TR Defence Exports & Updates

Pilatino

Reactions
3 663
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
KOTİL: "With TAI and ASELSAN, we can modernize any aircraft from analog to digital mission system, and we have done this on the SU-25. We gave our first aircraft, and there will be a ceremony about it. There are many of these aircraft in Africa."

What was the name of new Russian flying junk? Check Mate ha ahahahhahah. Imagine the sales to Africa for the munitions.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,835
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is not about TF-6000 or any name out there.
It is about technology which Turkiye have teams with the skills, knowledge, infrastructure (to design, build, test) and money.
Then come next factor is "THE Time" as you said. But there is One important thing here it is NOT about 5 years.
As our Experts which are part of the team, already said that if Turkiye just start as beginner of engine without above things which I wrote than The TIME will take 10+ years.

Turkiye already spend that time and all above is passed with products DONE. Like TJ 90, TS 1400, TF6000, TF 10000 also ALL Licensed engines.

I am trying to say that Team working on engine already working on it more than 6 years.
My understand is following : if and only if we take TEI as example/direction They need only to finally shape and start testing TF 10 000.
Than take the results and scale it up for KAAN.
It will definitely cover expectations of TSK. Why you may ask? Because this will be Turkiye Independence, Strategic asset and finally main thing is Stealth and Sensor and weapons which provide the advantage. The Engine is issue because, mainly usa and others WILL NOT STOP and THEY will KEEP delay or make anything to not provide this part for Turkiye.

(I really do not think that TEI is the main team working on KAAN engine) . This all info about KAAN engine WILL remain HIDDEN to World to the end let say 2026-27
The problem here is, you're oversimplifying the process of building a jet engine capable of powering Kaan, and then on top of that, there is the complicated process of making sure that engine is actually a 5th generation engine with required characteristics.

I know people here scoff at the comparison but it took Chinese almost 20 years to get WS-15 ready to fly with JS-20. All the knowledge we claim to have through building F-16s and other engine types, they also have that and more since they've also been building WS-10 for almost 10 years now. They had access to Russian tech AND Western tech through their espionage and it still took them a long time to get here.

We can be proud of our engineers for what they achieved so far, and I am, and trust them for what they can do, and I do, but we should still be realistic. Even US abandoned new engine for F-35 because it was such a costly and time consuming undertaking. Our people, and most certainly our leaders, have a tendency to sugarcoat things and present the best and sometimes unrealistic scenarios to boast. I'd rather we have the cold hard truth and get pleasantly surprised afterwards, rather than get caught with our pants down.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
22 18,827
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Which is why I couldn’t care any less over peoples hype over Kaan.

If Aselsan and Tai is able to digitalize SU-25. Then there should be a study into building a Hurjet variant with Russian or Chinese engine. Call it case study, but succeed. It could be a learning experience. Possibly open up more markets but also cooperation opportunities.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,214
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The problem here is, you're oversimplifying the process of building a jet engine capable of powering Kaan, and then on top of that, there is the complicated process of making sure that engine is actually a 5th generation engine with required characteristics.

I know people here scoff at the comparison but it took Chinese almost 20 years to get WS-15 ready to fly with JS-20. All the knowledge we claim to have through building F-16s and other engine types, they also have that and more since they've also been building WS-10 for almost 10 years now. They had access to Russian tech AND Western tech through their espionage and it still took them a long time to get here.

We can be proud of our engineers for what they achieved so far, and I am, and trust them for what they can do, and I do, but we should still be realistic. Even US abandoned new engine for F-35 because it was such a costly and time consuming undertaking. Our people, and most certainly our leaders, have a tendency to sugarcoat things and present the best and sometimes unrealistic scenarios to boast. I'd rather we have the cold hard truth and get pleasantly surprised afterwards, rather than get caught with our pants down.
Engineering technology, particularly simulation technology was not as good as it is today. I wouldn't compare bygone times with today. I read that China had AI design a microchip without human input.

Fuzuli NL

Experienced member
Germany Correspondent
Reactions
20 8,312
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Eh, probably no more than a 100 SU-25 are still out there that aren't in the hands of Russia or countries in Russia's sphere of influence. It' still good for Azerbaijan and even better if they can get more orders, of course.
The actual aim would be making them compatible with Turkish ordnance and selling them just that plus maintenance etc. Most importantly having a foot at the door for some countries that aren't very familiar with Turkish defence industry.

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
61 29,683
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,835
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
The actual aim would be making them compatible with Turkish ordnance and selling them just that plus maintenance etc. Most importantly having a foot at the door for some countries that aren't very familiar with Turkish defence industry.
That's a very good point I hadn't consider.

Stimpy75

Committed member
Türkiye Correspondent
Reactions
4 928
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,671
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
One feels the need to say "how the turntables", or "how the mighty have fallen". Great cooperation. So many lessons to be learned from South African defence industry.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,141
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan

Very big market out there for a SU-25 modernization package. TAI could make very good money with this.

KOTİL: "With TAI and ASELSAN, we can modernize any aircraft from analog to digital mission system, and we have done this on the SU-25. We gave our first aircraft, and there will be a ceremony about it. There are many of these aircraft in Africa."

Here's a list of potential clients for SU-25 upgrades.

Angola - 12 aircrafts
Bulgaria - 14 aircrafts (some might have been donated to Ukraine)
Chad - 10 aircrafts
Niger - 2 aircrafts
Peru - 18 aircrafts
Sudan - 24 aircrafts
Ukraine - 31 aircrafts
Uzbekistan - 20 aircrafts

Test7

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
18 19,933
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey

@Combat-Master had shared a few notable details about Merops. For those wondering

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,671
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Angola - 12 aircrafts
Chad - 10 aircrafts
Niger - 2 aircrafts
Peru - 18 aircrafts
Sudan - 24 aircrafts
Ukraine - 31 aircrafts
As well as Iraq, Kazakhstan and possibly Ethiopia.

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

The company which once lobbied in Turkiye to sell Rooivalk helicopters under certain conditions, is now knocking on our door to modernize same helicopter with our technology. That's what I call impressive progress. Great news brother.

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Angola - 12 aircrafts
Chad - 10 aircrafts
Niger - 2 aircrafts
Peru - 18 aircrafts
Sudan - 24 aircrafts
Ukraine - 31 aircrafts

and every modernization if secured some, means selling dozens of Turkish missiles/munition $$

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,844
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

ASFAT has agreed with Kazakhstan to build warships worth hundreds of millions of dollars. We can say that ASFAT will establish Kazakhstan's Navy.
As far as I know, ASFAT competed with Dearsan & Gulhan in this tender. The navies of Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan will be completely revitalized with the experience of the Turkish shipbuilding industry.

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
One feels the need to say "how the turntables", or "how the mighty have fallen". Great cooperation. So many lessons to be learned from South African defence industry.

The company which once lobbied in Turkiye to sell Rooivalk helicopters under certain conditions, is now knocking on our door to modernize same helicopter with our technology. That's what I call impressive progress. Great news brother.
Yes, yes, yes!

Turkish defense industry has stepped over the threshold to become a success story decades later and there is no reason for not being optimistic for our industry’s future.
But we must also take heed and learn from failures of others as well as ours in the past. In an academic sense, one day when they study the Turkey’s case, I’ll wager my paycheck they will also discuss the Denel and S. Africa case in a chapter to show what not to do.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,614
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
What Turkish Defence industry did is that, it rendered the conventional wisdom obsolete.

The norm that, if you are not a first world technological powerhouse like UK, Germany or Italy, you cannot have ambitious defence programs or in some cases you cannot leapfrog/skip directly to the latest generation technologies is no longer applies.

I think, the key lesson for developing countries like BD or others who are lately trying to establish their own defence industry is, calculated risk is a necessity to 'catch up' with the world.

Otherwise, if you plan to play safe according to the conventional wisdom with such late start, you may never catch up or it will probably take 50 years and others would be still ahead of you.

In order to stay relevant in 21th century competition, we must keep daring in our defence ambitions like Türkiye did.

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom