USA News State Dept. approves $2.5B sale of Abrams tanks to Romania

mehmed beg

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
2.5 billion dollars for 54 tanks and couple of additional vehicles to Romania from USA . I don't know who rules these countries, I really don't. This is more like the rocket. I can just imagine what the final cost ,during the service, will be.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,381
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
2.5 billion dollars for 54 tanks and couple of additional vehicles to Romania from USA . I don't know who rules these countries, I really don't. This is more like the rocket. I can just imagine what the final cost ,during the service, will be.

That includes total life cycle cost.

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,487
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey

State Dept. approves $2.5B sale of Abrams tanks to Romania​

By Jen Judson
Friday, Nov 10

1699830633549.png

U.S. Army M1 Abrams is loaded onto a raft during a wet gap crossing exercise as part of Saber Guardian 19 in Bordusani, Romania, June 21, 2019. (Photo by Spc. Abigail Graham/US Army)

WASHINGTON — The State Department cleared an estimated $2.53 billion foreign military sale of M1A2 Abrams Main Battle Tanks to Romania, the Defense Security Cooperation Agency said Nov. 9.

DSCA notified Congress, which must approve the sale, today.

Romania wants to buy 54 of the General Dynamics Land Systems-manufactured M1A2 SEPv3 Abrams tanks, 54 M1A1 structures, four M88A2 Hercules Combat Recovery Vehicles, four M1110 Joint Assault Bridges, four M1150 Assault Breacher Vehicles and four Heavy Assault Scissor Bridges.

The order would also include 54 M240C 7.62mm machine guns, 5,940 120mm M1147 High Explosive, Multipurpose, Tracer (HEMP-T) cartridges, 4,230 120mm M1002 Target Practice Multipurpose, Tracer (TPMP-T) cartridges and a variety of other support equipment.
Romanian lawmakers approved the National Defence Ministry’s request to buy 54 used M1A2 Abrams tanks from the United States in May 2023. At the time the cost was estimated to be worth 1 billion euros ($1.1 billion).

The Romanian government is accelerating work on a number of procurements, including plans to buy new armored vehicles, missiles systems, warships, 155mm howitzers and the F-35 Lightning II fighter jet in the aftermath of Russia’s attack against Ukraine.
Romania could become the second operator of the Abrams tank after the Polish government signed a deal worth nearly $5 billion to acquire 250 of the tanks in 2022 and placed a second order in January 2023 for another 116 Abrams worth $1.4 billion.

About Jen Judson
Jen Judson is an award-winning journalist covering land warfare for Defense News. She has also worked for Politico and Inside Defense. She holds a Master of Science degree in journalism from Boston University and a Bachelor of Arts degree from Kenyon College.

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/land/2023/11/09/state-dept-approves-25b-sale-of-abrams-tanks-to-romania/

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom