Indonesia Indonesian Air Force, Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Udara (TNI-AU)

trishna_amrta

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Can you guys at least be little excited lah? That's what i mean the difference between old milies enthusiast and the current ones, you are already not so easy to be satisfied at all.

In the past during the great drought of military procurement we are content just to hear upgrading projects let alone to bought a newly built aircraft.
Well first of all, I'm not milies enthusiast, my perspective is more about getting the job done and the boys could return home alive and hopefully still in one piece. Which is why I have certain disdain toward the so call industrial expert (sales rep) around here.

Anyway, different time, different context. These days we are facing a Clear & Present Danger to the country both from foreign state actor and domestic non-state actors. We really need all those new assets along with the manpower training real quick.

NEKO

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
3 2,460
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Well, if you add the existing 15 with 8 new ones then you have 23, it's more than 21 though.
Well.
That 21 LIFT is the previous renbut for 2020 -2024, but apparently there are many changes.

Mandala

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Well, if you add the existing 15 with 6 new ones then you have 21though.
There was another T-50i incident. Don't know the status of that aircraft whether its repairable or a total loss.

"Pesawat tempur tersebut dalam kondisi rusak berat pascakejadian. TNI AU sudah menurunkan tim investigasi untuk mencari tahu secara pasti penyebab dari tergelincirnya pesawat tersebut. Kelaikan pesawat akan dicek juga."

Gundala

Reactions
1 506
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
from the price i doubt we got it with the radar lol
Yea lol, tho there is this line translated by google "With this contract, KAI will export six T-50i tactical introductory trainers and a follow-up support package for aircraft operation to Indonesia" which hopefully mean that aside from parts there will be another follow-up contract for the radar which the price/terms already been discussed? Oh well another wishfull thinking from my side, I just hate to see this capable jet fighter to be use just as a trainer without the radar while in reality we need every airframe we have to guard our mother land :confused:
this probably have something to do for T-50 transfer of technology and also preparation to churn out more fresh fighter pilot in the future
Not sure about that. There was a plan to move some of the T50i that already have radar installed permanently to their new base in Papua (Biak if Im not mistaken) and if my memory serve me right it was Pak Hadi who said it (not sure if this happen when he was KASAU or Pangab). Perhaps the reason is to maintain jet trainer numbers avaiable that we need after they execute the plan.

Tho my totally crazy speculation said that this might be the deal, penalty, sweetener (whatever we want to call it) to postpone or even cancel the current Changbogo deal. With the approval of USD 600 mil budget for Submarine stop gap and with all those fighters/frigates we going to get it is highly unlikely that we can shoulder another USD1.2 bil deal of Changbogo contract. At least not now in this Covid era. But again this is just a wild speculation....

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,611
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Last paragraph.

"Previously, KAI exported 16 T-50i units to Indonesia on May 25, 2011 and T-50i radar and machine gun installation business on November 8, 2018."
The same with Thailand. First they ordered 4 T-50TH in 2015, second contract for 8 more was awarded in 2017. In 2019, third contract for the installment of radar, data link and related avionics to their 12 T-50TH.

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,020
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Thailand ordered 2 more, and completed their T/A 50 programme

Mandala

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Off topic. Russia Su-75 Presentation.

Brief characteristics were also presented:

- payload in the region of 7 tons.
- combat radius of 1500 km.
- takeoff / run length 400 m.
- arming various missiles and corrected ammunition.

Last edited:

kooppyyy

Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
But grandpa... the previous plan was for 21 LIFT not 6 / 8, or perhaps we will order more later?
The number that we have now with the new order (21? or 22?) for LIFT is already quite a good ratio in comparison to the number of our front-line fighters IMO. Countries like Australia only operate 33 LIFT to the almost 100 front-line fighters that they operating (F-35 & SuperBug), Singapore has even less LIFT than us. I don't know how our Air Force organizes its curriculum, but looking from the ORBAT it looks like the bus drivers (Transport pilots) go from flying the Grob or the Marchetti straight into their assigned aircraft (235/295/130), don't know if the KT-1B is also being used as training or strictly for the Jupiter team only.
Just imagine how hard you are when that news about FREMM published!
MFW Fincantieri announced the news:
maxresdefault.jpg

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,020
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
The number that we have now with the new order (21? or 22?) for LIFT is already quite a good ratio in comparison to the number of our front-line fighters IMO. Countries like Australia only operate 33 LIFT to the almost 100 front-line fighters that they operating (F-35 & SuperBug), Singapore has even less LIFT than us. I don't know how our Air Force organizes its curriculum, but looking from the ORBAT it looks like the bus drivers (Transport pilots) go from flying the Grob or the Marchetti straight into their assigned aircraft (235/295/130), don't know if the KT-1B is also being used as training or strictly for the Jupiter team only.

MFW Fincantieri announced the news:
maxresdefault.jpg

Indonesian Air Force operated at least 7 Hawk 109 double seater trainer aircraft, so actually we got quite enough LIFT aircraft

Parry Brima

Contributor
Reactions
1 1,057
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

Only 3 spec parameters revealed?

- Payload 7 tons. It's more than F-35B (6800 kg), but less than F-35A/C (8100 kg)
- Combat radius 1500km. It's more than F-35 (935km - 1241km).
- takeoff length 400m. Not sure about F-35, but this Australian link said F-35A needs 8000 feet (2500m?).

kooppyyy

Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Indonesian Air Force operated at least 7 Hawk 109 double seater trainer aircraft, so actually we got quite enough LIFT aircraft
To be honest I always assume the Mk 109 as LCA and the conversion trainer for the squadron operating Mk 209 (1st & 12th), similar to the F-16B to F-16A. But you're right we might also use it for LIFT, so we currently have more than enough LIFT aircraft.

Mandala

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Off topic. Russia Su-75 Presentation.

^^^
Excepts from other article.

"The plane’s specifications, design, and loadout have not fully been confirmed as of the time of writing. Here is what we currently know: the new aircraft is a light, stealth-oriented, single-seat fifth-generation fighter that’s smaller and less specialized than the Su-57. Rostec head Sergey Chemezov added that the new plane will boast a top speed of 1,900 kilometers per hour, an operational range of around 3,000 kilometers, and a payload capacity of “over seven tons.”

Chemezov added that the new plane will have a per-model cost of around $25 to $30 million, which he says is the current market sweet spot between capabilities and affordability. “This is a light fifth-generation fighter. There are analogs [to this fighter] in the world. That is the F-35, Gripen, and Rafale. But we prioritized delivering an affordable and [cost-]effective fighter. Our price will be, I hope, around $25 to $30 million, while theirs is $60 to $90 million,” he said."

Parry Brima

Contributor
Reactions
1 1,057
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
^^^

"The plane’s specifications, design, and loadout have not fully been confirmed as of the time of writing. Here is what we currently know: the new aircraft is a light, stealth-oriented, single-seat fifth-generation fighter that’s smaller and less specialized than the Su-57. Rostec head Sergey Chemezov added that the new plane will boast a top speed of 1,900 kilometers per hour, an operational range of around 3,000 kilometers, and a payload capacity of “over seven tons.”

Chemezov added that the new plane will have a per-model cost of around $25 to $30 million, which he says is the current market sweet spot between capabilities and affordability. “This is a light fifth-generation fighter. There are analogs [to this fighter] in the world. That is the F-35, Gripen, and Rafale. But we prioritized delivering an affordable and [cost-]effective fighter. Our price will be, I hope, around $25 to $30 million, while theirs is $60 to $90 million,” he said."

Only $25 to $30 mil? :ROFLMAO:

Even Lockheed Martin's junk MLU cost us $15 to $20 mil:ROFLMAO:

Anyway, if that price is true then all SE Asia countries can probably afford it (apart from Timor Leste).

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,826
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
^^^

Poor guy's Lightning II

trishna_amrta

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Top Bottom