TR Cultural Tengrism and Ancient Turkic mythology/symbols

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
9 8,984
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
The lack of an agenda is what led to other religions taking over Tengrism. However I think in the 21st century, Tengrism has a chance at bouncing back. Turks especially, are leaving Islam rapidly. Most are turning to Deism, and Tengrism is gaining popularity among the youth. Though due to limited resources about Tengrism, most are only symbolically following it. Turks in Turkiye still retain some Tengrist traditions; really, we just need to expose it to more people, and it could de-Arabize the culture here, while also forming a solid, unique, Turkic identity.

In many ways I'm quite disconnected from Turkey but i have noticed that the educated youth of Turkey generally are moving away from the religion. But I've only really noticed this in some of the big cities. Do we have any real data as to the extent in which the religion is growing or receding?

Asena_great

Contributor
Reactions
13 1,487
In many ways I'm quite disconnected from Turkiye but i have noticed that the educated youth of Turkiye generally are moving away from the religion. But I've only really noticed this in some of the big cities. Do we have any real data as to the extent in which the religion is growing or receding?

idk how much they are reliable but as mentioned in the videos around 26% of the population identified as irreligious with in which 17% are atheist . some time ago i watched a video were an Islamic sheik express his worry about rise of families with both parents were atheist and the child growing without islam . its seems the next generation are going to be irreligious , I am atheist as well . on the other hand some islamist are turning to salafism and Wahhabism

meanwhile after 20 years of AKP islamist party ruled in turkey , Tengrism is growing among the youth like never before

despite government resistance, after month of fighting in the court , burhi become the first Turk who officially registered his religion as tengrist . they didn't recognize Tengrism as a religion cuz they are too afraid of it

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
112 14,716
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Apparently, Tengrism teaches to be nice and correct to each other. It tells you that ”Tengri” is all powerful and is the sky and universe itself. It loves all that is in it including us as they are all part of the “Tengri” .
“Tengri” is not considered a deity but the personification of the Universe itself. It protects and loves all within.
It is a single god religion.
Where as all Mid-Eastern single god religions teach to be afraid of the god. Tengrism teaches to love Tengri as it protects humans. Where as the three major single god religions teaches that god will punish humans by burning them in eternal fire for bad and criminal behaviour, Tengrism teaches that Tengri is all loving and protector of humans and will be upset for bad behaviour. Tengrism is between the person and the Tengri. There are no prophets or in between people.
To a more educated and analytical mind Tengrism may give more understandable and rational solutions to religious beliefs, rather than taking the words of prophets and disciples as gospel and law.

On a different note; At the end of a prayer to Tengri, Turks finish it with the word “Alaş” (pronounced Alash - meaning Victory) in place of the word “Amen” which is the continuation of the verification of the name of ancient Egyptian Pharaoh Amenhotep who tried to establish a single god religion and his name was mentioned at the end of each prayer.

Last edited:

Angry Turk !!!

Reactions
3 997
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Apparently, Tengrism teaches to be nice and correct to each other. It tells you that ”Tengri” is all powerful and is the sky and universe itself. It loves all that is in it including us as they are all part of the “Tengri” .
“Tengri” is not considered a deity but the personification of the Universe itself. It protects and loves all within.
It is a single god religion.
Where as all Mid-Eastern single god religions teaches to be afraid of the god. Tengrism teaches to love Tengri as it protects humans. Where as the three major single god religions teaches that god will punish humans by burning them in eternal fire for bad and criminal behaviour, Tengrism teaches that Tengri is all loving and protector of humans and will be upset for bad behaviour. Tengrism is between the person and the Tengri. There are no prophets or in between people.
To a more educated and analytical mind Tengrism may give more understandable and rational solutions to religious beliefs, rather than taking the words of prophets and disciples as gospel and law.
Does Tengri have a strong connection with Nature?

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
112 14,716
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yes it does. As Tengri is the Universe itself and has to protect all that is in it, it has to protect nature as well as humans. So to have a balance between nature and the way of life is in the heart of it all.

Asena_great

Contributor
Reactions
13 1,487
yes

here is the some of the Turkic deities

i am a turkmen before i learn English i didn't knew how much of the old heritage we still maintain for example before we perform muslim pray aka namaz we niyet to Tengri not allah in fact we never use his name in any pray and we call ramazan month as araz/alaz ay which was the turkic god of fire

mqdefault.jpg

alaz

FB9sJIAX0AE7hiF.jpg

umay_by_mahlukat_duke5j-pre.jpg

umay protector of unborn children in the botton of the picture you can the the souls of those children . she is the earth mother of the turkic pantheon

file.php

from left to right

erlik god of death and underworld

kayra god of creation

ulgen god of sky

Last edited:

Asena_great

Contributor
Reactions
13 1,487
Gün_Ana.jpg

gun-ana-absurdizi.com-1.jpg

Gün Ana is one of the most powerful deities, the goddess of life and fertility, warmth and health. She is patroness of the unfortunate, especially orphans. surprisingly she existed in our culture until the 19 century in various form

detail-of-tile-mosaic-of-lion-and-sun-shir-dar-madrasa-registan-samarqand-CXG0D4.jpg

lion and sun in Samarkand uzbekistan

Shirkhorshid665.jpg

lion and sun in qajar dynestiy the last turkic dynestiy to rule iran

lion and sun was the symbol of all the turkic dynasties in the east and they depicted all the suns as female which was the homage to gun ana

10981-original.jpg

ay ata moon god of turks

2266a-304947_10151115720211553_775474472_n.jpg
ergenekon_0.jpg

asena the mother of all turks who later help the trapped turks to exit ergenekon vally and to create the first Gokturk empire

1672331982993.jpeg

mergen god of wisdom son of kayra

among Turkmens mergen means marksmen or those who are so skilled in marksmanship that they lost the ability to miss

Last edited:

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,348
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Or maybe not.

Asena_great

Contributor
Reactions
13 1,487

1200px-Cynocephalen.jpg

in this video they forget to include itbarak which was a dog headed monster . when i was kid i always told by elderly if i don't beheive the itbarak will come and steal me lol i thought they are local story/lies back then but when i learn English i realized that the myth has a historical background

b3bfcd22606155.5631577fde166.jpg

The_Soviet_Union_1989_CPA_6091_stamp_%28Koroghlu%2C_Azerbaijan_epic_poem._A._Gadzhiev%29.jpg

Epic of Koroglu is about rising against oppression

Oublious

Experienced member
The Netherlands Correspondent
Reactions
7 4,313
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yes it does. As Tengri is the Universe itself and has to protect all that is in it, it has to protect nature as well as humans. So to have a balance between nature and the way of life is in the heart of it all.

that not monotheistic religion but panteizm.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom