Indonesia Indonesian Army,Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Darat (TNI-AD)

Lordimperator

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
1 2,542
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Western European countries are starting to ramp up their militaries, there won't be much chance for another Leo 2 garage sale if ever.
How about K2 like the Poland did? If the Euro industries focused for their own militaries. Anyway, how long before Altay went mass produced after getting Korean engine?

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,634
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
How about K2 like the Poland did? If the Euro industries focused for their own militaries. Anyway, how long before Altay went mass produced after getting Korean engine?
K2 or Altay may be better although they will be a lot more expensive, I reckon. The latter will probably enter mass production next year.

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,634
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Erm speaking about MBT, considering that Japan has recently loosen their arms export restriction, and that it is now offering to assist the Philippines to build their own defense industry, their Type 10 MBT might be worth to add as another possible candidate as well.

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,854
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Without knowing the full extent of that 'leak', while I do see the the purpose of having at least one MBT division in each Indonesian major islands, it's hard to really understand why we should acquire MBTs from another country.

Chance for another rounds of 'shopping', perhaps? /s

While we're at it, how about prioritizing to expand Pindad's production facility and finalize a contract to acquire a large number of Harimau so they can make more of it in the shortest amount of time instead? I think a 4:1 ratio of modern medium tank to MBT will be ideal for us.

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,634
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
It didn't really answer why we should acquire other than Leopard 2 MBTs.

Anyway, if we use the provided metrics as a benchmark, our current total strength of MBT is still less than one-third of the minimum amount required. Can you imagine the whole mess if, say, the army decides to acquire 100 Leclerc with another 100 K2? Granted, our TNI has already been like a showroom for God knows how long, but to add more complexity to the already overburdened logistics is simply ridiculous.

If they really want to expand our capability in this regard, they can either: a. Prioritize Harimau acquisition to several hundred first or, b. Do not "ngeteng". Want another MBT than Leo 2? Fine, as long as we put an order of at least 300 MBTs at once.

By that, not only that we can lessen the logistical impact compared to earlier scenario (although probably not that much), but we can negotiate for a "true" ToT and/or joint production as well.

Jagdflieger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Germany
ahh, I forgot this, that Stukas with their bombs and freckin 37mm cannon are scary hell to disable tanks and to keep adversaries duck down. today we can have it in air cavalry mode.

I think they misplace the aircraft and missile intended to do wild weasel mission.
I don't want to unnecessarily hack, or smart-talk onto your post - but air cavalry or Stuka's do not provide air-superiority.
As for Blitzkrieg or e.g. Operation Desert-Storm the fighters, cruise-missiles/missiles and bombers take out the air-defense and and the adversaries air-force. Preferably as in Blitzkrieg or ODS 70-80% of the enemies aircraft are destroyed on the ground.

Therefore air-superiority is achieved - only then the ground forces supported by e.g. Stuka's and the rest of the Luftwaffe or air-cavalry (rather ATH) incl. the airforce assets move in. To ensure minimal losses on one's own side and to defeat the enemy with certainty.

Therefore in regards to the heavy artillery or MBT Indonesian discussion IMO, try to get a capable air-force and missile-force first ;)

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,634
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Therefore in regards to the heavy artillery or MBT Indonesian discussion IMO, try to get a capable air-force and missile-force first ;)
One of the downsides of having always prioritized the Army in an archipelagic country at least until the last 20 years or so.

Many people here are still barking whenever they see the proposed budget for aircraft acquisition especially combat types for TNI-AU. Some even still have the mindset of "guerilla warfare is our ultimate weapon" by pointing out that even major powers like the British, Soviet Union and the US can not defeat Afghan guerillas. Heck, some even still think that we can just throw thousand upon thousand of able-bodied men to the frontlines as if the enemies capable to invade us do not have cluster or thermobaric bombs - much less nuclear - in their arsenal.

Missile force? MLRS? Tactical Ballistic?
All kind of them: AAM, SAM, cruise, tactical ballistic, et cetera.

Jagdflieger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Germany
Well in this case i am gratefull with the latest Indo MinDef to acquire sophisticated Aircraft from the available options, such as Rafale.

Missile force? MLRS? Tactical Ballistic?
More like Cruise-missiles and BVR - as for the fighter force to be considered effective and maintainable Indonesia would need at least 14-18 squadrons and not consisting of more then 2 types. Okay so a Rafale could be considered as a start in the right direction. :)

NEKO

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
3 2,526
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Erm speaking about MBT, considering that Japan has recently loosen their arms export restriction, and that it is now offering to assist the Philippines to build their own defense industry, their Type 10 MBT might be worth to add as another possible candidate as well.

I wonder to what extents they are willing to offer assistance to Philippine, and I think maybe they are willing to offer more with us considering many factors.

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,634
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
for the fighter force to be considered effective and maintainable Indonesia would need at least 14-18 squadrons
Not too far off from my own calculation some years back. It's unscientific, but I did that by comparing the airspace area per number of combat aircraft between ASEAN nations and found that Indonesia is severely lacking since an Indonesian combat aircraft has to cover much more airspace compared to, say, Vietnam.

IIRC, I've got around 250-300 combat aircraft as the real minimum essential number to be able to effectively cover Indonesian airspace.
and not consisting of more then 2 types
...oops.
Okay so a Rafale could be considered as a start in the right direction.
Hopefully.
Let see: Khan TBM from Turkiye, SAM : any rumour? KM Sam Korean or Turkish Hisar?
No other rumors yet. But I have a hunch that SAMP/T Aster 30 will be chosen - don't ask me why.
I wonder to what extents they are willing to offer assistance to Philippine, and I think maybe they are willing to offer more with us considering many factors.
This will answer your question:

"Tokyo is offering to help Manila develop its own armored vehicles, ammunition and satellites, among others, through a collaboration between and among Japanese and Philippine companies, the source said."
As for us, it's probably a bit tricky for them since they're likely don't want to appear too obvious and since we already have our own defense industries up and running albeit with, well, you know...

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,854
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Want more MBT but too hard to get support?
How about get this turret:
Squeeze it inside Harimau hull and call it "MBT anak bangsa".

Lordimperator

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
1 2,542
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Want more MBT but too hard to get support?
How about get this turret:
Squeeze it inside Harimau hull and call it "MBT anak bangsa".
Hitfact with 120mm high pressure, is it using the ammo with Nato 120mm

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom