Siper>MMU

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,194
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
In the MILGEM-5 Project, the Warfare System Contract for the first frigate (Istanbul Class Frigate) to be designed and built nationally and locally was signed and entered into force in 2020. Unlike the systems in the previous MILGEM Corvette Platforms in the project, Illuminator Radar, ALPER Pulsed Type LPI Radar, Extended Band Electronic Warfare Suite, AKREP Fire Control Radar, PIRI Infrared Search and Track System, National Torpedo Launching System, FERSAH Hull Mounted Sonar, GÖKDENİZ Close-In Weapon System, CENK Search Radar, and National IFF System were included in the Configuration.
View attachment 27730
Illuminator radar ?? Don't tell me they are going to use semi active missiles on İ class ?

Normally you need a radar for ciws and another for 76mm gun. But it says an illuminator radar AND Akrep FCR. If we consider Illuminator radar is for ciws or 76mm gun, Akrep itself is for guiding semi active missiles like ESSM B1. I hope I am getting it wrong..

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,686
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Illuminator radars will still have their uses. First of all, we still have ESSM B1 in storage. Secondly, illuminator radar brings some advantages so even if TN won't be using semi-active radar guidance it is understandable that they want illuminator radar on those ships.

Siper>MMU

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,194
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Illuminator radars will still have their uses. First of all, we still have ESSM B1 in storage. Secondly, illuminator radar brings some advantages so even if TN won't be using semi-active radar guidance it is understandable that they want illuminator radar on those ships.
I understand using Akrep or another illuminator radar for Barbaros MLU. But İ class already can't use ESSM, what's the point of using a illuminator radar ?. Hisar missiles and Siper uses IIR or Active RF seekers. Maybe for long range illumination but I don't think because our missiles are not that long ranged to need a continuous illumination.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,686
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Illuminator radar has its own inherent advantages(and disadvantages) so it is a good sensor to have rather than not having. Even if you don't have and won't be using semi-active guided missiles.

Last edited:

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,686
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The US blocked the sale(to the SSB, not MoD) and integration of Turkish missiles to Mk41 VLS. Up to now, there is no known ban to integrate ESSM to Turkish national VLS but that might change quickly.

Abdelaziz

Contributor
Reactions
1 821
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Lebanon
The US blocked the sale(to the SSB, not MoD) and integration of Turkish missiles to Mk41 VLS. Up to now, there is no known ban to integrate ESSM to Turkish national VLS but that might change quickly.
Its obvious that ...the current anti Turkish pro greek,armenian, pkk behaviors .. usa became so unreliable and any strategic project should avoid rely on american products ... Even russia and china currently more reliable

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
E8nv3S-XEAI1kYT_waifu2x_art_noise0_scale_tta_1.png

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Such a beauty. Look at the mast.
Cenk-S rotating type AESA
16x VLS for
8*4=32x Hisar-RF/G-40
8*1=8x Siper
16x Atmaca Block 1/2
Great load.

With this missile load, the I class will become the feared face of its class. In Nato counterparts, this missile load can only be reached with Camm-Er and ESSM-2. The ability of a ship in I class to carry a 150km domestic long range missile Siper is a tremendous capability. When Bozdoğan based SeaRam missiles + CIWS are completed, These ships will be produced with these weapons as well. Namely, we're talking about a more effective weapon load than a Fremm loaded with Aster-15/30 or Mica VL.

T

Turko

With this missile load, the I class will become the feared face of its class. In Nato counterparts, this missile load can only be reached with Camm-Er and ESSM-2. The ability of a ship in I class to carry a 150km domestic long range missile Siper is a tremendous capability. When Bozdoğan based SeaRam missiles + CIWS are completed, These ships will be produced with these weapons as well. Namely, we're talking about a more effective weapon load than a Fremm loaded with Aster-15/30 or Mica VL.

AFAIK the ship will have EDAS so SIPER could be fit into it?

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
AFAIK the ship will have EDAS so SIPER could be fit into it?

Sage's EDAS, developed for soft launch missiles is alternative to Roketsan's MIDAS and Sage's G40/60 soft launch missiles are the alternatives to Roketsan's Hisar-Rf. The sage is developing technologies but End-user is procuring the systems from manufacturer-Roketsan. If Army only says OK for Sage solutions, These systems will be transfered for Roketsan and will find its place on ships so Until further notice, what Roketsan is being developed will be priority requests.

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,538
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Can Hisar RF be quad packed?

Gurcan said G40 will be quad pack, but I have not heard about Hisar being quad pack

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Besides, If a system is developed by a consortium with the encouragement or support of SSB, it is guaranteed that system will be included in the inventory under all circumstances.

SeaRam missile: Aselsan-Roketsan-Sage
Siper: Aselsan-Roketsan-Sage
MIDAS: Roketsan VLS with SSB encouragement and support
Hisar-Rf: Navy's special request, based on Hisar-O+
G40/60: Sage's special quad pack soft launch missile programs funded by themselves and EDAS is the Sage's VLS developed to fire these soft launch missiles.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom