Latest Thread

Indonesia Indonesian Air Force, Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Udara (TNI-AU)

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,636
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
How do ANKA compare to Bayraktar? Also wasn't Andika interested in MQ-1C?
Anka is bigger and can carry more weapons. The downside is that it's likely easier to spot and to shoot down especially if they're being used as tactical, low-altitude UCAV (which I suppose is not their intended operational function).

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,636
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Why some russian pilots are overweight?
I thought ejection seat requirements prevent this?
Remember this?:

The Russians then used the accident as a case to promote their ejection seat.

I guess in better times, they can use that overweight pilot as another promotional material as well:

"Hey, our ejection seat can even handle and save fat pilots!" :oops:

HellFireIndo

Committed member
Reactions
OOT for a little bit
The same reason why some of our soldiers are overweight: neglect.

For the Russian Air Force specifically, some reported that Russia has a shortage of pilots. So this guy is a part of an undermanned air force, and therefore it is no wonder that Russia still deploys unfit pilots because they do not have a replacement for that guy.

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,875
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
The same reason why some of our soldiers are overweight: neglect.

For the Russian Air Force specifically, some reported that Russia has a shortage of pilots. So this guy is a part of an undermanned air force, and therefore it is no wonder that Russia still deploys unfit pilots because they do not have a replacement for that guy.
I don't remember we have overweight fighter pilot.

HellFireIndo

Committed member
Reactions
I don't remember we have overweight fighter pilot
Exactly, we don't have the problem of an undermanned air force. Hence we can select younger, better trained, fit pilots for the fighters. Our fighter fleet is not that numerous anyway, so this isn't an issue for us. But this is an issue for Russia, they don't have enough pilots and so unfit old pilot was deployed anyway.

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,875
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Exactly, we don't have the problem of an undermanned air force. Hence we can select younger, better trained, fit pilots for the fighters. Our fighter fleet is not that numerous anyway, so this isn't an issue for us. But this is an issue for Russia, they don't have enough pilots and so unfit old pilot was deployed anyway.
Rafale, F15 and KF21 are coming.

HellFireIndo

Committed member
Reactions
Rafale, F15 and KF21 are coming.
Hence I would like to assume at least by then there would be no shortage of pilots to man the fighters. Currently, we have a surplus of pilots, and normally any air force has to be in surplus. So current active pilots, added with future fresh AAU graduates, should be enough to fill in the ranks.

HellFireIndo

Committed member
Reactions
OOT for a little bit
1646489096932.png

Apparently the guy is nicknamed "The Flying Pig of Aleppo". This can be a lesson for all of us, as some people ask the question why Air Force prefered young and fit guys to such a standard as their pilots; this is why.

Van Kravchenko

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
2 872
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
@HellFireIndo @Ravager @FPXAllen hey guys, WDYT ?
recently Su-30, Su-34 from Russian confirmed lost in lasf few days, yet shown its capability is worst than old days F-16. Does IdAF have a slight chance to maintains it's Su-series since no official Country outside Russia capable to do heavy MRO for Su-series. The good news is we can purchase Su MRO from China.

But again, the world are watching that Su 27 fammilies lost its fate as detterent fighter. Other than Victory day parade, me myself didn't see any use of this birds in IdAF inventory for 5 years ahead.

Well, we should grab 36 F 15 offer from US before its obsolete. 🤣
Decades ahead our armed forces inventory will filled both from EU and US with NATO standard.

so there's no future of Russian made equipment isn't it?

R4duga

Experienced member
Reactions
2 2,367
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
recently Su-30, Su-34 from Russian confirmed lost in lasf few days, yet shown its capability is worst than old days F-16. Does IdAF have a slight chance to maintains it's Su-series since no official Country outside Russia capable to do heavy MRO for Su-series. The good news is we can purchase Su MRO from China.

But again, the world are watching that Su 27 fammilies lost its fate as detterent fighter. Other than Victory day parade, me myself didn't see any use of this birds in IdAF inventory for 5 years ahead.

Decades ahead our armed forces inventory will filled both from EU and US with NATO standard.

OOT you know what every passing day in this conflict i always thought "those russian must have something on their sleeves" and waiting for somekind of surprise turning point type of situation, misinformation, fake news, or even if it was true , things surely look grim for the russian advanced in ukraine, i wonder if it will go into a worst scenario like their troops retreating and eventually all those capitulation on few ukraine cities will simply turn back the war-map back to the start before ukraine invasion happens (get liberated again by ukraine counter attack)...

HellFireIndo

Committed member
Reactions
recently Su-30, Su-34 from Russian confirmed lost in lasf few days, yet shown its capability is worst than old days
They are proper 4th gen fighters, flown by 3rd gen pilots, some of whom are overweight.
Does IdAF have a slight chance to maintains it's Su-series since no official Country outside Russia capable to do heavy MRO for Su-series
Maintaining to OK level for a few years is one thing, but to hope that they will be effective in a high-intensity conflict, probably not.
The good news is we can purchase Su MRO from China.
Bad idea due to geopolitics
Hence the fighter acquisition for the next decades is crucial. The entire reason we even acquire the Sukhoi was due to the western embargo, yet for that same reason, investing in Sukhoi today is even riskier for us. Having Rafale will hopefully prevent a possible risk of an embargo because the French has a relatively consistent non-interference policy. So Rafale largely replace the role of Sukhoi and is even more advanced in many aspects.
The trio fighters are effective up to 2050s at least, F-15EX, in particular, has very long service hours, and if the US is operating it, you know it'll last long and won't be considered obsolete anytime soon. But of course, the three are all NATO standard, so it makes much more sense to expand our investment on NATO standard armaments and facilities. While at the same time, we will gradually decrease focus on the Sukhoi to eventually retire them in favor of the trio.
Pretty much so, though it is unclear regarding the fate of Russian equipments in other branches, particularly the Marines.

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,020
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
OOT you know what every passing day in this conflict i always thought "those russian must have something on their sleeves" and waiting for somekind of surprise turning point type of situation, misinformation, fake news, or even if it was true , things surely look grim for the russian advanced in ukraine, i wonder if it will go into a worst scenario like their troops retreating and eventually all those capitulation on few ukraine cities will simply turn back the war-map back to the start before ukraine invasion happens (get liberated again by ukraine counter attack)...

Looking at for their Su 30 and Mi 35 (in which we had "export" version of it) performance in Ukraine, i don't think they had giving stellar performance for days during the conflict. I don't think we can depend ourselves with such aircraft which had proof themselves so meagre. And at other hand, i am surely giving more hope toward our future procurement plan in which entirely based on western allies technology can actually had some deterrence.

Van Kravchenko

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
2 872
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
turn back the war-map back to the start
I am not going that far, rather just justify the ways some weapon ended up as a garbage.

Russia, surely will overwhelm and chip Ukraine (still, i wonder where's their Balistic missile in recent days?). Buth ukraine will ne resist, event if their farm will turn to be warzone in months ahead.

But, in my conclusion. The fatal move that Russia has made is make Ukraine as enemy state by border. The one that every nations hate, clearly will ended up like east-west German or north-south Korea.
By my prespection, this will cause our Russian made equipment in crippled state.

R4duga

Experienced member
Reactions
2 2,367
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
where's their Balistic missile in recent days?.
another massive OOT, judging by their attempt to hit kharkiv administration building but their cruise missile ended up hitting the roadside, seems like they have an hard time to land a hit with pinpoint accuracy precision guided attack.

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,636
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

I still believe that it's not the aircraft nor their pilots who put those Sukhoi jets' reputation to shame. There's something deeper going on where with the tools that the VVS has at hand, they're either unable or unwilling to plan and launch better coordinated air operations against their Ukrainian opposition.

Regarding their usage in our air force, the writing on the wall has actually started to appear some time ago that they won't be of much use for us in the future. Since we can't perform heavy maintenance by ourselves and that their spare parts, especially engines, are notoriously expensive, in addition to that our current most potential adversary candidate is also operating a large number of Sukhoi fighters or some licensed derivatives of them, it's not that hard to convince even the most hardened Sukhoi supporters in the top ranks of our air force to drop our Su-35 orders and switch to Western fighters - or so, I assume.

If we're talking about our future combat aircraft inventory, for the next 30 years at least, while it's likely will be dominated by EU and US aircraft just liike what you wrote, but we ought to be able to draw some valuable lessons from the cost that Russia must bear from its ongoing war with Ukraine and how it will affect us, especially this: That we can no longer depend on any foreign nations to build our own air power. Assuming that we won't be able to operate our Sukhoi fighters after the next five years, efforts must be taken to ensure that we must have the capability and capacity to design, build and operate our own indigenous designs within the next decade or so.

Surely, this doesn't mean that all of the components including the engines and electronics must also be of our own design since to be able to achieve this, it will take us much longer than 30-40 years even if we start today. It's simply that if we can design and build our own combat jets - even if they're still fitted with Western innards - we can stop ourselves from being too dependent on foreign sources for things like heavy maintenance and modifications to suit our operational needs down the way.

Now if we can just use the Russian missiles still remain in our inventory so that we can take them apart, study, and reverse engineer them to eventually create our own, that will be great and proves that at least there's still some use for Russian-made hardwares to us.

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,020
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
another massive OOT, judging by their attempt to hit kharkiv administration building but their cruise missile ended up hitting the roadside, seems like they have an hard time to land a hit with pinpoint accuracy precision guided attack.

And now our air force, navy and army doesn't have such capability neither to Shield ourselves against such attack 😔😔

Top Bottom