TR Aftermath of the earthquakes in Turkey's South-east

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Messages
1,796
Reactions
47 8,956
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The contractor himslef explains that construction of buildings with isolators increases the construction cost by a mere 10-15%.

Abi, about half of the cost is the land cost. Contractors are now negotiating between 25% and 45% on average. The prices of parcels suitable for zoning have literally skyrocketed, only difference is that you pay for it in advance.

In the other half of the cost, rough construction is about 25% of the total construction cost. Fine works, equipment and all other construction-related expenditures are the remaining 75%. In other words, making the earthquake isolator compulsory increases the cost of rough construction by about two times, but its share in the total cost is probably less than 10%. If the government lowers the mortgage rates for buildings with isolators a little bit and, for example, if some of this additional cost is deducted from the tax base of the contractor, we can settle this very quickly.

In my opinion, the most important issue is that raft foundation and bored pile technique must be mandatory without being determined according to the ground survey. The other issue is that especially the houses with commercial floors are inspected every year by building inspection companies for non-compliance with the project, column cutting, carrier system removal, etc.
 

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Messages
2,183
Reactions
5 6,708
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Abi, about half of the cost is the land cost. Contractors are now negotiating between 25% and 45% on average. The prices of parcels suitable for zoning have literally skyrocketed, only difference is that you pay for it in advance.

In the other half of the cost, rough construction is about 25% of the total construction cost. Fine works, equipment and all other construction-related expenditures are the remaining 75%. In other words, making the earthquake isolator compulsory increases the cost of rough construction by about two times, but its share in the total cost is probably less than 10%. If the government lowers the loan rates for buildings with isolators a little bit and, for example, if some of this additional cost is deducted from the tax base of the contractor, we can settle this very quickly.

In my opinion, the most important issue is that raft foundation and bored pile technique must be mandatory without being determined according to the ground survey. The other issue is that especially the houses with commercial floors are inspected every year by building inspection companies for non-compliance with the project, column cutting, carrier system removal, etc.
There is no universal solution for an issue, the construction methods are not new and there are ways of calculating cost/effectiveness ratio of a solution.
Just wanna point out that the myth of not being able to build accordingly or it being too expensive is bullshit, our people died due to corruption nothing else.
 

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Messages
2,183
Reactions
5 6,708
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yea, but an extra 10 Billion dollars in 72 hours? Sounds fishy.
To be honest, 34 billion is still a very conservative estimation, Istanbul airport alone cost 23 billion euro and considering the vast area of damage i would be surprised if we dont hear 100 billion in the coming months and years.

Btw: some estimates talk about 300 billion about the tohoku earthquake in Japan, considering how many more buildings destroyed and lives lost in Kahramanmaras earthquake 100 billion seems very realistic to me after adjusting to currency exchange and labor cost.
 

Anmdt

Experienced member
Naval Specialist
Professional
Messages
4,803
Solutions
2
Reactions
68 20,844
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

The only useful industry is what can adapt to new conditions and create concepts based on their expertise.

Karpower (karadeniz power) introduces "lifeship" concept based on their barges that are used for "powerships" and dispatches to iskenderun. With all life facilities being present (possibly along with reverse-osmosis system) introducing a school infastructure for 900 students, a medical area.
 

what

Experienced member
Moderator
Messages
1,879
Reactions
7 5,498
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Interesting article about that one "luxury" building in Hatay in FT:



The US has set up a field hospital in the Hatay region and transferred the facility to the Health ministry:
 

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Messages
7,233
Reactions
42 25,690
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
FqIlNyZXgAA1OmM
 

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Messages
508
Reactions
12 1,346
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
If the admins find it plausible, I think the time has come to change the title of this thread.
As it is, it still reads like a news flash and as if the topic hasn’t evolved or not frequented by contributors.
Not a big issue but just wanted to bring to your attention.
Thanks.
 
Top Bottom