Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,597
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
These two would be the most likely reasons. My bet is on the name. Still think it will be Anatolian Eagle.

buraktunahan

Reactions
9 366
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
For it to be a surprise, it has to be something unexpected. I think it wouldn't be a surprise since the name will already be given.

So you can call me "nonsense" but I think the "surprise" MMU will fly on May 1st.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,193
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Hürjet didn't take long from roll out to first flight, neither did KFX, TFX is expected to fly by the end of this year but it is not far from being able to fly. The time that will be spent until the first flight will only be fore sake of being prudent.

buraktunahan

Reactions
9 366
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,790
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
1:40 in the video : "On May 1, we will have a surprise with all our teams there to be broadcast live. I won't reveal it for now, wait for our surprise." says.

A very valuable interview. Rather than the May 1 surprise, what pleases me the most is that one of the most authoritative people in the project emphasised that Super Lightning(yeni Şimşek), MMU and ANKA-3 are parts of the same programme with a holistic approach.

The other issue is that probably thousand of engineers between the ages of 25-30 are directly and indirectly involved in the project. When the first block mass production of the MMU starts, a huge team from many disciplines that have experience in this 5th generation fighter jet will still be in their 30s.

edit: By the way, I think the surprise on 1 May is the Naval MMU concept

Last edited:

manifesto

Committed member
Reactions
3 474
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
IR Passive search, detection, and tracking
Superior target detection range via LWIR imaging
Single/Multiple target tracking
Wide scan area
Low scan time
Narrow/Wide viewing angle imaging
I hope we have now moved from 640x480 pixels to 1024x768 pixel HD LWIR sensors with together KARAT.

manifesto

Committed member
Reactions
3 474
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
KARAT and EOTS will have 1280x1024. This is i think 100th time it is mentioned in this forum.
Ok dude calm down, I know about EOTS, but when I saw that it was based on KARAT LWIR, my mind went to 1024x768. The 1280x1024 LWIR based sensor is not very common.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,193
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
FYI

If you have a full frame photo camera you need to be shooting with at least a 50mm lens to get rid of camera distortion, anything lower and you get camera distortion and unreal proportions. 50mm is equal to what the human eye sees. If you have a smaller sensor camera you need to know what your equivalent value to a 50mm full frame lens is and shoot with a higher focal distance lens than that or setting of if you have zoom.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,438
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Can someone with knowledge compare the specs of turkish EOTS and IRST to western equivalents. Like the ones in f35 or f22?

This is below TOYGUN specs.

1682618688598.png

For now KARAT IRST specs is not revealed yet.

F-22 doesn't have any EOTS or IRST.

Only F-35 does.

F-35's old EOTS is 640x512 MWIR.

Can identify and track targets from 90km.

However, F-35 block 4 is supposed to get a new EOTS. (Which should exceed previous capabilities in terms of range and resolution.)

About DAS, watch this video.

The F-35's DAS was flown in military operational exercises in 2011,[4] has demonstrated the ability to detect and track ballistic missiles to ranges exceeding 800 miles (1,300 km),[5] and has also demonstrated the ability to detect and track multiple small suborbital rockets simultaneously in flight.

A DAS test system has also been used to track tank gun firing, but this is "not an F-35 requirement".

Source- Wiki.

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom