Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,798
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I that case, it can't use RD-93. It has to use the WS-13 and I don't think China is going to be eager to provide that engine and anger Russia.
I would assume China uses own engine on export variant. Like ws

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
115 14,815
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
There has been a lot of confusion about the engine of Hurjet aircraft. Mr Demir, did not correct the interviewer to the contrary when he said that the ej200 was the chosen engine for this plane In an interview couple of months ago.
Hurjet will be flying within a year or so. But there is no definite word about the engine the prototype will be carrying.
As far as the design of the plane suggests any one of the GE404 / GE414 or Eurojet EJ200 engines can be the right contender for the job.
GE404 engine having a thrust of 17700 lbf , GE414 engine a thrust of 22000lbf and EJ200 having a thrust of 20300lbf ; all have dimensions and weights that are suitable for the Hurjet.
But if we are solely thinking of a trainer aircraft, then GE404 is the right choice. However if we are thinking of a CAS aircraft as well , then either ej200 or GE414 should be the choice.
There is also the option of a TVC version of the ej200 engine which delivers over 20% more thrust (23100lbf) and less fuel usage and longer engine life. This engine could power a naval version of the Hurjet off of TCG Anadolu.
GE engine is USA origined. Tusas is thinking of 200-400 planes including exports and replacing t-38’s. For this sort of quantity if produced by TEI , it will be like the T-700 Blackhawk engines ; under licence and limited indigenous parts. But if ej200 is the engine of choice, then Kale/RR would produce it under licence. But owing to our current relations with UK we could get much more favourable rights and conditions , especially in light of the hard times RR is going through right now.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
115 14,815
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
GE414 is probably the best engine amongst the available ones. But I would not like to go this route. US would not allow you to sell the planes to Pakistan or Azerbaijan with their engine on board. RR/Kale partnership has always said that short of IP rights all sales to third parties are allowed whether in engine form or with the plane.
But for me the TVC version of EJ200 is a beast. Thrust Vectoring Control with improved thrust would make the aircraft a Mach 1.8 plane that can take off from short runways like TCG Anadolu with a ski lift and land with arresting hook if need arise. But 23100lbs thrust with f35 style new avionics supporting an AESA radar and extra load carrying capability would make this a contender for a replacement of f16.

A

adenl

The issue is that an overly advanced Hurjet competes with the F-16 and other fighter platforms while being inferior both in performance and price. It is better to stick with the trainer rol and a very light CAS, both on land and sea and focus on TF-X and supersonic UCAV's capable of multi-role missions.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,798
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
What’s the pricetag of Hurjet if it’s too costly compared to similar platforms

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
115 14,815
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
The issue is that an overly advanced Hurjet competes with the F-16 and other fighter platforms while being inferior both in performance and price. It is better to stick with the trainer rol and a very light CAS, both on land and sea and focus on TF-X and supersonic UCAV's capable of multi-role missions.
If we are not going to buy any more f16’s to make up for the shortfall in our inventory until post 2028-29 when TFX becomes available ; then a small but capable fighter such as an advanced Hurjet would be a life saver. It may have better RCS values than current f16’s we have and carry BVR and WVR missiles for air combat. But also be a good solid CAS plane.
We must not underestimate the need for such a plane in export markets either.
Especially if we can position it in to 50-60 million dollar band in basic form and market it as a mini 4+ gen plane ; there will be many countries that would be interested in and we can reap the benefits of selling spares and ammunitions to the prospective users as added bonus.

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
11 4,975
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
115 14,815
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
It could even have different engine configurations. An RD-93, F-414/404, EJ200 or 2x Honeywell/ITEC F125-GA-100. Perhaps even an M88?
Exactly. South Korean KAI-T50 is offered with GE404/GE414 and EJ200 engines.

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
- advanced trainer version (two seats)
- lead in fighter trainer version (two seats)
- multirole combat version (single seat)
- ???

Do you expect a export version or aerobatic specified version?
(land) Attack version maybe. Dont have AA missile capability.

Glass🚬

Contributor
Reactions
2 3,159
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
- advanced trainer version (two seats)
- lead in fighter trainer version (two seats)
- multirole combat version (single seat)
- ???

Do you expect a export version or aerobatic specified version?

Think some modifications as a trainer for naval platforms?

Reviewbrah

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
T-50A-Jet-Trainers-1.jpg

69f347654e58533de007dc139f841096.jpg

avf16_4_01.png

Latest Hurjet design shares similar characteristics

Attachments

• FG15-2299_004-F16-ConfRm-v2-2-F-16s.jpg
    FG15-2299_004-F16-ConfRm-v2-2-F-16s.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 115

Skyfall

Committed member
Reactions
3 913
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
Most important requirement I think for now is for something carrier based. Anything else can be bought from elsewhere and there are several options on the international market. Since there are no F35s coming and no other real VTOLs available, then this requirement needs to be addressed.
So needs to be kept light with plenty of thrust and be able to carry anti ship missile. And of course look good in navy colours.

T

Turko

İ would love to see HURJET VTOSL, but it needs a lot of know-how. Even Lockheed Martin made corporation with Yakovlev for two years on yak141. I am not saying that LM wasnt eligible and didn't have know-how but they just cut the corners with russian partnership.

Thus current f35 has identical vtol construction and engine nozzle of yak 141.

2255584_1200x627.jpg

P.S.
Request: guys somebody could make photoshop HURJET VTOL variant with vertical jet nozzle and vertical engines like .
IMG_20201114_214417.jpg

main-qimg-a7f6095ab5248d534ccb35100cc94bc8.webp

EDIT:
Any laugh i will shoot:)
ahval2.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyfall

Committed member
Reactions
3 913
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
İ would love to see HURJET VTOSL, but it needs a lot of know-how. Even Lockheed Martin made corporation with Yakovlev for two years on yak141. I am not saying that LM wasnt eligible and didn't have know-how but they just cut the corners with russian partnership.

Thus current f35 has identical vtol construction and engine nozzle of yak 141.

2255584_1200x627.jpg

P.S.
Request: guys somebody could make photoshop HURJET VTOL variant with vertical jet nozzle and vertical engines like .
View attachment 6407
main-qimg-a7f6095ab5248d534ccb35100cc94bc8.webp
VTOL may be a little far fetched, but if they were to team up with Yakovlev perhaps it could produce a future variant.
I think some sort of STOL aircraft would be more feasible at this stage of development. If not then larger drones will need to have ability to launch and land from aircraft carrier.
If this is not possible then Turkish Navy will have to rely on Long Endurance drones which will take off and land at regular airfields.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,798
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
VTOL may be a little far fetched, but if they were to team up with Yakovlev perhaps it could produce a future variant.
I think some sort of STOL aircraft would be more feasible at this stage of development. If not then larger drones will need to have ability to launch and land from aircraft carrier.
If this is not possible then Turkish Navy will have to rely on Long Endurance drones which will take off and land at regular airfields.
LM patented the part of the F35 design where the VTOL air current is managed through the opening behind the glass dome.

and LM didn’t have VTOL tech, they bought it.

I saw a YouTube video where Harriers were explained, and more detailed info on past design was mentioned there.

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom