F-6 enthusiast

Reactions
1 595
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
So can this conduct anti ship warfare or just a pure air defence frigate
i honestly don't know what damen frigates fire for their Anti-ship or anti air defence

but 32 VLS is really good. CAMM-ER can be quad-packed.

i hope we can get some combination of CAMM-ER+ Aster-30 and Exocet/Teseo MK2 . that depends on sensor package tbh

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,778
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
So if it's $416-$500 million per frigate then we can get a decent ship in that price.

"These six ships for the Bangladesh Navy (BN), worth an estimated $2.5-3 billion, will be constructed via the government-owned Chittagong Dry Dock Limited (CDDL) with technical assistance from a foreign OEM."

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
9 9,040
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
So if it's $416-$500 million per frigate then we can get a decent ship in that price.

"These six ships for the Bangladesh Navy (BN), worth an estimated $2.5-3 billion, will be constructed via the government-owned Chittagong Dry Dock Limited (CDDL) with technical assistance from a foreign OEM."

Which frigates are you considering. Is Istanbul-class being considered?

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,778
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Are those figures including weapons and sensors of FFBNW ?

There's no details about it. This is the first time i noticed the budget. If i remember right, before this DTB said the budget is total $6 billion (including dockyard development) but there was no credible proof about that. Judging by I-class, Daegu and Type-31's price this should cover all cost for each vessel.

Which frigates are you considering. Is Istanbul-class being considered?
Of the 12 overseas ship-building companies, one company from Italy—Fincantieri, French shipbuilding company STX, Damen Shipyards from Denmark, two UK-based companies—Cammell Laird shipyard and Babcock International, two Chinese shipbuilding companies—China Shipbuilding and offshore International Co. Ltd. (CSOC) and China Shipbuilding Trading Co. Ltd. (CSTC), and two Indian companies— Reliance and Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd, Singapore’s Singapore Technologies Marine Ltd, and three South Korean shipbuilders—Daewoo, Posco Daewoo Corporation, and Hyundai, have expressed interest to build the frigates.

Still under evaluation. ☝️ There's possibility for Turkish frigate. AFSAT visited CDDL last month. PM's defense advisor (who stated few years ago that modern frigate will be procured) and navy chief at STM's booth with
Ismail Demir in 2nd picture.

1654959642349.png

1654959616190.png

Last edited:

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,778
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Finally some progress!! CDDL signed a contract with IWM and Royal Haskoning for consultancy service to prepare draft DPP and feasibility study to upgrade CDDL by constructing second dry dock with associated shipbuilding infrastructure on 14th October, 2021. Senior defense secretary Abu Hena Mostafa Kamal also visited CDDL on 16th October, 2021. The dockyard has approximately 10 acres of empty lands for the construction of the second dry dock. (3rd picture)

I hope this is good news. Noticed some photos where huge amount of big logs are being piled up at CDDL. These could be for construction of temporary cofferdam. Hopefully construction of the second dry dock will begin this year.

1675870196796.png

1675870211327.png

PutinBro

Committed member
Reactions
4 205
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
I hope this is good news. Noticed some photos where huge amount of big logs are being piled up at CDDL. These could be for construction of temporary cofferdam. Hopefully construction of the second dry dock will begin this year.
A made in Bangladesh frigate is not going to hit the seas within the next 12-13 years at least.

All this should have happened long ago.However the good thing is, it seems they are trying to make most of the smaller and less complex vessels on BD.It can be safely assumed that foreign built frigates will be the mainstay of BN fleet for quite a long time.

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,778
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
A made in Bangladesh frigate is not going to hit the seas within the next 12-13 years at least.

I think you overestimated it a bit too far. It depends on the cash-flow and how fast the govt can finish the project. It should take only three years to build it, four/five if we consider delay as it's Bangladeshi govt we're talking about. Within that time we can finish necessary work to proceed to construction. First vessel will be delivered in 3/4 years. So 6-8/9 years maximum depending on the pace of work. If BN doesn't want that then they can order first two ship from foreign countries.

But KSY is also expanding, the new yard could come into operation in three years, little bit before CDDL does cause land development progressed far already. And a 2900 tons frigate can be constructed there in maximum three years if it doesn't face any delay. And BN can designate the ship as frigate if it wants. So again, possible in 6-8/9 years maximum. Still not clear if BN can build frigate in the existing dockyard or not. Anyway KSY will finish the work first if all goes smooth so it has higher chance.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,084
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
I know what i am about to say is going to sound super dramatic and unrealistic but who cares! Yesterday i was reading this thread with depression and disappointment, but today...guess what? it is probably one of the best day of my life.
You never know, how is it coming!😊

@Isa Khan @F-6 enthusiast @Micheal Corleone @PutinBro

There is no more need to waste time in guessing about the BN frigate program.😎

IT IS ON GENTLEMEN! IT IS ON! 😍

And hopefully in just 5/6 week i will be able to say more. Until then, i just need to zip my mouth, no matter how hard it is.🤐

I know exactly what you are thinking, huh, just another hoax, Rumors as usual! We have been there many times before.
Dont worry, you dont have to take my word for it. Just wait, and remember this post of mine when the time comes.

Last edited:

F-6 enthusiast

Reactions
1 595
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
I know what i am about to say is going to sound super dramatic and unrealistic but who cares! Yesterday i was reading this thread with depression and disappointment, but today...guess what? it is probably one of the best day of my life.

And hopefully in just 5/6 week i will be able to say more. Until then, i just need to zip my mouth, no matter how hard it is.🤐

I know exactly what you are thinking, huh, just another hoax, Rumors as usual! We have been there many times before.
Dont worry, you dont have to take my word for it. Just wait, and remember this post of mine when the time comes.
👀 👀

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,084
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
@F-6 enthusiast Notice the difference between two in the must and the bridge?
PN MIGLEM
1676058571181.png

I class
1676058637430.png

PutinBro

Committed member
Reactions
4 205
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Bangladesh

👀👀👀
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...0QFnoECAoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3lkIxGqv3zEaGIiHpoCy12

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,778
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
We are setting up a design house to design the 'Made in Bangladesh' warships,” he said.

He informed that they will also build a ‘ship-testing towing tank’ at the Chittagong Dry Dock Limited.

Previously what thought to be the space allocated for the second dry dock could be the space for the design house and model testing facility. Look like more space were cleared for land development work and construction of cofferdam probably started too. (Fresh image is updated one from google and blurred one is the latest.

1676391857298.png

1676392010718.png

1676392027585.png

1676392145364.png

1676392162435.png

1676392216272.png

And hopefully in just 5/6 week i will be able to say more. Until then, i just need to zip my mouth, no matter how hard it is.
We will invite tenders for constructing the frigates after their proposals are finalised

It should be OPV first as CDDL didn't issue any tender so far and OPV project was launched first. Why wait that long? Just spill the beans. 😉

Perhaps it's better if we select Turkey for this because of politics, price and ToT.

PutinBro

Committed member
Reactions
4 205
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
It should be OPV first as CDDL didn't issue any tender so far and OPV project was launched first. Why wait that long? Just spill the beans.😉
Probably they are going to buy foreign built frigates as CDDL is not yet ready.We seriously lack modern vessels in our fleet and many of our ships will retire by 2030.

More ships of the same class may be built in bangladesh under the local frigate program once second dry dock is ready.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom