Indonesia Indonesian Army,Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Darat (TNI-AD)

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,020
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
No, it is used purely for communication with satellite, no direction finding capabilities. You need the one that the Marine uses:
WhatsApp-Image-2021-04-10-at-05.57.00.jpeg

Yes, basic SIGINT/ELINT/COMINT course, there are reason radio silence or Emissions Control (EMCON) is a thing in modern warfare.

That's a nice stuff indeed, btw got a nice new MRAP?

Van Kravchenko

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
2 872
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Cri in can't we stick with only a few platforms only. Our military is starting to look like a showroom!
Can someone PLEASE make list about Armored Car in Indonesian Inventory ?, i think i'm missing something in my notes a while ago while wathcing 🇺🇦🇷🇺 war. 🤔

HellFireIndo

Committed member
Reactions
Some months ago I went into a debate with a guy on Reddit. I argued that deploying MRAP to Papua is a good idea, considering the KKB tends to use cowardly ambush tactics. In such a confusing situation with limited situational awareness, even stray bullets can potentially be fatal, and firefights with small arms are ineffective (firing blind).

So having an armored vehicle heavier than frickin unarmored Toyota Hilux, but lighter than Anoa, may serve well in Papua. But the guy disagrees saying that MRAP is "too heavy". "Wth too heavy?" but then he clarifies by saying he meant the truck-sized MRAP. Well of course that's not what we need there, what we need there is the kind of Bushmaster and Oshkosh MRAP, equipped with a remote-controlled turret. The dishonorable KKB has no counter against this and it will be better than the current SOP of having simple unarmored Infantry doing all the jobs. Oh, and their deployment can also be supplemented with UAV helping with recon or perhaps also dumping some sari bahari on em.

What do you guys think? perhaps you guys have some opinion?

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,865
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Some months ago I went into a debate with a guy on Reddit. I argued that deploying MRAP to Papua is a good idea, considering the KKB tends to use cowardly ambush tactics. In such a confusing situation with limited situational awareness, even stray bullets can potentially be fatal, and firefights with small arms are ineffective (firing blind).

So having an armored vehicle heavier than frickin unarmored Toyota Hilux, but lighter than Anoa, may serve well in Papua. But the guy disagrees saying that MRAP is "too heavy". "Wth too heavy?" but then he clarifies by saying he meant the truck-sized MRAP. Well of course that's not what we need there, what we need there is the kind of Bushmaster and Oshkosh MRAP, equipped with a remote-controlled turret. The dishonorable KKB has no counter against this and it will be better than the current SOP of having simple unarmored Infantry doing all the jobs. Oh, and their deployment can also be supplemented with UAV helping with recon or perhaps also dumping some sari bahari on em.

Can MRAP deployment in papua maintainable?
Isn't something like that kind of fuel hungry?

NEKO

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
3 2,571
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

Use armored maung or armored ATAV, nimble and give enough protection.
Is there a need to use "Mine Resistant"? Is there threat of land mine and IED?

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,636
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

I think even Bushmaster will be cumbersome in Papua's mountainous terrain. At most, something with a size closer to Oshkosh M-ATV, or (heavily modified/armored) Pindad Komodo will be a much better option.

this is crunch

Contributor
Reactions
4 633
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

I definitely agree that we should have armored protected vehicle in Papua, but i think instead of MRAP, we should go with APC instead, those KKB doesn't play like Taliban in Afghanistan with IED stuffs, Komodo APC is sure enough.

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,636
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
I definitely agree that we should have armored protected vehicle in Papua, but i think instead of MRAP, we should go with APC instead, those KKB doesn't play like Taliban in Afghanistan with IED stuffs, Komodo APC is sure enough.
On the other hand, I kind of -probably- see @HellFireIndo 's perspective. He might think that in order to prepare something akin to escalation of conflict, which might also include IED and stuffs, we better have some mine-resistant armored vehicles there.

this is crunch

Contributor
Reactions
4 633
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
On the other hand, I kind of -probably- see @HellFireIndo 's perspective. He might think that in order to prepare something akin to escalation of conflict, which might also include IED and stuffs, we better have some mine-resistant armored vehicles there.
I am not againts it anyway, but the current situation haven't reach that level. Preparing something is good, but if we over-preparing that doesn't really in needs of that way, it will only add burden for us

Last edited:

NEKO

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
3 2,571
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
SUV is very lovable and preferred in Papua because of the terrain, using SUV is practical to be used to move back and forth for daily use its better compared to APC. Maung is basically just Hilux (SUV which is nice), modify current maung and replace the glass with bullet proof glass, put add on steel plate at important place like doors etc (or just make the whole body bullet proof).

this is crunch

Contributor
Reactions
4 633
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
SUV is very lovable and preferred in Papua because of the terrain, using SUV is practical to be used to move back and forth for daily use its better compared to APC. Maung is basically just Hilux (SUV which is nice), modify current maung and replace the glass with bullet proof glass, put add on steel plate at important place like doors etc (or just make the whole body bullet proof).
Right, i was forgot that we have Maung earlier. From daily operational perspective Maung is the best option for operation in Papua. Maung is based on civillian SUV, means that we don't need to worry in the matter of maintenance, i believe local technician and car dealer can handle it

HellFireIndo

Committed member
Reactions
Can MRAP deployment in papua maintainable?
Isn't something like that kind of fuel hungry?
That's the matter of logistics. If we take fuel consumption as a limiting factor, our current approach to mobility in Papua; helicopter, technically making operational costs there much higher anyway. So on the ground, the troops use civilian-grade vehicles, but the alternative solution is airlift, which is more expensive and uses more specialized fuel. Both "combination" makes the casualty rate higher and at the same time, operational cost remain high.
Use armored maung or armored ATAV, nimble and give enough protection.
Is there a need to use "Mine Resistant"? Is there threat of land mine and IED?
I think even Bushmaster will be cumbersome in Papua's mountainous terrain. At most, something with a size closer to Oshkosh M-ATV, or (heavily modified/armored) Pindad Komodo will be a much better option.
I personally prefer Komodo to ATAV or Maung. The latter seems to be too lightly armored and obviously prioritize weight reduction and mobility, rather than protection. "Protection" is the main take here, light or no armor vehicles are a ripe target for an ambush, and even if the rebels are completely incompetent, one or two lucky shots are enough to kill or wound personnel. Also having RCWS is important, as to not expose the troops to gunfire, and having an electronic weapon system is preferable to using the naked eye (ATAV or Maung is not optimized for this).
The idea is protection in general while having an IED-resistant profile is a bonus. Because it seems like the trend is that all armored vehicles nowadays must be IED-resistant, hence the craze with V-shaped hulls and such. Currently, KKB only ever used raiding tactics, they haven't adopted explosives yet (though not impossible to happen someday). My main concern is the risk the troops experience during an ambush, civilian SUVs cannot protect against this and they must fight on an equal footing with KKB (which is a preventable situation).
That's the problem with the so-called "logistics dictates strategy". We are concerned with one logistical difficulty and end up taking more avoidable risks because of it. SUV is used because the user simply thinks "vehicle is for moving stuff around", hence neglecting other aspects, namely military effectiveness. As for Maung, I think they haven't released the armor profile yet, so I am not sure of their protection. Though compared to Komodo they are lighter and have a longer range, perhaps also simpler logistics, but of course, less capable in combat.

Last edited:

Van Kravchenko

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
2 872
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
View attachment 41307

This stuff will do good, all round protection against 7,62x51 mm is at best, no need for RCWS. just install radar fire locator plus MG for sustained saturation fire.

Most of case when solduers died in Papua is cos they were ambushed with no access to cover nor can return fire. Trust me, soldiers there in desperate need of good gun and optics. Bringing autocannon there also overkill

HellFireIndo

Committed member
Reactions
no need for RCWS. just install radar fire locator plus MG for sustained saturation fire
Well, fire locators need to be coupled with RCWS to be an effective combo. I mean if a fire locator is used but weapon system is not, that will be a waste of capability. Like these stuff are electronic, they are more effective when paired, so why use a machine to detect gunfire, but using manual eye to aim and shoot the weapon lmao. I mean RCWS like this one:
1647877103505.png

Hardly overkill, but definitely credible defense
Most of case when solduers died in Papua is cos they were ambushed with no access to cover nor can return fire. Trust me, soldiers there in desperate need of good gun and optics. Bringing autocannon there also overkill
Which is why rather than exposing themselves to gunfire with no cover due to using an unarmored civilian truck, why not deploy gunfire-resistant and fully protected armored vehicles instead. I mean both the personnel AND the vehicle need to be armored, well armed, and equipped with optics, all of them are essential.

NEKO

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
3 2,571
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Where our BUMN and non BUMN company get those steel plate for armored vehicle? Import or local product?

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom