Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
China warns US it will be defeated if the two superpowers go to war: Report
Updated: May 15, 2021 19:44 IST

Beijing [China], May 15 (ANI): Amid tensions in the South China Sea and over Taiwan, China has issued a warning that the US will be defeated if the two superpowers go to war.

Citing Global Times editorial piece, Express.co.uk reported that the threat is in response to joint military drills carried out by the US. The US joined drills with Japan, Australia and France this week in a show of force against Beijing.

Earlier on Thursday, China had described the military exercises in southern Japan involving troops and hardware from France, Japan, the United States and Australia as a waste of fuel, adding that the drill had "no impact" on the country.

China claims sovereignty over almost the entire South China Sea and has overlapping territorial claims with Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Vietnam and Taiwan.

Beijing also claims full sovereignty over Taiwan, a democracy of almost 24 million people located off the southeastern coast of mainland China, despite the fact that the two sides have been governed separately for more than seven decades.

"The Global Times put out an editorial saying the US would be defeated if any conflict broke out in the South China Sea. Many see the drills as a show of force aimed at China as Japan works towards consolidating military alliances in an effort to deter its neighbouring superpower," said RT America's Alex Mihailovich.

He further said, "The drills appeared to irritate China rather than contain it."

Former UK MP George Galloway said that this would prompt an increase in military preparedness from China.

"What a spur this must be to China's own warship development. If they are not fools, they will be building so many warships right now that no-one will dare to steam up the East China Sea and threaten them in any way," Galloway said.

Earlier this week, the Chinese People's Liberation Army released videos showing marines training for island landing drills in an apparent threat to Taiwan. Video footage released by the PLA Navy shows marines from the Eastern Theatre Command in a recent landing exercise for a simulated invasion, Express.co.uk reported.

China has been increasing its maritime activities in both the South China Sea and the East China Sea over the past few months, partly in response to Beijing's concerns over the increasing US military presence in the region because of escalating Sino-US tensions.

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,580
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
When I read the headline I thought China was referring to USA and Russia. Lol @ China if it considers itself a superpower.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
When I read the headline I thought China was referring to USA and Russia. Lol @ China if it considers itself a superpower.
China is a developing country, not a superpower, this title was added by OP author, China's official stance is never becoming a superpower.

Ayrtonite

Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
United States of America
Would you consider the U.S. a superpower still? I personally would not. It no longer has the dominance it once had from ~1991-2008. The number power yes but no longer a "super power"

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Would you consider the U.S. a superpower still? I personally would not. It no longer has the dominance it once had from ~1991-2008. The number power yes but no longer a "super power"
It depends on how powerful a superpower should be in different people's minds, US lost its absolute global domiance in recent years but is still the number one power in the world.

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,580
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
I would consider these 2 as super powers currently -
USA
Russia

I think if the EU is taken as a whole, it's combined economic and military might would also make it a superpower.

Zapper

Experienced member
Reactions
10 765
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
India
USA
Russia

I think if the EU is taken as a whole, it's combined economic and military might would also make it a superpower.
How exactly is Russia a superpower? If nukes are outta the equation, Russia's aged military will even loose to China is a conventional war...let alone the US

Azeri441

Committed member
Reactions
2 1,062
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
USA
Russia

Russia is not a superpower, its economy is weak and reliant on natural resources, its military is also pretty ancient and they don't have the money to conduct a proper modernization, Russia is just a declining regional power.

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,580
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
How exactly is Russia a superpower? If nukes are outta the equation, Russia's aged military will even loose to China is a conventional war...let alone the US
Lots of legacy weapons. Power projection. Access to oil, which is critical in any war. Lose to China in a conventional war? No chance. Why do you think that when Russia just went it and took Crimea no one did anything? If China has even 1/10th the capability of Russia, they wouldn't be twiddling their thumbs about Taiwan.

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,580
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
Russia is not a superpower, its economy is weak and reliant on natural resources, its military is also pretty ancient and they don't have the money to conduct a proper modernization, Russia is just a declining regional power.
👇
Lots of legacy weapons. Power projection. Access to oil, which is critical in any war. Lose to China in a conventional war? No chance. Why do you think that when Russia just went it and took Crimea no one did anything? If China has even 1/10th the capability of Russia, they wouldn't be twiddling their thumbs about Taiwan.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Why China has to fight Russia? and superpower is not only about military, US is still a superpower but Russia is not, USSR was a superpower though.

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Nobody is able to beat US in a conventional head on war, there is really nothing else to say.
But if anything then China is fast closing the gap, credit where its due.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Nobody is able to beat US in a conventional head on war, there is really nothing else to say.
But if anything then China is fast closing the gap, credit where its due.
It depends on where the war would be fought, China fought US ground troops head on 70 years ago in Korea , they were not really that invincible.

Deliorman

Contributor
Reactions
4 3,487
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Bulgaria

Crimea and Taiwan have absolutely nothing in common.

Crimea has population of 2 million and even while still in Ukrainian hands Russia had huge military bases operating there- Sevastopol was and still is the main Russian base in the Black sea region. Crimea was taken without a war- just in the chaos of Ukraine in 2014 Russian “little green men” and “tourists” with weapons took control over the area, organized a referendum for “independence” and then joined Russia.

At the same time Taiwan is a technological power and has a population of 24 million, an economy that is 3-4 times larger than whole of Ukraine. They have modern and well equipped military that uses Western weaponry and training+ they have the direct protection of the USA behind them.

If China wants to get them back it will take a huge military effort and many losses and hundreds of billions lost. I don’t know if China can do it but Russia can’t do that for sure.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
If China wants to get them back it will take a huge military effort and many losses and hundreds of billions lost. I don’t know if China can do it but Russia can’t do that for sure.
if PRC launched a full attack on Taiwan, the war will be over in hours. Even Taiwan generals and politicians told the public that Taiwan can't count on US military aid, it will never come, US won't risk everything for Taiwan, it's very clear and all Taiwan politicians know it.
US actually betrayed Taiwan after establishing relationship with PRC in 1970's, threw a decades old ally under the bus, US is a country that won't hesitate to sacrifice anyone for its own national interest.

Deliorman

Contributor
Reactions
4 3,487
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Bulgaria
if PRC launched a full attack on Taiwan, the war will be over in hours. Even Taiwan generals and politicians told the public that Taiwan can't count on US military aid, it will never come, US won't risk everything for Taiwan, it's very clear and all Taiwan politicians know it.
US actually betrayed Taiwan after establishing relationship with PRC in 1970's, threw a decades old ally under the bus, US is a country that won't hesitate to sacrifice anyone for its own national interest.

Then do it, what are you waiting for if it’s such an easy task?

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Then do it, what are you waiting for if it’s such an easy task?
Taiwan's official name is still "Republic of China", PRC and ORC had an agreement in 1992 summit meeting, 一个中国,各自表述。 One China, different interpretations, this 1992 Consensus is the corner stone of the relationship across the strait. Taiwan stills holds this bottom line, PRC won't have a very justified excuse to attack, cause both sides have a slogan : Chinese don't fight Chinese.
If Taiwan decleared independence, the war will happen in hours.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Another reason is the economy, China doesn't want to take back a ruined and destroyed Taiwan. China didn't take back Hong kong until 1997 for the same reason, it doesn't mean China couldn't take back Hong kong , but China back then decided it was not in China's interest to take it back.
Taiwan played argubly the most important role in helping China's economic take off, China.

From 1991 to July 2015, approved outward investment from Taiwan in China amounted to USD 150 billion, which equates to 61.2 per cent of Taiwan's total approved outward investment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ayrtonite

Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
United States of America
USA
Russia

I disagree with Russia being a superpower. Its economy is smaller than Canada's and is reliant on exporting oil/natural gas. Modern Russia is living in the shadow of the former soviet union. It punches above its weight in terms of military and Europe uses its natural gas, those factors is what puts Russia in my book at #3 in the world

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Taiwan navy ships presence in SCS is the second largest after China, why China and Taiwan never blame each other's presence in South China Sea? Chinese ships even get supplies from Taiwan occupied islands, Taiwan occupies the biggest island in SCS, Taiping island, the only island in SCS which has natural fresh water.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom