News Patriarch of Alexandria met Cypriot Defense Minister

Pantelis

Reactions
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Cyprus
15d7-par06212-750x375.jpeg

During his official visit to Cyprus from Monday, September 6, 2021 until Friday, September 10, 2021, Patriarch Theodore II of Alexandria and All Africa held a meeting with the Minister of Defense, Charalambos Petridis, on Tuesday, September 7, 2021.

Present at the meeting were the Chief of the Cypriot National Guard, Lieutenant General Democritus Zervakis, and the General Director of the Ministry, Andreas Loukas.

The minister warmly welcomed the Alexandrian Primate to the Ministry of Defense in Nicosia, emphasizing that his presence on the island coincides with tomorrow’s great feast of Orthodoxy, as the Cypriot Armed Forces are celebrated on the Feast of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary.

He also informed the Patriarch that tomorrow a delegation of National Guard officials who are in Egypt and participate in the multinational exercise “BRIGHT STAR” will honor the Day of the Cypriot Armed Forces in a celebration to be held in Alexandria at the Community Church of the Annunciation

Petridis praised the timeless and invaluable work of the Patriarchate both in supporting and promoting the positions of Cyprus and for the preservation of the Greek community in the region and throughout the African continent.

On his part, the Patriarch expressed his joy that he visited Cyprus, noting that he was born on another nearby island, Crete. “I no longer count how many times I have come to Cyprus because now I feel that it is my second home. Every time I come, I feel my heart full of emotion, awe and responsibility towards the people in Africa where I shepherd 54 countries and how happy I am to meet the expatriate Cypriots there,” the Patriarch pointed out.

He also expressed his gratitude to the minister because, as he said, his regular presence in Egypt sends the message that the Mediterranean is the sea of peace and love.

The Patriarch was accompanied by the Exarch of the Patriarchate of Alexandria in Cyprus, Bishop Nikodimos of Nitria, and Archimandrite Damaskinos Alazrai.

Follow us on social media

Latest posts

Top Bottom