Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China

China Spent More On Mass COVID-19 Testing Than On Its Military: Research​

On May 29, 2022

Recent research results from China’s financial securities firms show that the cost of the Chinese regime’s mass COVID-19 nucleic acid testing exceeded its military spending in 2021, and that it will drain China’s national medical insurance funds within three and a half years if citizens are tested every two days as required by the regime.

Mainland Chinese news portal Sina.com published the research report by the macro research team of Huachuang Securities on May 23. The report pointed out that according to unofficial statistics, combined with the changes in testing volume and unit price, since the COVID-19 outbreak, the estimated cost of nucleic acid testing has been about 300 billion yuan (about $44.7 billion), of which nearly 150 billion yuan ($22.3 billion) was spent in the first four months of this year.

The research team said the premise of the calculation is that about 80 percent of the cost of regular nucleic acid testing is borne by the medical insurance that employers pay for their employees, and about 20 percent is paid by local governments,’ at all levels, which comes from taxpayers. The Chinese medical insurance has 3.6 trillion yuan (about $533.5 billion) in funds, which is enough to cover the cost of nationwide testing of citizens every two days for three and a half years.

The Chinese communist regime ordered nucleic acid testing to be done regularly and become normalized starting May 9, and that nucleic acid “sampling circles” (testing sites) should be set up within 15 minutes walking distance in large cities.

Guo Yanhong, the supervisory commissioner of the Medical Administration and Medical Administration Bureau of the regime’s Health Commission, said at the State Council’s press conference on May 23 that Hangzhou and Shanghai have already made sampling circle layouts. Shenzhen, Dalian, Hefei and many cities in Jiangxi and Hubei have also started setting up “sampling circles.”

Henan Province announced on May 21 that every resident in the province must take a nucleic acid test every 48 hours. Meanwhile, an analysis article on Sina.com titled “A 48-hour nucleic acid test in Henan Province is expected to cost about 82.05 billion yuan for one year” attracted attention, but has since been deleted.

The research report also pointed out that according to the regulations of Shenzhen, Qingdao, Suqian, and other cities, 70 to 95 percent of the testing cost are reimbursed by China’s medical insurance, and local governments finances cover about 20 percent.

Mainland Chinese media China Business Network reported on May 25 that recently, medical insurance departments in many parts of the country received a letter from the National Medical Insurance Bureau, clearly stating that using medical insurance funds to pay for large-scale nucleic acid testing is against the medical insurance policies and should be stopped immediately.

However, if medical insurance does not cover the cost of nucleic acid testing, there will be a huge burden on the local governments’ finances. Due to the lockdowns, the fiscal revenue of more than 30 cities in mainland China declined as of April this year, says the report.

ao Chuan, chief macro analyst of Soochow Securities, published a research report earlier this month. Based on the unit price of nucleic acid testing in mainland China, he estimated that if all the major cities in China implement normalized nucleic acid testing, the monthly cost will reach 143.6 billion yuan (about $21.3 billion), or about 1.72 trillion yuan (about $255.4 billion) per year, which is 1.5 percent of China’s nominal GDP in 2021 and 8.7 percent of public revenue. The total is higher than China’s 1.37 trillion yuan (about $203.4 billion) 2021 military spending.

However, he believes that this figure is still less than the economic damage caused by the lockdowns.

Tao said that the Chinese regime may issue special bonds to cover the cost.

Jagdflieger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Germany
Well living in China I can see that these test kits don't really cost much - if someone infected is identified, yes medical costs will rise.
But in the long run it will proof to be far cheaper then treating or hospitalizing tens of millions (if one takes western ratio figures into account) and thus a continuous disruption of business and manufacturing.

In my immediate compound vicinity we had partially daily testings done on around 500 people for five weeks - 3 were found to be positive in that period but returned safe back home the following week.
On the other hand due to China with it's huge population and not having private practitioners - hospitals are usually flooded with everyone from a minor cut in the finger, a running nose, sprained ankle, simply feeling unwell to major surgery.
During these 5 weeks quarantine less then 3 people went to see a hospital - (special permission) so on the other hand the savings in health care costs presently, must be huge.

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Im hearing about draconian covid rules in China almost worse than two years ago when the whole ordeal started.
Whats the reason behing beijings sudden shift to total lock down while rest of the world starts to return to normalty?

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Im hearing about draconian covid rules in China almost worse than two years ago when the whole ordeal started.
Whats the reason behing beijings sudden shift to total lock down while rest of the world starts to return to normalty?
When the covid first started 2 years ago, China had strict lockdowns for a couple of months and the whole countries was largely covid free for 2 years, but 2 months ago this Omicron variant hit China again, mainly Shanghai and Beijing, zero Covid policy now is like a legacy burden that the government feels compelled to stick to, which is not sustainable I believe.

Anastasius

Contributor
Azerbaijan Moderator
Reactions
3 2,934
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
I've heard that COVID-19 regulations may be a cover for something else like preparations for a future conflict but who the hell knows at this point.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
I've heard that COVID-19 regulations may be a cover for something else like preparations for a future conflict but who the hell knows at this point.
Crippling the economy and causing public discontent, that would be the dumbest way to prepare for a "future conflict".

Jagdflieger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Germany
Well depends as to what someone might consider to be "draconian".
Beijing has opted for a ZERO policy - so once cases are detected measures are put in place - in the worst case lock-down of a residential building, the compound, the city district, the entire city down to a province.
As for the last lock-downs in Shanghai and Beijing - especially Shanghai proved to be a disappointment. (Shanghai and off course Beijing have the reputation within China to posses the best "smartest" most efficient administrations)
Shanghai's administration proved to be as not being very efficient in regards to Covid measures - as such a huge spread (in Chinese opinion) with a peak of around 20,000 cases occurred - compared to western countries actually - not noteworthy taking Shanghai's population of almost 28 million people into account. If the Shanghai administration would have been up to the task this number could have been already contained before reaching 2000 cases.

I am sure Shanghai's government has learned it's lessons so as to say. The people that are not "happy" about such quarantine measures are foremost the owners of small businesses - running cost e.g. rental and no revenue.

As for the cost benefit calculation - sporadic lock-down costs contra a massive spread of Covid and it's huge economic/social impact, only Beijing has these figures available. My guess is that also Beijing anticipates this Covid virus and it's mutations to eventually downgrade to a "common cold" symptom, - till then they will upkeep the ZERO policy.

Xenon54

Experienced member
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Well depends as to what someone might consider to be "draconian".
Beijing has opted for a ZERO policy - so once cases are detected measures are put in place - in the worst case lock-down of a residential building, the compound, the city district, the entire city down to a province.
As for the last lock-downs in Shanghai and Beijing - especially Shanghai proved to be a disappointment. (Shanghai and off course Beijing have the reputation within China to posses the best "smartest" most efficient administrations)
Shanghai's administration proved to be as not being very efficient in regards to Covid measures - as such a huge spread (in Chinese opinion) with a peak of around 20,000 cases occurred - compared to western countries actually - not noteworthy taking Shanghai's population of almost 28 million people into account. If the Shanghai administration would have been up to the task this number could have been already contained before reaching 2000 cases.

I am sure Shanghai's government has learned it's lessons so as to say. The people that are not "happy" about such quarantine measures are foremost the owners of small businesses - running cost e.g. rental and no revenue.

As for the cost benefit calculation - sporadic lock-down costs contra a massive spread of Covid and it's huge economic/social impact, only Beijing has these figures available. My guess is that also Beijing anticipates this Covid virus and it's mutations to eventually downgrade to a "common cold" symptom, - till then they will upkeep the ZERO policy.
Well, someone that i know is not allowed to to even take a coffee at starbucks without a negative pcr test.
Its kinda over the top, ones gotta ask whats worse, the virus or the measures against it.

Xenon54

Experienced member
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
When the covid first started 2 years ago, China had strict lockdowns for a couple of months and the whole countries was largely covid free for 2 years, but 2 months ago this Omicron variant hit China again, mainly Shanghai and Beijing, zero Covid policy now is like a legacy burden that the government feels compelled to stick to, which is not sustainable I believe.
It certainly is not sustainable, chinas economy is in the transition to consumer based one, crippling consumption while threatening thousands of jobs is certainly not the way to go.

Jagdflieger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Germany
Yes - such rumors are actually cruising around in China. Who initiated these rumors is beyond my knowledge.
Personally however I do not see the correlation between daily/weekly virus checks and restricted movement - and preparations to spend a couple of days or weeks in a bunker. ;)

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
If conspiracy theories can be discussed, actually a whole lot of Beijiingers believe Beijing's recent sudden outbreak, which was from a single bar, was US made. That bar is always full of foreign expats and many Beijingers believe some Americans delibrately poisioned that bar.

Jagdflieger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Germany
Well, someone that i know is not allowed to to even take a coffee at starbucks without a negative pcr test.
Its kinda over the top, ones gotta ask whats worse, the virus or the measures against it.
Why would that be over the top? we took daily tests first (so your mobile Covid app is automatically upgraded the next day) then down to a weekly test.
All you have to do is to show your Covid -app - if you enter places were people congregate. - it is the simplest control and is no burden to anyone.

Jagdflieger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Germany
If conspiracy theories can be discussed, actually a whole lot of Beijiingers believe Beijing's recent sudden outbreak, which was from a single bar, was US made. That bar is always full of foreign expats and many Beijingers believe some Americans delibrately poisioned that bar.
i don't really pay attention to these kind of rumors. What was indeed obvious, this Omicron virus (previously not registered in China) started to appear around the Beijing winter Olympics - and was initially confined to Airport areas and hotels.

Jagdflieger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Germany
It certainly is not sustainable, chinas economy is in the transition to consumer based one, crippling consumption while threatening thousands of jobs is certainly not the way to go.
Okay - (even though Beijing does not agree with you) what is the alternative? just to let it run wild as in most other countries?

Xenon54

Experienced member
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Okay - (even though Beijing does not agree with you) what is the alternative? just to let it run wild as in most other countries?
Why not, i have the new variant two months ago, it was like a mild flu. I had regular flu before that were way worse.

Xenon54

Experienced member
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Why would that be over the top? we took daily tests first (so your mobile Covid app is automatically upgraded the next day) then down to a weekly test.
All you have to do is to show your Covid -app - if you enter places were people congregate. - it is the simplest control and is no burden to anyone.
The person that i know sent me pics of the lines for pcr test, doing that every 48h? Its kinda over the top for a flu like virus if you ask me.

Btw there are rumors that borders might open in semtember, how likely is that?

Jagdflieger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Germany
The person that i know sent me pics of the lines for pcr test, doing that every 48h? Its kinda over the top for a flu like virus if you ask me.

Btw there are rumors that borders might open in semtember, how likely is that?
Friend's of mine in Germany also had that variant, one shook it of at home and got it again and spend a week in hospital - the other two just 2-3 days at home.
It certainly depends on the respective residential area and how well it is organized. My place it was around 500 people a day and very well organized - so time spend in line was just around 10 minutes and less.
I haven't been able to get figures - but it seems to me, (just speculating) that the virus in general seems to affect Chinese or Asian people differently from Europeans.
(it seems that the symptoms are more drastic).
Furthermore China's society living setup is very different from Western-Europe - the average household comprises of 4-6 people (usually one set of Grandparents is staying with one part of the family) whilst in Western Europe you have households comprising of millions of singles or pairs.

Also keep in mind that there are no general practitioners in China - only hospitals usually crowed with hundreds of people. As such an infected person is likely to cause
more spread and danger to others. Therefore the testing in line at the residential areas, (regulation individulas 4-5 m apart) and if found positive - moved under quarantine procedures to a quarantine place/installation.

I do hope very much that travel can resume by July, September would be too late since the school's are picking up by then. But I am not too optimistic, since every new rise in Covid cases in China since the past 16 month could be attributed to so called imported cases.

Somehow these jabs - vaccinations just don't seem to really work worldwide.

Xenon54

Experienced member
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
I do hope very much that travel can resume by July, September would be too late since the school's are picking up by then. But I am not too optimistic, since every new rise in Covid cases in China since the past 16 month could be attributed to so called imported cases.

Somehow these jabs - vaccinations just don't seem to really work worldwide.
The borders are closed, i thought foreigners are not allowed to enter, how did they import new cases?
Well, going by that Lopgic better keep the border closed forever and be done with it because covid is certianly not gonna disappear anytime soon.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom