Indonesia Indonesian Air Force, Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Udara (TNI-AU)

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,020
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Alman : biased towards France
Connie : biased towards China
Madoka : biased towards Lockheed Martin
Indos : biased towards KF-21.

I wish all of them were members here. Just need coffee + gorengan and watch them fight.

And you Gripendor?

Van Kravchenko

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
2 872
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
We also can do that with KF 21 as it uses US engine :cool:
sorry to disturb you, 2021 FY 🇮🇩 gain US$ 14B surplus from 🇺🇸, so how many engine needed to fulfill US$ 14B ?

that not what 🇺🇸 want. beside if the first delivery of F 15X (if effective) will as same as KFX first production, it will not beneficial for 🇺🇸 at all. not meant to be belittle, even PTDI seems not move forward to build such full production facility to support IFX. It's save for me to said KFX is faraway dream (please note 🇮🇩 customization specs).

the first thing i disappointed with KFX is it's to small so it carry small number of armament and gosh that Jettison drop-tank is disgust me a LOT, 🇰🇷 didn't have good sense of art.

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,848
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
the first thing i disappointed with KFX is it's to small so it carry small number of armament and gosh that Jettison drop-tank is disgust me a LOT, 🇰🇷 didn't have good sense of art.
KFX has mindset of battle in korean peninsula, range isn't his best selling point. Its internal fuel is pretty small and it has 2 engines so logically its fuel consumption is pretty high.

Well block 1 isn't a stealth aircraft anyway. But yeah... stealthy style design but still carry its load externally, really is make my eyes "sepet".

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,848
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
@Indos Do we have the license to develop IFX block 2 to fit our taste on our own or maybe co-develop with country other than Korea?

One thing dor sure, we don't have the license to export IFX.
Marsda (Purn) Eris Herryanto was talking about puting Rafale weaponry in IFX earlier. (if I don't misheard it)

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,848
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
There is supposed to be MoU between PT DI and Boeing at Singapore Airshow 2022, but maybe not about military aircraft.
Screenshot_20220217-141323_Zoom.jpg

wahyu845

Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
KFX has mindset of battle in korean peninsula, range isn't his best selling point. Its internal fuel is pretty small and it has 2 engines so logically its fuel consumption is pretty high.

Well block 1 isn't a stealth aircraft anyway. But yeah... stealthy style design but still carry its load externally, really is make my eyes "sepet".
KFX Block 1 equivalent to F 18 E/F has two engines, AESA and non-stealth radar, better take block 2 which has internal weapon storage & may have smaller rcs than blok 1

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,848
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
KFX Block 1 equivalent to F 18 E/F has two engines, AESA and non-stealth radar, better take block 2 which has internal weapon storage & may have smaller rcs than blok 1
No IWB for Block 2. It's just improvement of block 1, especially on software and ground strike aspects.

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
@Indos Do we have the license to develop IFX block 2 to fit our taste on our own or maybe co-develop with country other than Korea?

One thing for sure, we don't have the license to export IFX even after modified it to block 2 on our own. I hope I'm wrong tho.

Kri Makassar is the best ToT practice we have, we can modify the base design then export it to other country like Tarlac class to Philippine. I bet the current goverment renegotiate KFX to repeat the previous success story of Kri Makassar, but we failed to negotiate it.

The next time I have conversation with Indonesian KF21/IFX engineer I may talk about this.

But I believe KF21/IFX block 2,3 and possible block 4 will be developed with South Korea, we cannot do it alone as far as I know, and better SK will keep being the senior partner while we can develop Wingman Stealth drone by ourselves

About the next development, actually the agreement can be amended like for instant if we increase the stake in developing the block 2 and block 3. Current agreement is not sticky, it can be amended. Hoping we will have new President that is ambitious enough in our own local defense industry program in next election.

So current agreement is based on that 80 % : 20 % stake of SK and Indonesia. If Indonesia add more stake for the next block development, it is very possible to have more favorable agreement like for instant having the shared IP right so we can develop ourselves, but I think better we focus on Wingman Stealth drone for future program and maybe R 80 civilian plane and keep being junior partner in KF21/IFX program.

Actually KF21/IFX tandem seat is also developed due to the demand of Indonesian Air Force.

About the export license for IFX ( means building whole plane in Bandung for export market ), better wait for sometime, the new agreement hasnt finished yet, but for sure we have already been part of supply chain for parts and could be regional MRO as well.

Last edited:

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
We dont need export license for building whole plane in my opinion, since I expect the number being order for our need will be quite many, let alone wingman drone program if we decide to develop it which is very possible. We will likely be very busy in supplying our Air Force demand and not to mention other program like N 219, Elang Hitam drone, and I think possible join development of R80 civilian plane with PT RAI and also cargo drone for civilian/military.

After MEF, the plan is to set up EF (Essential Force). Even MEF hasnt been completed

NEKO

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
3 2,506
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
I believe we are obliged to buy block 1.

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Avionics maintenance, integration, bla, bla already been done even by Air Force technic squadron like for F16 squadron, let alone the engineering process in our F 16 MLU program where PTDI engineers and technicians are also involved.

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
So we are going to modernize the rest of the C-130 fleet? Does that also mean increasing their flight hours? extending their service?

The modernization I believe will be quite the same like current program in GMF Aero Asia, avionics modernization and CWB replacement

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom