Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
View attachment 52273
Elta of Israel helped KFX in the HW Proof System process. At that time(16~19), Korea was not sure of the technical completeness of making AESA radar for fighter jets with our own hands. The Agency for Defense Development and Hanwha developed the AESA Radar HW Proof and tested our technology by leasing Elta's radar power supply and experimental facilities. As a result of the test, the technical level of the AESA radar was sufficient for Korea's own development. Simply put, it helped us test the completeness of our radar technology. Elta's role is that much. Neither HW nor SW was involved.

There use to be information regarding S.Korea TR modules being miniaturised over period of time, I can not locate that information anymore would you happen to have that information at hand?

urban mine

Committed member
Reactions
10 415
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
There use to be information regarding S.Korea TR modules being miniaturised over period of time, I can not locate that information anymore would you happen to have that information at hand?
스크린샷,_2020-08-14_14-47-47.png

I think it will be applied in Block 2.

Chocopie

Contributor
South Korea Correspondent
Reactions
31 1,914
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
There‘s also a second AESA radar development in Korea. The LASER-A by LIG Nex1 (Hanwha AESA radar prototype was preferred in 2017 for KF-21) is privately continued.

5283B4E5-661E-4C9F-BE72-402AA2FB4FDB.jpeg

PS: ELTA officials were reportedly impressed with results of aerial testing, especially of Hanwha‘s superb T/R modules and hardware quality.

Ecderha

Experienced member
Reactions
4 7,723
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
I have read that it consists of 1,088 T/R modules.

It's Korean, but it would be good to translate it into English.

I used the real picture which you provided.
and

1673108367832.png

Green 4+4, Blue 4+4 , Red 24 lines . Grey 8 section with each section have 2 segments -> 40 * (8*2) = 640
+
Blue 4+4, Red 24 lines. Orange 2 + 2 section with each have 2 segments -> 32 * ( (2+2) *2 ) = 256
+
Red 24 lines. Purple 1 section with 2 segments -> 24 * ( (1+1) * 2 ) = 96

Total 992 :) just my 5 cents about picture

Chocopie

Contributor
Reactions
31 1,914
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
I used the real picture which you provided.
and

View attachment 52279

Green 4+4, Blue 4+4 , Red 24 lines . Grey 8 section with each section have 2 segments -> 40 * (8*2) = 640
+
Blue 4+4, Red 24 lines. Orange 2 + 2 section with each have 2 segments -> 32 * ( (2+2) *2 ) = 256
+
Red 24 lines. Purple 1 section with 2 segments -> 24 * ( (1+1) * 2 ) = 96

Total 992 :) just my 5 cents about picture
Your eagle eyes have precisely counted the no. right: 992! But the picture is from an older pre-prototype model (HW input test in 2018).

The actual mounted prototype has 1,088 T/R modules of finest high quality, but that's not the end of it:

"The AESA radar, which will be installed and tested on the KF-X from 2023, will be 20% larger than it is now and the number of modules will increase that much, according to savvy sources. This means that the number of modules can reach more than 1,200. This is similar to the F-35. Dozens of targets can also be tracked at the same time."

68387439-3DB2-4265-92F3-1F418B9C38D8.jpeg

Source: https://m.blog.naver.com/beatleslike/221829910634

Please read the original source from above:

Hanwha AESA radar prototype in 2020:

7E1A64F1-EA66-463D-84EC-EEF02A97F0C2.jpeg

D2F9C5EC-8E5D-4C28-A82C-699E7CEB14CF.jpeg

Last edited:

urban mine

Committed member
Reactions
10 415
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
supersonic flight this month

Does it still gonna has that pitot-like-thingy in its radome in supersonic flight test?
View attachment 52425
The pitot tube will not be removed before the end of the Testing of the Aerodynamic Characteristics.

I don't think the related test has been completed yet.

Windchime

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,271
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea
View attachment 52274

I think it will be applied in Block 2.
He's probably talking about Korean MMIC and T/R module development and miniaturisation from 2006 till now. I unfortunately can't find a picture of it.

Your eagle eyes have precisely counted the no. right: 992! But the picture is from an older pre-prototype model (HW input test in 2018).

The actual mounted prototype has 1,088 T/R modules of finest high quality, but that's not the end of it:

"The AESA radar, which will be installed and tested on the KF-X from 2023, will be 20% larger than it is now and the number of modules will increase that much, according to savvy sources. This means that the number of modules can reach more than 1,200. This is similar to the F-35. Dozens of targets can also be tracked at the same time."

View attachment 52280

Source: https://m.blog.naver.com/beatleslike/221829910634

Please read the original source from above:

Hanwha AESA radar prototype in 2020:

View attachment 52285

View attachment 52286
That Bemil report has been proven multiple time to be wrong. KF-21 block 1 AESA will have 1088 T/R modules and that's final.

Windchime

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,271
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea
For next blocks too ?
T/R module counts probably wouldn't change in block 2 but there's a possibility that the newer, more powerful T/R module will be used. Current Korean MMIC has a peak output of 15W. Though that's not a given since Block 2 is only 2 years apart from Block 1 and is mainly a software upgrade.

Korean Air Force is envisioning some major upgrades in Block 3 (basic outlines of the Block 3 plan has been lately revealed) which includes a radar upgrade.

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,779
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
since Block 2 is only 2 years apart from Block 1 and is mainly a software upgrade.
If block 1 and 2 are so similar, it is easy to upgrade block 1 to block 2 then?

urban mine

Committed member
Reactions
10 415
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
He's probably talking about Korean MMIC and T/R module development and miniaturisation from 2006 till now. I unfortunately can't find a picture of it.
You are right. I misunderstood his question.

A study from 2006 to 2009(T/R Module Development for X-Band Active Phased-Array Radar) led to the creation of Korea's first Active Phased Array Antenna.
핵심응용개발과제.jpg
화면 캡처 2023-01-10 204311.jpg
화면 캡처 2023-01-10 203205.jpg

I forgot that there was a series of history.

Last edited:

Chocopie

Contributor
Reactions
31 1,914
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
That Bemil report has been proven multiple time to be wrong. KF-21 block 1 AESA will have 1088 T/R modules and that's final.
Oops, than I stand corrected 😅, missed that part. Last time I heard a Hanwha official verbally confirmed „definitely over 1,000“ whatever that means. All the T/R module number counts are educated guestimates, we don‘t know for sure what’s under the black cover.

Last edited:

Windchime

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,271
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea
If block 1 and 2 are so similar, it is easy to upgrade block 1 to block 2 then?
That exactly is the plan. All block 1 aircrafts will be upgraded to block 2 as soon as it's developed. To quote KAI engineers, "almost every hardware for block 2 are already in place. The difference is getting the softwares in place and certifying them for use".

You are right. I misunderstood his question.

A study from 2006 to 2009(T/R Module Development for X-Band Active Phased-Array Radar) led to the creation of Korea's first Active Phased Array Antenna.
View attachment 52428 View attachment 52430 View attachment 52429

I forgot that there was a series of history.
The image I'm talking about is of direct comparison of Korean X-band T/R modules from 2006 until now developed for the airborne AESA development program, to scale. It provides a very good perspective on how far Korean AESA development matured and how smaller the T/R modules have become over time. I've searched on google based on few key words but that image seems lost. Will be great to find it.

urban mine

Committed member
Reactions
10 415
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
The image I'm talking about is of direct comparison of Korean X-band T/R modules from 2006 until now developed for the airborne AESA development program, to scale. It provides a very good perspective on how far Korean AESA development matured and how smaller the T/R modules have become over time. I've searched on google based on few key words but that image seems lost. Will be great to find it.
It's a useful image according to your explanation. But I can't find it. Ha ha.

Baryshx

Contributor
Reactions
8 2,026
Website
www.twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
With very little material, Haci Productions stitched together a KF-21 montage and posted on Youtube. As we see more footage of the Korean aircraft we'll get more epic edits. For instance, the channel's Rafale montage is to die for imo.

I see Indians even in the comments under this video. The same thing happens with the TF-X videos. According to them, all airplanes are bad copies and supported by foreign countries, only their own airplanes are original and made with domestic facilities.

Chocopie

Contributor
Reactions
31 1,914
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
I see Indians even in the comments under this video. The same thing happens with the TF-X videos. According to them, all airplanes are bad copies and supported by foreign countries, only their own airplanes are original and made with domestic facilities.
Couldn‘t care less, what some random dudes have to say about KF-21 on the internet. Last time I checked, Indians love to buy Korean cars, smartphones, TVs, home appliances, cosmetics … and K9s. Many also enjoy Korean dramas, TV shows and Kpop.

That‘s a positive thing and therefore I salute our beloved Indian consumers 😁

Tsenal

Committed member
Reactions
1 714
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I have a question for our Korean members. What kind of material is used on the skin of the aircraft? Does it use CFRP composites with radar absorbent qualities like the F-35 or metals like aluminium, steel, titanium?

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,907
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
I have a question for our Korean members. What kind of material is used on the skin of the aircraft? Does it use CFRP composites with radar absorbent qualities like the F-35 or metals like aluminium, steel, titanium?
Wasn't it aluminium?

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom