Indonesia Indonesian Air Force, Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Udara (TNI-AU)

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,781
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
That is way too expensive.. I remember I read once that F15-EX with all the best features would have a price tag of around 130 million USD per fighter jet.
Yeah but that was USAF price where F15 infrastructure and mechanics already well established. Not like here where Eagle is the whole new species for our Air Force.

Also because of some laws here, we have to get some offset.

Lordimperator

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
1 2,449
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
That is way too expensive.. I remember I read once that F15-EX with all the best features would have a price tag of around 130 million USD per fighter jet.
latest F15 export variants for references

F15ID dsca
36 F15 + support & spareparts for 13.9 bil

Last edited:

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,383
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
latest F15 export variants for references
The 36 fighters were the F15QA version and the deal was 6.2 billion USD. Currently, the US has not exported the EX version however there is interest from several nations including Israel, and Indonesia.
Yeah but that was USAF price where F15 infrastructure and mechanics already well established. Not like here where Eagle is the whole new species for our Air Force.

Also some laws here we have to get some offset.
Actually, the prices ranged from 80-130 million based on the configuration of the plane. Hopefully, Indonesia can make a sweet deal that would not overburden the budget. If the deal would cost 200 million+ per plane then it would be better just to add more F4 Rafaele fighter jets honestly..

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,781
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
The 36 fighters were the F15QA version and the deal was 6.2 billion USD. Currently, the US has not exported the EX version however there is interest from several nations including Israel, and Indonesia.

Actually, the prices ranged from 80-130 million based on the configuration of the plane. Hopefully, Indonesia can make a sweet deal that would not overburden the budget. If the deal would cost 200 million+ per plane then it would be better just to add more F4 Rafaele fighter jets honestly..
Regional tension (especially around South China sea) becoming hotter and hotter these days. Indonesia needs big stick and good relations with Super powers. We also need to balance our trading with US.

Eagles will smooth things up

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,383
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
Regional tension (especially around South China sea) becoming hotter and hotter these days. Indonesia needs big stick and good relations with Super powers. We also need to balance our trading with US.

Eagles will smooth things up
If that's the case then it would be perhaps better to add two more squadrons of the Vipers to compliment the existing 33 F16s that Indonesia possesses. Indonesia already went for 42 twin-engine fighters of the F4. If the EX price would be that much then it would be perhaps more wise to add more F4 on top of the 42.

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,781
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
If that's the case then it would be perhaps better to add two more squadrons of the Vipers to compliment the existing 33 F16s that Indonesia possesses. Indonesia already went for 42 twin-engine fighters of the F4. If the EX price would be that much then it would be perhaps more wise to add more F4 on top of the 42.
I don't know, Rafale seems doesn't look like long leg heavy hitter fighter like Eagle or our current Flanker.

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,383
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
I don't know, Rafale seems doesn't look like long leg heavy hitter fighter like Eagle or our current Flanker.
I'm not claiming that the F4 is superior to the EX however it's a twin-engine fighter with a good amount of range and payload. Basically, it serves the same mission profile..

Ravager

Contributor
Reactions
3 1,148
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
I'm not claiming that the F4 is superior to the EX however it's a twin-engine fighter with a good amount of range and payload. Basically, it serves the same mission profile..
Hedging between 2 of most prominent western power . It's the lament of midling power ...

Truthfully i prefer F-16 . But , we could manage the air patrol workhorse with a cheaper alternative aka FA 50 ..

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,383
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
Hedging between 2 of most prominent western power . It's the lament of midling power ...

Truthfully i prefer F-16 . But , we could manage the air patrol workhorse with a cheaper alternative aka FA 50 ..
Indeed I would go for the EX over the F4 however Indonesia has already procured the F4. Upgrading the current F16 to block 70/72, while adding more f16 would be ideal. Later more F4 can get procured if the Indonesian leadership found it feasible.

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,019
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Indeed I would go for the EX over the F4 however Indonesia has already procured the F4. Upgrading the current F16 to block 70/72, while adding more f16 would be ideal. Later more F4 can get procured if the Indonesian leadership found it feasible.

What if, what if, we exercise all of the option on the table

Taking the EX, taking the Viper, upgraded all of the Falcon and while waiting for the Rafale order coming home and the Boramae development program is finished. Because what i can see there is big chance that's what would be happened

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,383
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
What if, what if, we exercise all of the option on the table

Taking the EX, taking the Viper, upgraded all of the Falcon and while waiting for the Rafale order coming home and the Boramae development program is finished. Because what i can see there is big chance that's what would be happened
Logistical nightmare... That's also of course one of the options, and it seems to me that the leadership is heading this way. I have not followed the development in the news regarding Indonesia however I know that the leadership loves diversification. The F16 and the EX could use the same engines so that's less of a logistical nightmare. Imagine if Indonesia procured the F15-EX, as well as the KF-2, Indonesia would be having 3 different twin-engine fighter jets.

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,019
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Logistical nightmare... That's also of course one of the options, and it seems to me that the leadership is heading this way. I have not followed the development in the news regarding Indonesia however I know that the leadership loves diversification. The F16 and the EX could use the same engines so that's less of a logistical nightmare. Imagine if Indonesia procured the F15-EX, as well as the KF-2, Indonesia would be having 3 different twin-engine fighter jets.

Not to mention they are actually has put the budget to modernizing the Flanker fleet buying new munition for them, and also the Mirage 2000 LoL

🤣🤣🤣

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,383
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
Need to balance it out.
Our past experience teach us to have diversification but it will be accompanied by logistical nightmare.

Bruh.
Very similar to the Moroccan approach that we learned from past experiences. Understandable that Indonesia is operating fighter jets from the US, France, South Korea, and Russia.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom