Osman

Committed member
Reactions
2 462
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
This is great news. Look at all the other refinements done to the tank, this delay might turn out to be a gift in disguise.
What will be the ammunition capacity of Altay? 24 rounds? M1 abrams and Leo 2 can carry 42 rounds.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
9 9,040
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
What will be the ammunition capacity of Altay? 24 rounds? M1 abrams and Leo 2 can carry 42 rounds.

Leo 2 carrying 48 is a death trap. Insane that they would place 24 rounds in the front section.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
56 7,372
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
After the most recent protection upgrades they are almost up to 80 iirc, so heavy that their recovery vehicles might not be able to recover that.
I was actually thinking about that yesterday. Afaik, in the current Altay production program of 250(251?) tanks, there is a separate branch on training tanks for tank schools included in that number, but i am yet to see someone mention tank based recovery vehicles in that number, less so with articulated bridge transporters or engineer vehicles. As tank recovery vehicles that can recover a 60 ton tank we only have 16 Bergepanzer 2s and 33 M88A1s. I'm not even sure if M88s can recover Leo 2s. New 8x8 ones are cool but they can't go everywhere tanks go.

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,383
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
If i recall right the production rate of the Altay tank will be 8 tanks a month. 5 for the Turkish army+ 3 for export.

can anyone confirm?

DBdev

Committed member
Reactions
8 430
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Whole point of a tank is STRONG PROTECTION. Where is the Akkor test video? How will Altay protect itself from slow quadcopters with antitank grenades and ATGMs without a single proof of Akkor working? Until then all I see is an expensive metal coffin. That's why Russian tanks are being left behind in fields.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
56 7,372
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
If i recall right the production rate of the Altay tank will be 8 tanks a month. 5 for the Turkish army+ 3 for export.

can anyone confirm?
"A production capacity of up to 100 tanks per year is planned at the Ankara Production Facility. 20-30 of these are considered for the export market. The mass production speed of the New ALTAY AMT, which will start with 4-5 units per month, will increase depending on the learning curve and will reach the level of 8 units per month. It is planned to produce and deliver 250 tanks in a period of approximately 5 years (2025-2030)."

Pilatino

Reactions
3 663
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Whole point of a tank is STRONG PROTECTION. Where is the Akkor test video? How will Altay protect itself from slow quadcopters with antitank grenades and ATGMs without a single proof of Akkor working? Until then all I see is an expensive metal coffin. That's why Russian tanks are being left behind in fields.

I'm waiting for AKKOR test videos too. (Desperately for years)

Mehmed Ali

Contributor
Reactions
1 905
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
I believe sometime ago TSK published an information that Pulat stopped atgm in Syria. I am sure that AKKOR will be better. Also I think that over %90 of The western tanks haven't got an active protection suite.

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
1679751779129.png

1679751855115.png

UcanTost

Reactions
1 105
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Instead of the akkor launchers, they couldve been used for atgm/drones. The launchers also seems to have blocked vision on the rear because of the length and the turret behind it. Also how fast are the rotations of these launchers? Can it point upwards/backwards superfast?

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,083
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Not to discredit AKKOR or anything.

But hey, it turns out, a modern IFV can defeat APS ( as well as external sensors of a tank ) with fast and accurate first strike.

First, firing in 'Blinding mode' with programmable air brust ammunitions, then followed by an ATGM.

I guess, it is always going to be a race between countermeasure and counter-countermeasure.

Last edited:

Era_shield

Contributor
Reactions
6 2,953
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey

But hey, it turns out, a modern IFV can defeat APS ( as well as external sensors of a tank ) with fast and accurate first strike.

I guess, it is always going to be a race between countermeasure and counter-countermeasure.
Is that video supposed to prove something? It just shows an ATGM launch against a steel barrel.

If that barrel was an Altay, the drone would've been detected by the Altay's radars, which can detect a sabot round from 500m, and then downed by the 50cal. Even if the IFV managed to sneak up and let off an ATGM round, the round would've been defeated by Akkor which is designed to defeat them.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
9 9,040
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan

Cheap claim and nonsense. Have you even watched the video? It has nothing to do with your claim.

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
10 4,934
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey

Yeah then you will will get a 120mm APFSDS right into your face as an answer, a IFV shouldn't confront a modern Tank especially not when it has APS and other sensors...

Altay is not a T-72...

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,083
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Who do you think out ranges who?

A high-quality MBT would see the CV90 first 99/100 and destroy it with its superior long-range gun.
Yes It will depend on who sees who first.

But no, a high quality MBT and CV90 mark V uses sensors with similar capability. So it won't be 99/100.

Obviously, over all a MBT will have the upper hand. However, equipped with utlra-modern camouflage with your engine turned off if you wait in a pre-planned position, you can actually hide yourself from adversary's thermal sight. In that case with an IFV you could get the chance to strike first at an upcoming tank.

The scenario is still unfavorable for IFV but nevertheless practically possible.

Last edited:

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
10 4,934
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Again very unlikely situation most modern MBT's have 360° surveillance systems and laser warning sensors, a Tank will not stand still like in the video and wait until the ATGM knocks on the door. Also MBT's usually don't strive through enemy territory like lone wolfs....

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom