Indonesia Indonesian Air Force, Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Udara (TNI-AU)

KanalKiri

Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
CRB is now being popular military analyst mainly rus-ukr war. She always prefer TNI AU to buy those almighty dragon.

I count for 4 media she said that

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,636
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
fun fact : Su 35 hasn't such PGM nor Targeting pod as eco friendly F16 block 52
This baffled me somehow. While I must admit that I was once caught in the hype regarding Sukhoi fighters - I mean, who wouldn't if you have feel the roar of its twin engine reverberating in your chest firsthand? - but if modern Western fighters equipped with targeting pods are capable to toss a bomb 'straight through the eye of a needle' on the ground from high altitude, figuratively speaking, Russian approach seems to prefer raw destructive power over accuracy.

This is by no mean I'm insinuating that Russian don't have PGMs for those Sukhoi fighters on their own. It's just that what I've seen from the results of Russian bombardment in a Ukrainian airport stand in contrast to what they've shown us when they were fighting in Syria.

Anyway, all things considered, I'm just glad that we somehow "dodged a bullet" by cancelling Su-35 acquisition.

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,020
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
275224612_2027894870704224_5074127347194189063_n.png

Hope they can have more meteor and mica

HellFireIndo

Committed member
Reactions
This baffled me somehow. While I must admit that I was once caught in the hype regarding Sukhoi fighters - I mean, who wouldn't if you have feel the roar of its twin engine reverberating in your chest firsthand? - but if modern Western fighters equipped with targeting pods are capable to toss a bomb 'straight through the eye of a needle' on the ground from high altitude, figuratively speaking, Russian approach seems to prefer raw destructive power over accuracy.

This is by no mean I'm insinuating that Russian don't have PGMs for those Sukhoi fighters on their own. It's just that what I've seen from the results of Russian bombardment in a Ukrainian airport stand in contrast to what they've shown us when they were fighting in Syria.

Anyway, all things considered, I'm just glad that we somehow "dodged a bullet" by cancelling Su-35 acquisition.
A lot of reports on Russian bomb inaccuracy. Honestly, I think the Russian cannot even hope to hit a tank accurately with their fighters' bombs, as even their attempt at neutralizing airstrips was ineffective. This capability, of being able to deliver bombs accurately, is often looked over, yet massively crucial for modern air support doctrine. If Russian fighters are unable to perform even that effectively, then they cannot be used to support ground operation, hence it isn't a proper "multirole" aircraft and is nearly obsolete. This is a stark contrast to the lesson taken from US Operation Desert Storm against Iraq, as PGMs then carried the day, and US fighter-bombers have proven to have more use for accurate bombs, than a large mass of dumb bombs.

PGMs and other guided munitions allow for very effective neutralization of ground vehicles, hence fighters employing them are truly "multirole", and could effectively support ground operation, in contrast to what the Russian operation is showing to us now.

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,636
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
A lot of reports on Russian bomb inaccuracy. Honestly, I think the Russian cannot even hope to hit a tank accurately with their fighters' bombs, as even their attempt at neutralizing airstrips was ineffective. This capability, of being able to deliver bombs accurately, is often looked over, yet massively crucial for modern air support doctrine. If Russian fighters are unable to perform even that effectively, then they cannot be used to support ground operation, hence it isn't a proper "multirole" aircraft and is nearly obsolete. This is a stark contrast to the lesson taken from US Operation Desert Storm against Iraq, as PGMs then carried the day, and US fighter-bombers have proven to have more use for accurate bombs, than a large mass of dumb bombs.

PGMs and other guided munitions allow for very effective neutralization of ground vehicles, hence fighters employing them are truly "multirole", and could effectively support ground operation, in contrast to what the Russian operation is showing to us now.
True that, and I hope that TNI-AU is also aiming to have more PGMs and how to utilize them more effectively. In today's battlefield, we can no longer depend on "carpet bombing the hell out of the enemy" especially if said enemy possess their own air defense measures.

Bold: not only that, but also to minimize unnecessary collateral damage as much as possible. It's one thing if the enemy is out in the open, but if they're already entering one of our towns or cities, it is imperative for us to have the capability to shove a bomb directly on their throats only.

HellFireIndo

Committed member
Reactions
True that, and I hope that TNI-AU is also aiming to have more PGMs and how to utilize them more effectively. In today's battlefield, we can no longer depend on "carpet bombing the hell out of the enemy" especially if said enemy possess their own air defense measures.

Bold: not only that, but also to minimize unnecessary collateral damage as much as possible. It's one thing if the enemy is out in the open, but if they're already entering one of our towns or cities, it is imperative for us to have the capability to shove a bomb directly on their throats only.
Meanwhile, apparently Sari Bahari bombs are literally copies of those used by Russia

1646473153894.png

Do they look familiar?

So these are definitely dumb bombs, and I cannot see the possibility of installing guidance kit on them. Unless we are going to do saturation bombing on cities, these bombs are of little use. Especially since our objective as an island nation is to repel invasions, meaning targeting troops, city leveling capability will have no use.

Instead we need to adopt these en masse:

1646473571072.png

We need A LOT of JDAMs and GBUs, and so we need to standardize this:
1646473686938.png

Idk the name of the bomb, anyone can name them? anyway we should use them as our main bomb and install JDAM kits on them. Having GBUs and cruise missiles will also helps a lot, but for now having JDAMs is more urgent.

Var Dracon

Reactions
1 473
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Meanwhile, apparently Sari Bahari bombs are literally copies of those used by Russia

View attachment 40556
Do they look familiar?

So these are definitely dumb bombs, and I cannot see the possibility of installing guidance kit on them. Unless we are going to do saturation bombing on cities, these bombs are of little use. Especially since our objective as an island nation is to repel invasions, meaning targeting troops, city leveling capability will have no use.

View attachment 40558
We need A LOT of JDAMs and GBUs, and so we need to standardize this:
View attachment 40559
Idk the name of the bomb, anyone can name them? anyway we should use them as our main bomb and install JDAM kits on them. Having GBUs and cruise missiles will also helps a lot, but for now having JDAMs is more urgent.

As far as I know, the dumb bomb is made of 3 parts: The front (which contains fuse), the body (contains warhead), and the tail. They are detachable. So in order to make smart bomb, the front and the tail part must be swapped with ones with guidance and electronics. So it is possible that Russian-style bomb is made to be a smart bomb.

But here is a thing: Sari Bahari can also make NATO-standard bomb. Theoretically we can buy the guidance kit from foreign supplier and attach them to our bombs. This would be easier to NATO bombs because what's available is made specifically for NATO (or USA) bombs.

HellFireIndo

Committed member
Reactions
As far as I know, the dumb bomb is made of 3 parts: The front (which contains fuse), the body (contains warhead), and the tail. They are detachable. So in order to make smart bomb, the front and the tail part must be swapped with ones with guidance and electronics. So it is possible that Russian-style bomb is made to be a smart bomb.

But here is a thing: Sari Bahari can also make NATO-standard bomb. Theoretically we can buy the guidance kit from foreign supplier and attach them to our bombs. This would be easier to NATO bombs because what's available is made specifically for NATO (or USA) bombs.

Apparently, Singapore ordered 913 JDAM kits for 63 million, meaning around 70000 USD per kit, but this package includes "other things" as well, as usual for US arms sales. Personally, I find the deal quite cheap, as 1000 guided bombs can last for a whole campaign. Though in comparison cruise missiles are much more expensive, probably more than 10 times more expensive than JDAM, for example, SCALP and other NATO cruise missiles are 1.2 million USD per unit.

Sari Bahari should focus more on NATO-standard bombs, in my opinion. Obviously, because the Trio Rafale, F-15, and Boramae, all will use the NATO system and weapons, I can see the Sukhoi will have a limited role in the coming decades, as other members said, probably will retire early even.

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,636
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

1646473153894.png

Do they look familiar?

They're fine for a start. But you know how dumb bombs like those are being 'blown up' - pun intended - in our media like they're the best thing ever since nasi goreng, right?

Joke aside, those bombs are still useful, of course. But they're definitely not the best choice for precision strike missions.

1646473571072.png
Oh yes, I agree. That's why I've repeatedly suggested for us to start with something small first. Like a license to produce guidance kit for 70 mm rockets, for example. Turkey's Cirit is one fine example of that.

Then, either we can adopt its laser seeker and control modules to our dumb bombs, or we can also buy another license to produce something bigger like what's shown in the picture above.

Also, this:

or this:

Should be in our shopping list.

1646473686938.png

Mk-82.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom