Indonesia Indonesian Air Force, Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Udara (TNI-AU)

trishna_amrta

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

Indonesia's plan to procure Rafale fighters hampered by funding roadblock​

by Ridzwan Rahmat

A Dassault Rafale multirole fighter, seen here on the flight deck of aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle while it was berthed at RSS Singapura - Changi Naval Base. (Janes/Ridzwan Rahmat)

A Dassault Rafale multirole fighter, seen here on the flight deck of aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle while it was berthed at RSS Singapura - Changi Naval Base. (Janes/Ridzwan Rahmat)
The Indonesian Ministry of Defense (MOD) has made further progress in its effort to procure 36 Rafale multirole fighter aircraft from Dassault Aviation but a formal contract may be delayed by a lack of clarity over funding sources.

In February, a delegation of senior Indonesian MOD officials led by Major General Dadang Hedrayudha, director general of the ministry's defence potential department, completed the latest round of negotiations with Dassault Aviation's vice-president for business development Jean Claude Piccirillo, and vice-president for offset Michael Paskoff.

The negotiations, which largely covered offset and financing arrangements, went well, Maj Gen Dadang said in February. The MOD has since raised a request for the programme to be funded with foreign-sourced loans, ministry officials disclosed in March.

However, a schedule of national projects that have been approved for foreign funding was obtained by Janes on 21 May. It confirms that Rafale programme has not been included. The schedule is published annually by the Indonesian Ministry of National Development Planning (Kementerian Perencanaan Pembangunan Nasional: BAPPENAS), and it spells out national programmes for which foreign loans can be obtained for the year.

As such, given the lack of endorsement from the BAPPENAS, the bid to procure 36 Rafale fighters has not been gazetted by the Indonesian Ministry of Finance (MOF) as a defence procurement programme for the 2021 financial year.

Janes

as usual from the current Admin

The key is our Presiden, in which doesn't give a fuck about Defense matter compared to his predecessor. Not to mention his economy policy is not promising enough .....

Well be living in prosperity

Captain Wales

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
The key is our Presiden, in which doesn't give a fuck about Defense matter compared to his predecessor. Not to mention his economy policy is not promising enough .....
yea, his commitment toward Defense is not good, for his economic policy well just wait and see if it succeed or not.

what i am supportive of him were his infrastructure program, the village where my parents live in got some infrastructure building boost the last couple of year so i grateful for that.

although i am just feeling so-so about the High speed train JKT-BDG, and kertajati airport still not used to the fullest.
the problem about kertajati (not only kertajati but most of the project) is the access.
it's the usual problem really when building something in Indonesia "pembebasan lahan". usually it goes something like this; protest, negotiation, court, negotiation, deal, then they disagree, protest, court again, negotiation, the usual.

for KCJB, let the time decide if it success or not, maybe it is maybe its not, but they must expand the route to Surabaya to make it more viable.
ok this OOT enough, lets back to Air Force topic.

Parry Brima

Contributor
Reactions
1 1,057
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

This. It's all about the political will of the RI-1, regardless of what the MoF & Bappenas say. I also agree despite his brag about his economy oriented policy, he's not smart enough to fix our economy as well.

Not just his predecessor though, I think all the other presidents before him at least had more guts than him. Even the lackluster MSP :)

Let's hope that he'll release that decree or whatever to greenlight this.

(If not then don't worry, there's always used Eurofighter to save the day :) )

R4duga

Experienced member
Reactions
2 2,367
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
This. It's all about the political will of the RI-1, regardless of what the MoF & Bappenas say. I also agree despite his brag about his economy oriented policy, he's not smart enough to fix our economy as well.

Not just his predecessor though, I think all the other presidents before him at least had more guts than him. Even the lackluster MSP :)

Let's hope that he'll release that decree or whatever to greenlight this.

(If not then don't worry, there's always used Eurofighter to save the day :) )
if thing turns out to get bonker , i rather choose elang gurun and upgrade/maximize their capability to its fullest.

NEKO

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
3 2,562
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
if thing turns out to get bonker , i rather choose elang gurun and upgrade/maximize their capability to its fullest.
Not a bad idea, if its still in a good condition.

For the elang gurun then its probably half dead for a while, while the EF still in use and alive but at least its not new for us (F16).
for KCJB, let the time decide if it success or not, maybe it is maybe its not, but they must expand the route to Surabaya to make it more viable.
I hope the quality of the project is not disappointing.

Jaka45

Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Someone tell Jokowi that all his infrastructure program will be a big waste if the enemy can destroy it easily.

We really need a big slap in the face sometime to wake up the government.
Maybe china can help us sink some of our vessel or shot down our plane first 🤣

Lordimperator

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
1 2,552
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Remake of pearl harbour bombardement at Natuna

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Kertajati is not busy because the toll road from the airport into Bandung is not finished yet, so the condition we see Today is likely temporary.

Kertajati is also very potential for PT Dirgantara Indonesia factory expansion and also for PT RAI possible factory. I dont consider it as a waste

Last edited:

Var Dracon

Reactions
1 473
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Don't forget that in 2015 2nd semester the economy is supposedly "meroket" (skyrocketed) as said by Jakwee himself.
Someone tell Jokowi that all his infrastructure program will be a big waste if the enemy can destroy it easily.

This is the bad habit of Indonesians: Waiting for tragedy first, then taking action. Remember Paiton tragedy where 54 poor soul burned to death because they're trapped inside their bus? Only after that buses are required to have emergency exit and emergency glass breaker. The same goes to Nanggala tragedy.

Captain Wales

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
I hope the quality of the project is not disappointing.
OOT;
I Hope So, KCJB is china premiere project, it one of their first export of high speed rail technology (construction, train, technology). it wouldn't do good to china image (to their export product) if it fail especially if they wanted to compete with japan/europe to build high speed rail in another country.
ok back to the Air Force

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,020
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Routine patrol of Indonesian Air Force helicopters over civillian balloon
E2Ceqf_UYAMntQh.jpeg
E2CeqIFVcAEZfHu.jpeg
E2CepquVkAAEYpp.jpeg

Van Kravchenko

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
2 872
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Routine patrol of Indonesian Air Force helicopters over civillian balloon View attachment 21648 View attachment 21649 View attachment 21650
So the patrol is focusing on search, observe, and reporting the baloon conditions ?

Does air baloon couldn't detected by radar ?

You got the point of "interim dire need", but the bourecrat seems need more sophisticated yet diary cows for their agenda.

Just, spam F16 + AIM 120D

Jaka45

Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Just to summarize the recent discussion ;

Dassult Rafale = CANCELED
Boeing F-15EX = CANCELED
🇦🇹Eurofighter = CANCELED

China will grow larger 🤪
We really never learn with how the Dutch is so unprepared to face Japan expansion in WW2.
Seem like history will repeat again.🙃

Djketoprak

Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
We really never learn with how the Dutch is so unprepared to face Japan expansion in WW2.
Seem like history will repeat again.🙃
Of course not. China is our friend. China is "Light of Asia", "Protector of Asia", and "Leader of Asia";)

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,020
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Just to summarize the recent discussion ;

Dassult Rafale = CANCELED
Boeing F-15EX = CANCELED
🇦🇹Eurofighter = CANCELED

China will grow larger 🤪

No comment
So the patrol is focusing on search, observe, and reporting the baloon conditions ?

Does air baloon couldn't detected by radar ?

You got the point of "interim dire need", but the bourecrat seems need more sophisticated yet diary cows for their agenda.

Just, spam F16 + AIM 120D

As @trishna_amrta would say, We have big plans....

Well we already had a very big PLAN stationed in South China Sea instead

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom