DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,385
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Common fallacy in our circles. Weapons systems don’t win wars. Doctrines, training, CONOPS and logistics do. There’s also nothing preventing from what happened over Israel last week occurring again over Aegean where multiple countries shoot down our ballistic missiles and drones in air. US did shoot down our drone over Syria.

Yes, although it is low on the possibility spectrum, but nevertheless a scary thought.
If, let's say, French, German and (God forbid) US AD systems and aircrafts are deployed in similar manner, even only defensively, it would become a completely different scenario all together.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,045
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yes, although it is low on the possibility spectrum, but nevertheless a scary thought.
If, let's say, French, German and (God forbid) US AD systems and aircrafts are deployed in similar manner, even only defensively, it would become a completely different scenario all together.

Thats why I hope Russia and China can be strengthen so the USA and EU are preoccupied with them.

If Turkiye was the only growing power they will use whatever they can to knock Turkiye down.

If Russia and China are knocked out they will come for Turkiye.

Mark my words Turkiye-USA/EU are on a collision course. If NATO had a expel mechanism they would have easily expelled Turkiye.

Since Turkiye is in NATO they cant think of invading or doing anything they can to destabilise the country.

Clash of Civilisations. Seeing China, Russia, EU and the USA all weakening each other and over time become weak is good for the Turks.

BaburKhan

Committed member
Reactions
5 624
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Germany
We need more Satellites and loitering ammunition of various ranges as well. We also need to develop modern methods of delivering clusterbombs.

Any tusle between Turkey and Greece will result in fast interference of Allied nations and they'll only do so if it goes bad for Greece.

I several Posts I mentioned the Importance of SAR Satelittes and high Altitude ISR UAV with SAR POD. It can classify Targets Day and Night, even under cloudy Conditions. If any interference will happen, they will use the Aircraft Carrier. Those Assests who will Support Fighter Jets of an enemy Interference Force like or MPA which will Patrol over the eastern Mediterran, need to be striked.

TurAF need long- Range BVR Missiles for Kaan with a Range up to 400 km, which can Target enemy AWACS, MPA and Tankers. A Missile in Category like the PL-17.

Beside Tayfun ASBM there is a need for a Ramjet powered AShM which can reach Ranges from 500 - 900 km, against well protected Assests.

It's also important to modernize the Equipment of the Allies in Libya, important for them are modern Air Defence and stealthy FAC and light Corvettes. It must be agressivly marketet to them.

In my Opinion we need an A2/AD Strategy like China.

Mis_TR_Like

Contributor
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
25 5,023
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
A component AD network would shoot down extremely slow flying loitering ammunitions as well as subsonic cruise missiles efficiently. Yes, even the stealthy ones. Today's AESA radars are too sensitive to miss them when they appears over the horizon. And modern AD C2 nodes are incredibly fast, automated, and connected to agile Interceptors ready to launch on seconds notice. Also, low cost sustainable solutions against cheap long range loitering ammunition are increasingly becoming available. I.e. radar guided AAA guns, low cost lasers, etc.

People need to let go of this obsession with loitering ammunition as a solution to all context. Yes they are great for localized tactical fight in the land domain, But they aren't gonna have the same effect in a long range air and naval battle that is likely to be fought over the Agean.

I think the right approach is first to understand the TurAF's strategic and operational logic behind the specific procurement push. Once we understand in depth how they are planning to fight the next war, it becomes easier to analize why they are buying what they are buying. And why they are emphasizing on X instead of Y. Otherwise, Just making a long list and saying TurAF needs this and this with this amount and this amount is not very fruitful in the end. Because it is pretty much the case that we often miss the integrated bigger picture that is present in the military decision makers' minds, as well as lots of smalls things that's when put together makes a different picture than that of what we have imagined primarily. Yet we wouldn't notice those small things unless we are specifically pointed to.

Not every country is adequately prepared for all out air defence. Israel really does stand out in this regard. Israel's small land size means that even its shorter range systems cover a large portion of the country. That leaves a lot less opportunities for low flying munitions to slip past. I could only imagine how concentrated the defences are around bases.

We should realise that Greece has one big advantage. Its islands can host short range air defences, including laser and CIWS, blocking attacks across the Aegean.

With all that said, saturation is still one of the most important tactics... and I'm pretty sure TSK has ordered a lot of şimşeks.

images-6.jpeg

One of my concerns when it comes to decoys like Şimşek (which btw doesn't count as a loitering munition) is if the enemy has prior intelligence about them and refuses to shoot them down as it thinks they're not a threat.

It seems that TUSAŞ agrees.

We can only imagine what types of tactics and weapons TSK will use against air defences, but the photo below should give a little sneak peak for what's to come.

3 super advanced weapons and 1 toy 🤫

images-7.jpeg

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,385
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Not every country is adequately prepared for all out air defence. Israel really does stand out in this regard. Israel's small land size means that even its shorter range systems cover a large portion of the country. That leaves a lot less opportunities for low flying munitions to slip past. I could only imagine how concentrated the defences are around bases.

Yes, that is true in case of Israel. But I was only making a general observation.

We should realise that Greece has one big advantage. Its islands can host short range air defences, including laser and CIWS, blocking attacks across the Aegean.

You are right.

With all that said, saturation is still one of the most important tactics... and I'm pretty sure TSK has ordered a lot of şimşeks.

View attachment 67380

One of my concerns when it comes to decoys like Şimşek (which btw doesn't count as a loitering munition) is if the enemy has prior intelligence about them and refuses to shoot them down as it thinks they're not a threat.

It seems that TUSAŞ agrees.

Iirc, Simsek will have advanced feature of mimicking aircraft's radar signature like ADM-160 MALD. Consequently, enemy AD will likely have hard time distinguishing.

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,497
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Within the scope of Confidence Building Measures Between Turkey and Greece, Greek 3rd Mechanized Infantry Brigade Commander Brigadier General Vardis Charkianakis, Greek Defense Attaché Colonel Georgios Bellos and Lieutenant Colonel Georgios Alexopoulos visited our 54th Mechanized Infantry Brigade Command on April 16, 2024.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,589
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Within the scope of Confidence Building Measures Between Turkey and Greece, Greek 3rd Mechanized Infantry Brigade Commander Brigadier General Vardis Charkianakis, Greek Defense Attaché Colonel Georgios Bellos and Lieutenant Colonel Georgios Alexopoulos visited our 54th Mechanized Infantry Brigade Command on April 16, 2024.

"Çarkıyanakis"

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Latest posts

Top Bottom