Indonesia Indonesian Navy, Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Laut (TNI-AL)

Lordimperator

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
1 2,542
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Not related to ALRI but its quite interesting

Using the AH140 hull provides platform commonality with other navies, potentially reducing supply chain, training and maintenance costs. The RN-chaired AH140 user group is also on offer for customers who would benefit from the sharing experience of the UK, Polish, Indonesian and Danish operators.

The MNP has had some substantial modifications including increasing the length by 2m and reducing the size of the flight deck to provide increased hangar space for up to two Merlin-sized helicopters. Internally the enlarged hangar connects to the mission bay which now occupies the entire width of the vessel with a similar layout to the Type 26 frigate. Under the flight deck, the existing mission bay (a feature of the original Arrowhead and Type 31) has been expanded into a mission deck with access to a stern rap for the launch and recovery of small boats.

Type 32 candidate, developed from Type 31 Babcock which they move the vls to the front, the 2nd level deck behind the naval gun. And trade the middle VLS with RHIB hanggar. Also they will increasing the length by 2 meters, which similiar with the rumoured Merah Putih length advised by Babcock.

This make me wondering what will be Frigate Merah Putih VLS emplacement. Its indicated the 2nd level could atleast fitted with 16 mk41 after the Babcock modification.

Last edited:

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,410
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
It might work in malaka, sunda, and bali strait
A truck based missile launcher would deliver the same with a lot less cost for the platform. Navy is very material intensive. The idea to achieve more with less doesn't work with a navy. Larger, more sophisticated navy almost always win.

Sad development from my perspective if they chose the path. This is the kind of wannabe naval power like Iran tries to 'boost' its naval power, cheap and plenty, effectiveness questionable in war.

Lordimperator

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
1 2,542
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
A truck based missile launcher would deliver the same with a lot less cost for the platform. Navy is very material intensive. The idea to achieve more with less doesn't work with a navy. Larger, more sophisticated navy almost always win.

Sad development from my perspective if they chose the path. This is the kind of wannabe naval power like Iran tries to 'boost' its naval power, cheap and plenty, effectiveness questionable in war.
dont forget the GFP part...

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,410
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

Type 32 candidate, developed from Type 31 Babcock which they move the vls to the front, the 2nd level deck behind the naval gun. And trade the middle VLS with RHIB hanggar. Also they will increasing the length by 2 meters, which similiar with the rumoured Merah Putih length advised by Babcock.

This make me wondering what will be Frigate Merah Putih VLS emplacement. Its indicated the 2nd level could atleast fitted with 16 mk41 after the Babcock modification.
I have no numbers to justify what I'm going to write, but from the look of it, a whole VLS cells positioned on the front doesn't seems likely to hold 40 VLS like we planned.

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,854
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
I have no numbers to justify what I'm going to write, but from the look of it, a whole VLS cells positioned on the front doesn't seems likely to hold 40 VLS like we planned.
Didn't they decide to put less VLS?

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,854
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

Van Kravchenko

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
2 872
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Hehh, what's the point of this ? Easy prey from air attack even from shipborne helicopter

We're getting more and more into IRGC navy style whatever...not ideal
Not ideal, but if you a good general you will know where your pawns must be place.

We war with what we have, not with what we want.

As for Indo-Pak war of 1971 pack of missile boat were relevant since no formidable tech as today. But if you remove the human from the boat change it with robot and installed it with missile (let say the boat is mere cheap boat with task to deliver missile; don't expect them to RTB) it will be a sophisticated stuff if it employed in pack that can salvo an adversary vessel.

BUT, if what you talking is 'bout 🇮🇩 navy and strategy to update them, yes big boats are a must for military posturing.

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,854
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

More pic
16 VLS on the front

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,020
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
A look into what NG offers to Philippines

When is our MoD announcing submarine winner?

In Paris yesterday, beside MoD who visit in the first day, the other ones who met French DGA is Baranahan chief (officer who responsible for defense deals) and other related high officer within MoD, i don't be surprised if they already signing some unnannounced contract
WhatsApp-Image-2023-06-26-at-08.54.14.jpeg
WhatsApp-Image-2023-06-26-at-08.54.10-1.jpeg
WhatsApp-Image-2023-06-26-at-08.54.13.jpeg
WhatsApp-Image-2023-06-26-at-08.54.11.jpeg
WhatsApp-Image-2023-06-26-at-08.54.10.jpeg

Qimpetmleteque

Reactions
1 42
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
In Paris yesterday, beside MoD who visit in the first day, the other ones who met French DGA is Baranahan chief (officer who responsible for defense deals) and other related high officer within MoD, i don't be surprised if they already signing some unnannounced contract

In Kak Wowo's presentation at Lemdiklat Polri two weeks ago, Indonesia planned to have 2 attack subs and 7 tactical subs. Currently Indonesia has 4 active subs, if the contract has been signed then 2 Scorpene will be added.

Where will the additional 3 subs be acquired from? CBG batch 2 or TKMS?

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,410
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
I hope they go forward with the purchase of 4 full size Scorpene and minimize or cancel outright midget sub program.

What we need is a large submarine able to operate for a very long time at sea, without having to return for more fuel or torpedo. I hope in the future the option to build and operate nuclear attack submarine is considered. Australia will have one, we also need to have one.

Qimpetmleteque

Reactions
1 42
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
I hope they go forward with the purchase of 4 full size Scorpene and minimize or cancel outright midget sub program.

What we need is a large submarine able to operate for a very long time at sea, without having to return for more fuel or torpedo. I hope in the future the option to build and operate nuclear attack submarine is considered. Australia will have one, we also need to have one.

What about time constraint? From 1 vendor then the risk is slower aquisition time, or 2 vendors to make it faster?

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,410
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
What about time constraint? From 1 vendor then the risk is slower aquisition time, or 2 vendors to make it faster?

My concern is not about TKMS vs NG, my concern is our plan for midget submarine, which I'm not a fan of, if possible I want the navy to have 2 Scorpene + 2 U214 or 4 Scorpene followed by an even larger class of attack submarine (preferrably nuclear powered), while cancelling plans for 7 (?) midget sub.

What we need is large submarines able to stay submerged for long, travel far and fast, dive deep and lots of magazine, something not possible with midget sub.

Qimpetmleteque

Reactions
1 42
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
My concern is not about TKMS vs NG, my concern is our plan for midget submarine, which I'm not a fan of, if possible I want the navy to have 2 Scorpene + 2 U214 or 4 Scorpene followed by an even larger class of attack submarine (preferrably nuclear powered), while cancelling plans for 7 (?) midget sub.

What we need is large submarines able to stay submerged for long, travel far and fast, dive deep and lots of magazine, something not possible with midget sub.

Kak Wowo's plan is that Indonesia has 9 large subs, 2 attack subs and 7 'tactical' subs. (min 1:13:35). Excl midget. CMIIW.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,410
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Kak Wowo's plan is that Indonesia has 9 large subs, 2 attack subs and 7 'tactical' subs. (min 1:13:35). Excl midget. CMIIW.
My bad then, when I read 'tactical' vs 'attack', my understanding is 'tactical' is referring to a smaller class of sub.

There's been some clues lately pointing that we're trying to have midget sub.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom