Bangladesh News Bangladesh Ordnance Factories

Flextape

Reactions
1 90
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Also manpads.They were supposed to be made with Chinese TOT as rumors suggest. but It seems army changed their mind.We can expect something from Europe,Turkey,Korea.
Not sure on that either, but for now none of them are made at home

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,778
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Political will has lot to do with this!

If there is no national road map and supportive mechanism from government ( like Turkiye has ) for private companies to participate in national defence industry, it is very unlikely that any private company completely on its own be able to do anything meaningful.
specially in our context where we don't have any meaningful defence industry yet.

Quite easy to throw a remark and blame govt for everything. AFAIK weapon is listed as export item in BD and it's not that the govt stops anyone from investing in this sector. The thing is no one has taken the initiative so far cause they don't have the technological expertise or R&D in this sector except the govt/military.

Also, for now Govt/military owned organizations/factories are fulfilling the military's requirement so far and might keep doing that for a long time. It doesn't have to be Walton to do everything and govt isn't waiting for private companies to step in for self-sufficiency in this sector.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,085
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Quite easy to throw a remark and blame govt for everything. AFAIK weapon is listed as export item in BD and it's not that the govt stops anyone from investing in this sector. The thing is no one has taken the initiative so far cause they don't have the technological expertise or R&D in this sector except the govt/military.

Also, for now Govt/military owned organizations/factories are fulfilling the military's requirement so far and might keep doing that for a long time. It doesn't have to be Walton to do everything and govt isn't waiting for private companies to step in for self-sufficiency in this sector.
That doesn't change my point,

Government or more precisely, army has its own comapnies like BOF and BMTF but non of them unfortunately has any expertise in high level electronics.
Which is the most critical component of modern weapories.

I mean, when BOF start to take steps for locally manufacturing guided rockets and ATGM and manads they will require critical electronic supplies

And in that domain, I don't know anyone better than walton ( in particular ) as it has the best Infrastructure and human resources for R&D in electronics, that's why I mentioned its name. But it could be anybody else.

As air force chief pointed out, the best way to advanced bangladesh aerospace and defence industry through 'public private partnership'

(govt isn't waiting for private companies to step in)

Well, government should encourage private tech companies to participate at some level and take initiatives in this regard for long term consideration.

I don't understand, why do you seeing that problematic!

Last edited:

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,778
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Well, government should encourage private tech companies to participate at some level and take initiatives in this regard for long term consideration.

I don't understand, why do you seeing that problematic!

Doesn't really matter what your point is, that's reality for now. When did I say it's problematic? Just because Walton manufactures few electronic products doesn't automatically makes it eligible for manufacturing defense products. It takes time if a company wants to invest in defense industry. Not gonna happen overnight.

For example, earlier you were talking about "Walton Aerospace" but currently only BAF has skilled manpower to do any project. Companies like Aselsan, Roketsan are focused on defense industry from the start, Walton isn't. So even if Walton teams-up with Aselsan, Roketsan to acquire tech, it'll take time to absorb them.

For rockets, ATGM and MANPAD, the company which will transfer the tech, will be responsible for supplying the components as we currently lack skilled manpower and R&D. You keep blaming the govt but what exactly they aren't doing? Not allocating land? Not providing tax exemption, incentive? Be more specific.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,085
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Doesn't really matter what your point is, that's reality for now. When did I say it's problematic? Just because Walton manufactures few electronic products doesn't automatically makes it eligible for manufacturing defense products. It takes time if a company wants to invest in defense industry. Not gonna happen overnight.

For example, earlier you were talking about "Walton Aerospace" but currently only BAF has skilled manpower to do any project. Companies like Aselsan, Roketsan are focused on defense industry from the start, Walton isn't. So even if Walton teams-up with Aselsan, Roketsan to acquire tech, it'll take time to absorb them.

For rockets, ATGM and MANPAD, the company which will transfer the tech, will be responsible for supplying the components as we currently lack skilled manpower and R&D. You keep blaming the govt but what exactly they aren't doing? Not allocating land? Not providing tax exemption, incentive? Be more specific.
You are assuming things that I didn't meant.
I never said, walton ( or any other company for that matter ) is going to do anything meaningful overnight!
Of course, it will take time to absorb and develop these techs.

In your word, just because walton only manufacture 'few electronics'
doesn't automatically makes it eligible for manufacturing defense for you.
I completely agree,
But here's the thing, if anyone has meaningful potential to manufacture 'critical electronics' for defense application in the future, I believe the best option would be Walton.
Because, they at least manufactures 'few electronics'
while other possible companies ( public or private ) does not even manufacture these 'few electronics' at that level. ( nor they has the similar infrastructure )

I am not blaming government.
I am just saying what they 'should do,'
Which is 'take the first step in private-public partnership in defense sector'
As i stated above for example, if BOF start a production line for ATGM and MANPAD, government can commission Walton to participate in the project and team with BOF to supply the electronics with TOT from aboard.
of course, first few years it would be mostly just assembly, with most parts coming from aboard.
but it will develop skill and manpower. and Walton got the best infrastructure for that, at least when it comes to electronics.

And step like, incentive, allocating some funds for RD projects, even on small scale would very helpful in the beginning. ( in that case, IP rights would belong to the amry or state )

There is a difference between blaming someone, and expecting what someone can, and should do.

Last edited:

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,778
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
I mean, when BOF start to take steps for locally manufacturing guided rockets and ATGM and manads they will require critical electronic supplies

And in that domain, I don't know anyone better than walton ( in particular ) as it has the best Infrastructure and human resources for R&D in electronics, that's why I mentioned its name. But it could be anybody else.
I never said, walton ( or any other company for that matter ) is going to do anything meaningful overnight!

You're expecting Walton (or any other company) to supply electronic components for ATGM and MANPAD projects which is already in motion when no Bangladeshi company isn't even in this sector yet. So looks like you are expecting to happen overnight.

only thing truly lacking here is the political will.
Political will has lot to do with this!

If there is no national road map and supportive mechanism from government
I am not blaming government.

It looks that way though.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,085
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
You're expecting Walton (or any other company) to supply electronic components for ATGM and MANPAD projects which is already in motion when no Bangladeshi company isn't even in this sector yet. So looks like you are expecting to happen overnight.
you missed that part from my post.

"of course, first few years it would be mostly just assembly, with most parts coming from aboard.
but it will develop skill and manpower. and Walton got the best infrastructure for that, at least when it comes to electronics."

Last edited:

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,778
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
did you missed that part from my post?

"of course, first few years it would be mostly just assembly, with most parts coming from aboard.
but it will develop skill and manpower. and Walton got the best infrastructure for that, at least when it comes to electronics."

Yup, looks like you made edit after I quoted you.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,085
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
@Isa Khan Could you give any source for ATGM and MANPAD project being in motion ?
it would be helpful.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom