monkey, he wont aim and shoot but will just swing it around like a stick; so what is the difference. This is the Saudi army in a nutshell

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,822
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Saudi Military is one of the weakest militaries on earth
Many believe that they are strong because of the advanced weaponry they have but that is in fact quite wrong. At the end of the day, Arabs will be arabs and the bedouin mentallity will never disappear. SAUDI ARABIA is what we call a paper tiger..... like i can bet Vietnam are stronger than them

I remember one USA general saying: It doesnt matter what kind of weapons you give to a monkey, at the end its worth is just like a stick. If you give a machine gun to a monkey, he wont aim and shoot but will just swing it around like a stick; so what is the difference. This is the Saudi army in a nutshell

Technology makes up for the short comings.

Lets not forget that the Saudis even feared a Saddam invasion thats right they even feared a weakened Saddam ran military in desert storm.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,822
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Saudi Arabia is nothing more than losing the proxy conflict against Iran.

Iran has syria, iraq and lebanon in its pocket while yemen is next. Saudi Arabia only won in Bahrain.

Saudi Arabia made shit even worse by alienating and becoming hostile to Turkey.

Last edited:

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
73 15,919
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey

Its not that they are amateurs. Its our soldiers that are making them look like amateurs.

When it comes to personal equipment I can say that PKK's weapons are better than the Houthies but the design of their uniforms suck. The color is perfect for their terrain but the cut is not good. They are long time users of Mekap work shoes which are both light and very rugged for the bad terrain. For the infiltrators there are ghillie suits, clothing minimizing thermal output in order not to be detected by thermal E/Os and UAVs (proven to not to be very effective). They also posses large number of thermals and optics.

Their tactics and training are good. Much of the experience gained in Syria was transferred to the units in Northern Iraq. The discipline is on very high level and they are very well structured thanks to its ideology and marxist/leninist roots. Their marksmen are deadly and if not for the protection gear our soldiers wear we would hear many casualty news by sniper fire.

The innovation within is on very high level. They are getting more and more creative when it comes to IED design and placement and also UAVs are extensively used. They even used an RCWSs that our soldiers later captured.

If I have to compare them to the Houthies I would say that Houthies are more capable in weapons of strategic importance thanks to Iran's assistance. I wouldn't say that Houthies are more capable fighters than PKK. I would say that Houthies are blessed with incompetent enemy that is making them look very professional. With all the technology and military resources Saudi Arabia posses we would expect that they would be at least capable of protecting its borders. Yes the terrain is bad but lets not deceive ourselves. Its not Tora Bora. Outposts should be placed on strategic places covering major transit points and on positions where they can cover each other. Surveillance and reconnaissance should be top priority. UAVs and fighter jets should fly. We know the problem is not the resources. In order to understand what the situation is just look inside the bases. It's literally like a dump place. Discipline is zero. Let me tell you a real thing from PKK. PKK is known to keep under surveillance the bases, units and even unit personnel that are its targets for the level of discipline. That way they can distinguish which units would be hard and which easy to attack and one of the criteria of which unit to target is the level of discipline. I watched tens of videos from Yemen and I am yet to see a proper military outpost and discipline. The mercenaries and soldiers inside their bases are way below the level both of the Houthies and PKK.

Some say "Arabs are bad fighters". I say it's not because they are Arabs but because the real fighting spirit and discipline is neglected. The real battle is inside your head and if you lose that one there is no other battle you can win. The people inside these outpost just didn't want to fight.

There is a different example of Arab fighters and its the Algerian People's National Armed Forces and I just can't imagine how that would work on them. Gulf armies should take example from Algeria and come to their senses because the security situation is not bright and we know that successful measures are not taken after a crisis but before it. I again fear that I will sound bad but having money, latest model fighter jets, air defence systems and everything is just a part of the fight. The real fight is the level of the officers taking decisions, their ability to take initiative and the professionalism and courage of the soldier on the field. It will always be the human that will guard the objective and not the Abrams or Leopard. They are just tools.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom