The Hashd Shaabi militia bombed the US Consulate in Erbil and the Erbil International Airport

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,949
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
There's no doubt about iran's supporting pkk
View attachment 14301

Pic from 2018 in afrin (captured iranian atgm)

Iran has been supporting pkk for decades. The problem is Turkey has been doing nothing to punish them.

In the iran and iraq we stayed neutral when we should have supported Saddam.

I can list you so many things the treacherous stuff the Iranians did to Turkey and Azerbaijan. Soleimani even helped the Armenians during the first Karabag war.

Seriously we need to harden our stance against Iran.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,704
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
We’ll strengthen our position in Iraq and control the entire route they use. If Iran supported militia continues, we’ll hit them with uav and such. Once we control the routes Iran will have to begin cooperating or face absolute hindrance on their transport of weapons to Syria, pushing Assad further into Russian arms.

We’ll have to play this game slowly which annoys me, but all involved parties West and regime side are hostile towards Turkey.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,949
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
We’ll strengthen our position in Iraq and control the entire route they use. If Iran supported militia continues, we’ll hit them with uav and such. Once we control the routes Iran will have to begin cooperating or face absolute hindrance on their transport of weapons to Syria, pushing Assad further into Russian arms.

We’ll have to play this game slowly which annoys me, but all involved parties West and regime side are hostile towards Turkey.

Iran is going to weaken trust me that regime is going to pop like a baloon.

The problem is iran gained strength thanks to obama and it seems biden will continue that policy.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,704
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Iran is going to weaken trust me that regime is going to pop like a baloon.

The problem is iran gained strength thanks to obama and it seems biden will continue that policy.
Once Iran gains nuclear weapons it'll change the balances in the region quite a bit. But sanctions are still a bitch and Iran is no exception. Even NK uses nuclear threat as means to get a bit foot, personally I think NK should be starved.

Anyway we need to ensure that TSK has more domestic hardware and the arms industry is secure, which means supply and demand and not just Turkey as customer, but we need more customers abroad. Especially if we want to secure our achivements with Hurjet and such. We need to order and receive Hurjet so TSK can start using the gadgets and such.

S

Sinan

If a journalist who does not experience how an operation is conducted has not worked as a war correspondent, he evaluates the incident with hearsay information. Then it makes a compilation.
However, if a soldier has breathed that air, he knows the intricacies of the operation. Knows the geographical structure of the field. He also gets news from his military friends. A reporter collects gossip only from "local" sources close to the area.
A journalist can evaluate a military operation by listening to the comments of a bureaucrat in Ankara at most. He is definitely a soldier in that bureaucrat. However, when bureaucrats make their own comments, they do not teach journalists the fine points of this work.
The thing is Murat Yetkin (i don't know about the others) doesn't evaluate the operation like Mete Yarar. Murat Yetkin have sources in institutions. He access to details and conveys these details to us.

Mete Yarar evaluates the operation with based on open sources with his military knowledge.

I think comparing them is like comparing apples with oranges.

I listen to both of them and form my opinion from the information i got from them.

But, i have to add that Mete Yarar is going too much into politics and conspiracy theories since 1-2 years.

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
60 29,114
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The thing is Murat Yetkin (i don't know about the others) doesn't evaluate the operation like Mete Yarar. Murat Yetkin have sources in institutions. He access to details and conveys these details to us.

Mete Yarar evaluates the operation with based on open sources with his military knowledge.
I have already said the same too.
In such a situation, you cannot expect a journalist who is not a war correspondent to interpret the incident down to the finest detail just because they have sources "in institutions".
Actually, the subject is all about your expectations. If you are only interested in qualitative details, Mete Yarar will be the best choice for you. But if you're interested in quantitative aggregates rather than qualitative details, nobody can say anything to it. This is your problem.

Test7

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
18 19,918
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is claimed that Iran retaliated against this attack.

Fire 'catastrophe' destroys 100 fuel tankers on Afghanistan-Iran border​

1.jpg

The huge blaze at Islam Qala port has largely been extinguished and an investigation launched into its cause HOSHANG

At least 100 oil and gas tankers have been destroyed by fire in a "catastrophe" at Afghanistan's biggest trade crossing with Iran, causing millions of dollars of losses, officials said Sunday.

The huge blaze, which broke out Saturday afternoon at Islam Qala port 120 kilometres (75 miles) from the western city of Herat, has largely been extinguished and an investigation launched into its cause.

"We were told that 100 or 200 tankers have been destroyed, but this number could be higher," Jailani Farhad, spokesman for the governor of Herat province, said after visiting the scene.

During the blaze looters descended on the site, stealing goods that were being imported and exported across the border, Younus Qazi Zada, the head of the Herat Chamber of Commerce said.
"The catastrophe was much bigger than imagined," he said, adding: "Unfortunately, irresponsible people have looted a large number of goods."
Qazi Zada said initial estimates were of "millions of dollars of losses".
Farhad added that investigators needed more time to examine the extent of the losses.
Videos posted on social media on Saturday night showed the towering fire and huge clouds of thick black smoke billowing into the sky.

An AFP photographer at the scene on Sunday said flames and smoke were still rising from the burned-out trucks.
Hundreds of people who say they are the owners of the trucks have gathered at a nearby police cordon, trying to get access.
Around 20 people were injured in the fire, according to Herat health officials.
The finance ministry said early findings suggested the blaze started in a tanker before quickly spreading and causing "heavy financial losses" -- including fuel, tankers and customs facilities.
A delegation from the capital Kabul will investigate.

Damage to power lines from the incident left large parts of Herat province without power on Sunday.
On Sunday, Afghan and Iranian fire services were at the scene extinguishing small remaining blazes.
- Trucks fled over the border -

Islam Qala is one of the major ports in Afghanistan, through which most official trade with Iran is conducted.
Kabul has waivers from Washington allowing it to import oil and gas from Iran despite US sanctions.
Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said the border "was held open for trucks, cars and people running from the fire".

Afghanistan's vice president Amrullah Saleh said hundreds of trucks were allowed to enter Iran to escape the fire.
The Taliban has regularly attacked fuel tankers they suspect of supplying foreign troops in the country.
In 2014, the hardline group destroyed more than 200 fuel trucks on Kabul's outskirts in an attack.
There was no indication that militants were behind Saturday's blaze.
However, insurgents assaulted a nearby security post shortly after the blaze broke out, taking advantage of the situation, Farhad said Saturday.

Security forces have been deployed around the port area.
Afghanistan has been hit by a surge in violence despite ongoing peace talks between the Taliban and the Afghan government, which have so far failed to achieve a breakthrough.

The rise in violence has led US President Joe Biden's administration to launch a review of a deal signed between Washington and the terror group last year that paved the way for the withdrawal of all American troops in the coming months.

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,850
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
American policy paradox, try to contain Iran in Iraq while supplying a organization that has relations with Iran in Syria with weapons worth millions. America's ME policy is a complete failure on all sides. And with Biden it is only going to get worse as he just like Obama is going to have stale relations with Israel.

Trump could have changed something but he was too much of an coward and too incompetent to purge the Pentagon of Obama appointed lackies that continued the same destructive policy even after Obama left in the shadows by lying and manipulating the press.

I'm already interested in the books that are going to be written about this absolute policy failure perpetrated by the Pentagon and how they are going to deflect from that fact in the future.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,949
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
American policy paradox, try to contain Iran in Iraq while supplying a organization that has relations with Iran in Syria with weapons worth millions. America's ME policy is a complete failure on all sides. And with Biden it is only going to get worse as he just like Obama is going to have stale relations with Israel.

Trump could have changed something but he was too much of an coward and too incompetent to purge the Pentagon of Obama appointed lackies that continued the same destructive policy even after Obama left in the shadows by lying and manipulating the press.

I'm already interested in the books that are going to be written about this absolute policy failure perpetrated by the Pentagon and how they are going to deflect from that fact in the future.

American money supplied by the cia has also ended up on al qaeda.

Uae and the saudis have alledgedly gave weapons to al qaeda in yemen to combat the houthis while the usa turned a blind eye to it.

Overall a lot of stuff are not making sense in this game of geopolitical chess.

S

Sinan

I have already said the same too.
In such a situation, you cannot expect a journalist who is not a war correspondent to interpret the incident down to the finest detail just because they have sources "in institutions".
Actually, the subject is all about your expectations. If you are only interested in qualitative details, Mete Yarar will be the best choice for you. But if you're interested in quantitative aggregates rather than qualitative details, nobody can say anything to it. This is your problem.
Maybe, however Mete Yarar has been wrong many times with his projections. I think it's better to draw your conclusion from the details but like you said, it's your problem.

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
9 8,956
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
I

American policy is for the region to ruin itself. To keep it in constant conflict and war. In that sense its been a great success.

While the EU has peace and economic prosperity and constant attempts to unify, the middle east gets daily horror stories.

divide and conquer.

E

ekemenirtu

It goes to show how easily the US can track ballistic missiles launched at night even in the neighbourhood of Iran better than the Iranians.

Their "eyes and ears" in the neighbourhood of Iran, perhaps even within Iran, is superior to what the Iranians have been able to muster. That may explain the few instances of overt failure when an important, retired nuclear scientist was assassinated within Iran and when their most prominent military commander Qasem Solemani was killed by a simple drone attack.

Despite all the rhetoric and bluster, Iran has not been able to develop and test a simple nuclear weapon, yet. They have not been able to develop and test any ICBM either in all these years. Quite pathetic really.

To be fair, so is the case with all other OIC members. Each and every single OIC member is pathetic in this regard.

Inspector_spacetime

Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Yes. Of course our operations are being planned and executed by super duper Mete Yarar. He knows everything. Riiiiiight. BTW i wont believe anything that comes his mouth. For me he is not trustworthy. But people like Murat Yetkin or Uğur Dündar or Emre Kongar are real journalist. They report things. They dont have to understand military intelligence. They dont make things up. They job is to inform people. Thats it.
Lastly ; Mete Yarar resigned in 2004. I highly doubt his knowledge level in current Special Forces operations. There must be alot changes by now in terms of operation types , technology etc.
No, I am sorry to say but journalists job is not to inform the people. It is to mislead people unfortunately. There are only a handfull of journalists that are actually trying to inform people but they are really scarce. Those that do inform properly either get bullied by interest groups, big media, their "colleague's" etc. or do not have the exposure to reach people. This isn't something that is unique to Turkey by the way. It is the same all over the world. Media serves to sway public opinion to whatever suits their agenda at the time.

I do not know who Murat Yetkin and Emre Kongar are, so I am not going to comment about them. But Ugur Dundar is actually one of the worst offenders of manipulating his readers and viewers, he is not to be trusted imo, and here is why. His biases are pretty clear and obvious and he reports according to these biases. Fact checking his claims will almost always show that he either misreported, or added various manipulation technique's to his reports. He is also a regular at Halk tv, CHP's channel. This makes it obvious what his objectives are and this reflects in the way he conducts his analysis and news reports. Ugur Dundar is a CHP'er by chance in this example, but you got these kinds of "reporters" and "journalists" that have heavy biases for AKP, MHP, IP, HDP, etc. For instance I regard Sozcu and Yeni Akit both as trash. One might say these newspapers are opposites of each other, but I would argue that these newspapers are exact copies of each other, two sides of the same coin, serving to polarize the people. And then they have the nerve to critisize others for polarizing.

Sure, any reporter or journalists can fall victim to his/her emotions or make a mistake now and then. A journalist can also have a sway towards one side or the other, that is fine too and I don't critisize that. We all have opinions one way or the other. But if it becomes systematic and evident in almost every publication that they use various misdirection tactics or unfactual reporting, than it is safe to conclude that the writer or newspaper/media has a certain agenda and that ethics and clean journalism isn't their first priority, but rather influence its readers according to their agenda (maybe some of them are not even aware that they are doing it, I don't know, but that is what I see when I reflect on what I read or saw and heard on tv debates). How can one tell if it is systematically recurring? By either reading every publication, or randomly pick and read publications at random time invertal's to see if these manipulation and misinformation techniques are a recurring theme or not. Same goes for speeches and debates on tv and podcasts etc. But before doing this, we got to know what to look for, learn how they use these techniques and even still we are prone to being mislead as we are not experts on every topic. Those topics that elude us, make us more prone to be influenced, whether positive or negative, but we don't know that unless we fact check what we heard or read in that moment. But lets face it, nobody has the time nor the patience to fact check everything we read and "they" know that as well and push their agenda accordingly. And I put "they" in airquotes because the special interest groups behind "they" are different on each topic.

I have been listening to Mete Yarar as well, whenever I catch him on tv. He tries to be neutral in his analysis and I appreciate that. He seems to hold the country/state at the highest priority, instead of a political party or ideology like most do in Turkey. When he critisizes something it is more like feedback to those he critizes, I mean he doesn't drag them through the mud nor does he speak in absolutes like: "everything is awesome" or "everthing is terrible". Speaking in absolutes like that is one of the most clear signs of trying to influence/mislead people one way or another. He doesn't systematically alienate or demonize people, organizations or institutions. If I were to dig deeper than I am sure I would find some stuff that are wrong in his reports or sayings, but every reporter can do wrongs or make mistakes. If they do it systematically in almost every article, newsreport and debate, then I would consider them to be untrustworthy as well as unworthy of the profession of journalism. Those journalists stick out like a sore thumb, and sorry to say but most of them are like that in my opinion.

I am basing my opinion on my own experience following debates and reading articles and then reflecting on them. Please don't take anything I say at face value and do your own research, because I may have misinterpreted or unconciensly fallen victim to my own cognitive biases as well as confirmation biases when conducting my own research.

Last edited:

dani92

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Iraq
This gives a message that no US place is safe even inside KRG

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom