Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
25 5,259
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Just asking out of curiosity. It seems to be a very tiny religion. Only 50000 followers apparently. Are you a cultural follower or do you believe in the specific pagan doctrine?
I started as a cultural follower.

At the most basic level I adhered to the fundamentals such as not polluting, living in harmony with nature, etc.

After performing rituals I actually started to believe in it and my worldview completely changed. It pulled me out of years of depression.

It's really weird, but the message I got was that this world is supposed to be one where both happiness and suffering exists, where death is just around the corner and that's what makes this "reality" so exciting. This is in contrast to the spirit realms where there is no death. Essentially our bodies are vessels for spirits to experience this dangerous world.

I can get into the rituals in detail, but yes they are of psychedelic nature and you do meet deities and past relatives.

With all that said, Tengrism doesn't claim to be the one true religion, and one of the core aspects of it is that god or other deities may reach other people in completely different ways.

I could talk about this for days, perhaps I'll write something more in depth this weekend.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,244
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Just asking out of curiosity. It seems to be a very tiny religion. Only 50000 followers apparently. Are you a cultural follower or do you believe in the specific pagan doctrine?

Tengrism and Shamanism are the native religions of Turks you can say native religions of the Central Asian Steppes like the Turks, Huns, Mongols, Bulgars and Magyars.

There are instances of Turks following Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity like Nestorian, Zoroastrianism, Manchiaeism.

Now Islam is the majority religion of most Turkic peoples.

Yakuts, Tuvans and Altais are the only few I believe that actually hold onto Tengrism. Mongolia used to be majority Tengrism but now they follow Tibetan Buddhism.

Not all Turks are Muslim not all Muslims are Turks.

Its a diverse world.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
68 8,044
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Tengrism and Shamanism are the native religions of Turks you can say native religions of the Central Asian Steppes like the Turks, Huns, Mongols, Bulgars and Magyars.

There are instances of Turks following Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity like Nestorian, Zoroastrianism, Manchiaeism.

Yakuts, Tuvans and Altais are the only few I believe that actually hold onto Tengrism. Mongolia used to be majority Tengrism but now they follow Tibetan Buddhism.

Not all Turks are Muslim not all Muslims are Turks.

Its a diverse world.

Most ethnicities has one dominant religion. Vast majority of them follows it/borne into it. For Turks, Arabs and Iranians it is Islam. Interestingly for Bengalis, roughly one fourth are Hindus and 3/4 are Muslims. Though we have been leaving side by side for thousand years. But the most crazy part is how we changed our religion all together. I mean Bengal, more specifically East Bengal was neither hindu nor Muslim majority. It was Buddhist majority. This region was the bastion of Buddhism. Pala empire period considered the golden age of Buddhism. They truly build a great civilization. And then your ancestors came form central Asia on horses and wiped them out. But they also converted us to Islam. So I have mixed feelings.😅

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,244
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Most ethnicities has one dominant religion. Vast majority of them follows it/borne into it. For Turks, Arabs and Iranians it is Islam. Interestingly for Bengalis, roughly one fourth are Hindus and 3/4 are Muslims. Though we have been leaving side by side for thousand years. But the most crazy part is how we changed our religion all together. I mean Bengal, more specifically East Bengal was neither hindu nor Muslim majority. It was Buddhist majority. This region was the bastion of Buddhism. Pala empire period considered the golden age of Buddhism. They truly build a great civilization. And then your ancestors came form central Asia on horses and wiped them out. But they also converted us to Islam. So I have mixed feelings.😅

Whats interesting the Turks have always been warlike regardless if they followed Tengrism or Islam.

Martial prowress continued.

They very much loved raiding and conquering.

Hence why we made enemies with nearly everybody lmaooo

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,244
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey

Conversion to Islam was gradual and happened slowly.

The factors have all varied but despite the Seljuks and the Golden Horde all becoming Muslim they still had soldiers who believed in Tengri.

Lots of our tales and legends have still been around albeit they gave it a Islamic flavour.

Wolves and Wise old Men still continued well into the Islamic Era.

When the Mongols conquered Central Asia became Muslim overtime they actually Islamised the region even more with the Chagatai Khanate.

Yuan Dynasty was only one not to become Muslim out of the Mongol divisions.

Genghis Khan was a Tengrist but his successors overtime left the Nomadic way of life and took up different religions.

Genghis Khan himself predicted one day his descendants will be living in palaces.

Genghis Khan might be a reviled figure worldwide but lots of Turks and Mongols claimed to be his successor like Timur, Babur even the Ottomans.

Despite the damage lots of Muslim Turco Mongols held him in high regard.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
68 8,044
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Conversion to Islam was gradual and happened slowly.

The factors have all varied but despite the Seljuks and the Golden Horde all becoming Muslim they still had soldiers who believed in Tengri.

Lots of our tales and legends have still been around albeit they gave it a Islamic flavour.

Wolves and Wise old Men still continued well into the Islamic Era.

When the Mongols conquered Central Asia became Muslim overtime they actually Islamised the region even more with the Chagatai Khanate.

Yuan Dynasty was only one not to become Muslim out of the Mongol divisions.

Genghis Khan was a Tengrist but his successors overtime left the Nomadic way of life and took up different religions.

Genghis Khan himself predicted one day his descendants will be living in palaces.

Genghis Khan might be a reviled figure worldwide but lots of Turks and Mongols claimed to be his successor like Timur, Babur even the Ottomans.

Despite the damage lots of Muslim Turco Mongols held him in high regard.

While I can say he was a massive POS. He killed so many people that it reduced the carbon emission by 10%. (Source: Joe Rogan podcast🤣)

Mongols really did irreversible damage by destroying Bagdad. Its repercussions are still felt today.

YeşilVatan

Contributor
Reactions
10 1,382
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
While I can say he was a massive POS. He killed so many people that it reduced the carbon emission by 10%. (Source: Joe Rogan podcast🤣)

Mongols really did irreversible damage by destroying Bagdad. Its repercussions are still felt today.
That city was the epicenter of the decadence wrought by the Islamic Golden Age. By the time mongol banners gathered in front of its walls, Baghdad was not the seat of a great geopolitical power, nor was it a scientifically, economically or culturally productive city. Especially in correlation with its population.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,244
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
That city was the epicenter of the decadence wrought by the Islamic Golden Age. By the time mongol banners gathered in front of its walls, Baghdad was not the seat of a great geopolitical power, nor was it a scientifically, economically or culturally productive city. Especially in correlation with its population.

Abbassid Caliphate was just a mere figure head.

Abbassids overtime became religious figure heads while most of the Islamic world was under different empires and kingdoms.

Mahmud of Ghazni was the first to call himself sultan and recognise the Abbassids as the caliphs but he ruled independantly they had no say in his empire.

Seljuks when taking over Iraq left them as figure heads instead of deposing them.

Asena_great

Contributor
Reactions
14 1,570
im not sure about that. we are mostly Muslim in name, in turkey most people are deist without even realizing it. people who pray 5 time a day are around 10-20%. Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan are secular idk much about Kyrgyz and Uzbeks but we Turkmens are only muslim by name. language barrier prevent my people to realized the truth. even before namaz when we do our niyat we do it in Turkmen language and we do our niyat not to allah but to Tengri. many of our belief such as love for animal and nature comes from tengrism. when i was child and playing in our neighbor's yard they had a orange tree with green oranges she told us it is a sin to pick them up because they are not ready. this belief comes from tengrism as well or when her husband wanted to cut branches of a tree or cut a whole tree, he apologies to the tree before the act none of these are islamc. we never call ramazan month as ramazan but as Araz ay who was Araz ?? he was our god of fire before islam. just like picture below in kurban bayrami we put a coal and spilt salt around it like circle this is also come from tengrism. in may belife salts know as incorruptible, nullifys magic and keep bad sprits away. when i come to turkey and meet some syrians iraqis yemenis i realized that we never were muslims in fırst place

20240626_192750.jpg

we make one these near the throat of the sheep before we give " Orthkhot " which means promistion then butcher cute the throat of the sacrifice and blood make the white salt red. this ritule do not exist in turkey
@Tonyukuk do you have something similar in Kazakhstan ??

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom