Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,686
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think they wanted to see the facility with this excuse... LoL we've already built that plane Lockheed bruh you know that we can do it again.
Yeah, we also probably want to show them the level we are at so that they can understand the situation better.

Windchime

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,276
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea
AN/APG-83 is not used by 5th gen fighters.

Also keep in mind that SABR only uses around 5kW of power while MURAD is specified at 30kW

Difference is present and easy to see, GaN modules and separate cooling makes wonders (+algorithms and computers)
Wait, I knew that Özgür will undergo structural life extension but I didn't knew it will also have structural changes for better cooling. Probably means more ram-air? Sounds like THK is really serious about MURAD.

MURAD is far superior to APG-83, I expect it to be slightly worse than APG-85.
The former I think is the actual case, but the latter is very hard to agree with.

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,539
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Wait, I knew that Özgür will undergo structural life extension but I didn't knew it will also have structural changes for better cooling. Probably means more ram-air? Sounds like THK is really serious about MURAD.

The former I think is the actual case, but the latter is very hard to agree with.
MURAD will use liquid cooling, probably some ports to re-cool the liquid, i don't really know much about that part

moz68k

Reactions
18 579
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Speaking of radar systems, does anybody know if BÜRFİS will be mechanically rotatable like the CAPTOR-E? Judging by the TF-X's radome, its antenna plate appears to be highly angled upwards, and there's plenty of space to move around IMO

Windchime

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,276
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea
• TAI conveyed to Lockheed Martin that it could take charge at Turkey's new F-16 supply point.

• Lockheed Martin came to Turkey and made an investigation.

• TUSAS General Manager Temel Kotil:
"If they allow, we can 'assembly' the F-16s."

I bet lockmart will come with that offer themselves. Existing Viper assembly lines are backed up to no end, and the will to invest more is not there due to F-35 being a priority.
Yup, very true. I think it's a smart move by LM. Their South Carolina factory is clearly not big enough for current international demands of F-16 and they definitely will be able to secure more F-16 deals should they have more production capacity. One of the biggest reason Poland opted for FA-50PL was the back logs of current F-16 production waitlist. TAI is perfectly fit for this job and probably one of the most experienced out there in making F-16s apart from those people in Fort Worth. Also it's a nice deal that could warm-up the chilled US-Turkiye relations a bit.

Overall it could work like how Sikorsky is offering Black Hawks produced in Poland in international markets or how TKMS offered Type 214s built by a Turkish shipyard on some bids.

Last edited:

Windchime

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,276
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea
MURAD will use liquid cooling, probably some ports to re-cool the liquid, i don't really know much about that part
Yeah, I know that part. SABR is also cooled with liquid-cooled ECS, which's heat-exchanger is cooled with the bleed air from F100/F110. This was the case with the older mechanically scanning F-16 radars as well and SABR uses the same cooling capacity, which was its main limitation, as you would already probably know.

If MURAD requires and Ozgur has additional cooling capacity, that would probably mean ram air since the engines aren't changed. This is what I meant with above post and something that got me as a surprise because adding ram-air capacity means some aerodynamic reconfiguration, which is no small upgrade. I would like to know if there's a source on this claim but since you're saying that you're also not that sure about it, I'll wait for other forum members who could tell me if this really is the case.

Though even if Ozgur doesn't have additional cooling capacity, its newer GaN based architecture will surely mean superior hardware compared to SABR, no doubt.

Last edited:

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,054
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
We must remember that MMU will use F-110 for quite a long time. And remember that the USA blocked T-129 sales to Pakistan because of the engine. Pakistan and the USA's relationship did not get better meanwhile. Therefore, as long as MMU has an F-110, Pakistan can't get in.

You can still take orders for the nationalized variant, deliveries will be later but unlike with the T-129 we will be able to honour the contract eventually.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,162
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Considering TAI electrified a helicopter for unmanned operation they may want to try their hand in electric regional planes business..There are a multitude of startups developing planes to do this. It will be relatively easy to accomplish considering the relative ease of making electric motors and batteries.

Ammar

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Palestine
Three HÜRKUŞ can be seen in the HÜRJET video, two of them are for Niger 🇳🇪

‪Hürkuş.jpg

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,539
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Kind of related,

Here is a ASELSAN 100 watt S band T/R module, maybe we can expect ~50w X band modules for TF-X?
IMG_20230203_122022.jpg

Last edited:

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
For TEI's claims, unfortunately I don't have necessary information to answer wheter they are oversimplifying or not. All I know is usually upscaling and downscaling processess are not as simple as they sound.
I'll take that as them sending an overly optimistic message out in order to win the TF-X engine projected.

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,539
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
50W is too high for any aircraft to cool down. 5-10W are more reasonable
well it depends, on the stand there was also a cooling system (possibly for MURAD)

Also MURAD uses 30 watt modules, 50 watt for BÜRFİS main radar could be possible.

5-10W these days are too low

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,539
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Peak power and efficient average power are very different things. You wouldn't reach peak power even at the most optimum states.
The thing is what's written on nearly all T/R module brochures (national/international) are for peak power

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,538
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
100W module does not automatically mean you have to use it at 100W (the max possible of that module)

If you use for instance just 30W on a 100W module than this module can easily deliver this power and will not heat up excessively. If you constantly use it on 100W than your module will need active cooling because it will dissipate heat.

Like Boracetkin mentions the power module is over dimensioned to handle easily a peak power, the needed power and stay inside reasonable limits in which the module does not overheat

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,381
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
That's what I have been trying to explain him that 10-13 watt are enough for fighter craft considering size and cooling requirements.

What is weird is you dont see any rush in US jets to field high power GaN based AESA.
It seems, GaAs based APG series is good enough for f35s, f22, f16 and f15ex for now.

F35s APG81 has T/R modules with 15 watts. And it is the best radar out there.

Top Bottom