Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,601
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
KALE delivered the "third batch" of serial production cruise missile engines a few days ago. Every batch includes "dozens" of engines.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,601
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Do we have any news about Gezgin?
I take this as the engine of Gezgin. Yes, it is in development. Prototype production activity is going on.
KTJ-3700 nearing the end of bench tests. It is being integrated into Kara Atmaca and will be test-fired in the second quarter of this year. The first batch of serial production KTJ-3700 will be delivered this year. KTJ-3700 is the optimized version of KTJ-3200. They have identical size and weight.

Samba

Reactions
2 106
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
In technical and technological terms, how different is it to produce a turbofan engine than a turbojet one?

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,076
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
In technical and technological terms, how different is it to produce a turbofan engine than a turbojet one?
3 -8 times as difficult; your power turbine needs to generate enough power to drive both the fan and the compressor which means 2 or 3 concentric shafts and a hotter running engine. You also need 2-3 sleeves to separate gas streams. There are various degrees of complexity to turbofan engines as there are more components and aspects of engines to deal with. Kale missile turbofan and TF35000 engine by TR-Motor are the simplest and the most complex turbofan engines Türkiye is making.

Last edited:

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,076
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Arat is turbojet engine
Arat is the name for Gezgin missile and Gezgin would best be equipped with a turbofan engine but they chose to squeeze in another turbojet instead of making a turbofan in time, rendering the turbofan engine an engine for future missiles.

Shtr

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Kale Arge also started Turbo Fan motors at 2023. Their design phase is in prorgress. I expect in a few years we see some advances in the field of turbo fan designs.

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,121
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yep as far as we know ARAT is turbojet and will power gezgin. If we want tomahawk ranges, we will probably have to go through a few iterations of this.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,601
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I expect both turbojet and turbofan versions of the Arat engine to be developed. The advanced prototype of the turbojet version will probably appear next year. We might see a mock-up or design picture this year.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,076
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I have to rightfully make an insertion as this point. When the TJ3200 engine was being worked on I had started learning how to sketch 3D and sketched a TJ3200 equivalent engine. At a trade-show when I saw the Kale team engineers I mentioned my design and what pressure ratio it would provide but the engineer was skeptical and said it was excessive. My design had one more stage than the Kale engine and provided 20% more pressure. Turns out the Arat jet engine is doing exactly the same thing adding one more stage and extending the length. So they had to make the lesser one before they make the better one.

Profchaos

Reactions
1 278
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I have to rightfully make an insertion as this point. When the TJ3200 engine was being worked on I had started learning how to sketch 3D and sketched a TJ3200 equivalent engine. At a trade-show when I saw the Kale team engineers I mentioned my design and what pressure ratio it would provide but the engineer was skeptical and said it was excessive. My design had one more stage than the Kale engine and provided 20% more pressure. Turns out the Arat jet engine is doing exactly the same thing adding one more stage and extending the length. So they had to make the lesser one before they make the better one.
I logged in to the account after maybe 6 months so that i can laugh at this comment outloud 😂😂😂😂😂

DBdev

Committed member
Reactions
8 430
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turbofan missiles are efficient and gets you further with same amount of fuel but they are the slowest jet engines.

Slow means easy to shoot down. World is moving away from subsonic missiles. America tried staying subsonic with STEALTH but even they are focusing on hypersonic. For one you can't fire a non heat shielded subsonic cruise missile from a hypersonic flying 6th or 7th gen aircraft. So any propulsion tech it is not hypersonic is a dead end and a bad investment for the future.

At least invest in easy to build, store solid fuel hypersonic glider missiles. Arm all your submarines and ships with dozens of laser proof, heat tile covered, hypersonic missiles that can hit moving targets. Who is going to mess with us if we choose to do that instead of current subsonic silliness?

Capture.JPG

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
105 14,566
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turbofan missiles are efficient and gets you further with same amount of fuel but they are the slowest jet engines.

Slow means easy to shoot down. World is moving away from subsonic missiles. America tried staying subsonic with STEALTH but even they are focusing on hypersonic. For one you can't fire a non heat shielded subsonic cruise missile from a hypersonic flying 6th or 7th gen aircraft. So any propulsion tech it is not hypersonic is a dead end and a bad investment for the future.

At least invest in easy to build, store solid fuel hypersonic glider missiles. Arm all your submarines and ships with dozens of laser proof, heat tile covered, hypersonic missiles that can hit moving targets. Who is going to mess with us if we choose to do that instead of current subsonic silliness?

Capture.JPG
There are merits to what you say. However you can not rule out the use of subsonic missiles either. Neither should you call it “silliness”.

War is governed by and is a matter of sustainability, skill and managing economics of battlefield.

A hypersonic missile like ARRW will cost 15 to 18 million dollars a piece.

If you are not carrying a nuclear warhead, it is false economy to fire a hypersonic glide vehicle/missile over a thousand kilometres, unless you are aiming to sink a carrier.

We have even seen in latest news the claims of the much advertised, and estimated at 10+ million dollar a piece Zircon missile being shot down in Ukraine. So they are not infallible either.

Every piece of weapon has a use in a specific situation. Much acclaimed Storm Shadow missiles have faltered as well.
There were news earlier last year that western airforces like RAF were contemplating purchasing supersonic Rampage missiles (Israeli version of TRG300 artillery rockets fired from air) at a fraction of the cost of a Storm Shadow to take out enemy targets.

A sea skimming subsonic missile may only be visible to enemy radars in the last 80-90 seconds. Yet a terrain hugging subsonic cruise missile may not be visible to enemy radars until the last 20-30 seconds due to geographic camouflage it utilises.
So you use them accordingly.
We have subsonic sea skimming Atmaca and we have Stealthy SOM-J and SOM-C (under development) to hit sea targets. Then we have “unverified“ news of Typhoon that can travel at hypersonic speeds and hit moving sea targets.
All three have case specific attack envelopes that they utilise. It all depends on what assets of enemy you are targeting to destroy.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom