21 18,707
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey

Duterte ‘concerned’ over AUKUS nuclear submarine deal​

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos September 28, 2021, 2:57 pm
nial07292021-5.jpg

President Rodrigo Duterte (Presidential Photo)

MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte has raised concern over the new trilateral security pact among Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States (AUKUS), Malacañang said on Tuesday.

In a virtual press conference, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Duterte would meet with his Cabinet to discuss the AUKUS alliance and raise the issue, as he worried the trilateral pact could trigger a “nuclear arms race”.

“He (Duterte) expressed concern about a regional nuclear arms race. But he will discuss this further with the Cabinet and will come up with a clear position after the meeting of the Cabinet,” Roque said.

AUKUS alliance is seen to counter China’s growing influence in the Indo-Pacific, specifically in the South China Sea where it lays claim on nearly 80 percent of the strategic water under its so-called nine-dash line that has been invalidated by the Hague-based Permanent Court of Arbitration’s 2016 ruling.

The pact also aims to provide Australia the technology to build nuclear-powered submarines, a partnership denounced by China because of its supposed risks to intensify the arms race and undermine international non-proliferation efforts.

On Sept. 17, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana had a telephone conversation with Australian Defense Minister Peter Dutton to discuss the AUKUS alliance and Canberra’s acquisition of nuclear-powered submarines.

Dutton told Lorenzana the intention to acquire submarines is not to be armed with nuclear weapons but to develop Australia’s capability to protect its territories as well as that of its friends in the region.

Lorenzana, on the other hand, acknowledged Australia’s right to improve its submarine defense capability.

Last week, Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. also welcomed the AUKUS partnership, citing its benefit to maintaining peace and security in Southeast Asia.

Roque on Monday expressed hope that the trilateral pact would not violate the Southeast Asia Nuclear Weapon Free Zone Treaty, an agreement inked by the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations in 1995 to preserve the region as a nuclear weapon-free zone and free from all other weapons of mass destruction. (PNA)

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,312
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
what a mess, some times ago their minister of foreign affairs applauded the pact. it seems this administration doesn't even have a solid foreign policy to begin with.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,707
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
what a mess, some times ago their minister of foreign affairs applauded the pact. it seems this administration doesn't even have a solid foreign policy to begin with.
Duterte is like RTE. He should shut his mouth and let his FM do the talking instead of fire extinguishing.

Filipinos in other defence forums are also very displeased with the lacking commitment on the defense budgets and such.

Problem with Duterte is that he is too much of a China-man (I think it was one of your posts that said something along those lines:) ), but at the same time he knows that without US support PH can't hold onto anything.

So US is IMO keeping PH at arms lenght letting them suffer, but giving them just enough support to keep them scrambling.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,312
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Filipinos in other defence forums are also very displeased with the lacking commitment on the defense budgets and such.
almost all of their recent high end purchase are during the administration of Benigno Aquino III.

I have my own reservation thinking that Duterte is actually China's men in the PH.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,707
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
almost all of their recent high end purchase are during the administration of Benigno Aquino III.

I have my own reservation thinking that Duterte is actually China's men in the PH.
Well, you can either be B of US or China, and he doesn't want to be either, so he decided to clean up and went overboard. His temper doesn't really help him with his clean PH up project either.

I've shared posts where Dutertes aide goes out and says something and the FM goes out and tells him to STFU.

In short I will say Times magazine wasn't wrong when adding Duterte, RTE, Orban and Putin on the cover of their magazine. Unfortunately only Putin is smart enough to not go out and open his mouth. Guess having background in KGB does have its perks.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom