News The Turkish frigate TCG Gemlik (F-492) was found less than six miles from Eastern Crete

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 23-12-55 MarineTraffic Global Ship Tracking Intelligence AIS Marine T...png

Nautical Geo 👆
A démarche has been taken in Ankara to harass the research vessel "Nautical Geo", which has undertaken to examine the possible course of the East Med pipeline and is chartered by the governments of Greece, the Republic of Cyprus and Israel. In fact, "Nautical Geo" has been trying to advance its mission for at least two months, but is not implementing it due to harassment by Turkish warships, which emphasize that the area six nautical miles east and south of Crete is a Turkish continental shelf.

Last edited:

Oublious

Experienced member
The Netherlands Correspondent
Reactions
7 4,327
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yes that 6 miles is your territorial water and the rest is Turkish EEZ. You can find gas in your own waters. :D

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
Yes that 6 miles is your territorial water and the rest is Turkish EEZ. You can find gas in your own waters. :D
This is an official position of Turkey deriving from the Memorandum with Libya. However, no one asked Greece about the establishment of this transnational agreement. This transnational agreement violates the legal right of Greece to extend its territorial waters to 12 nautical miles. Greece has never denied this right, it simply has not exercised it. But she can do it whenever she wants.

BordoEnes

Committed member
Reactions
2 866
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
A scenario of such a geopolitical confrontation is very dangerous.

With divisive issues such as this both parties will be aggressive and put pressure to get as much concession as they can for a possible deal. This is just part of it. Both parties have maximist claims for reason.

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
With divisive issues such as this both parties will be aggressive and put pressure to get as much concession as they can for a possible deal. This is just part of it. Both parties have maximist claims for reason.
The bad thing is that in the end the bill is paid by the average citizen with the well-known catastrophic consequences of a war. These geopolitical games must stop immediately. Because of all these policies, millions of people are at risk. Let the political leadership finally come to an intergovernmental agreement to end this story.

HTurk

Contributor
Reactions
1 1,203
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
@Foulgrim

To be fair and completely honest, Turkish military ships usually don't cruise in proximity to Crete. We don't see this everyday, it's not a common act by the Turkish side. This sabre-rattling is rather Ankara's way of saying that the status quo is definite until a solution of mutual satisfaction has been found. A "don't even try"-move, so to speak.

However, your reference to the Cyprus dispute is obviously misleading, though, I understand why people are tempted to make a comparison but it's historically and factually not a proper comparison.

Both conflicts are fundamentally different with diverging historic, social and geopolitic backgrounds. Yet, the most striking similarity in these two varying disputes is that Greece and Turkey, both nations, are trying their best to solidify the status quo.

I'm not claiming they do this intentionally but the outcome speaks for itself and can be seen by every observer.

It's quite ironic given the fact that both sides claim to push their respective agenda successfully in the region and international arena. The truth is that both parties are just working to manifest the status quo because both are afraid of the repercussions if they go too far. Neither Greece nor Turkey was able to change even one inch of the border and this situation is not going to change tomorrow or in 25 years.

All this dedication is spent to sustain the conflict and not to reach a solution - in Athens and Ankara.

Too many cowards on both sides, not enough courages people on neither side of the Aegean sea.

Ardabas34

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I suspect the reason Turkish side chose such a harsh treatment has to do with the rumors of US being given more military bases in Aegean islands.

@Foulgrim
What does Greece say about this matter? Is the new potential US bases in Aegean islands a hot topic over there?

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
I suspect the reason Turkish side chose such a harsh treatment has to do with the rumors of US being given more military bases in Aegean islands.

@Foulgrim
What does Greece say about this matter? Is the new potential US bases in Aegean islands a hot topic over there?
The concession of a military base in the USA concerned a proposal of the previous Greek Government and specifically on the island of Karpathos where it is located southwest of Rhodes. The current Greek government has never officially said that such an agreement with the United States has been implemented. These are rumors that have been written in recent days in Turkish newspapers, from the Greek side there is no such thing. But even if there was such an agreement between Greece and the USA, i personally am strongly opposed to such a decision.

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
@Foulgrim

Why are you opposed to it? You think US interests and Greek interests dont align?
Greece's interests with the United States are not aligned as long as this relationship continues to turn it into a protectorate of Anglo-Saxon foreign policy. If the relationship between Greece and the USA was equal then yes but here we are not talking about something like that. Greece is tied following the interests of the USA and Germany. No country in the world has delivered so much to another allied country without even accepting something similar.

Ardabas34

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Greece's interests with the United States are not aligned as long as this relationship continues to turn it into a protectorate of Anglo-Saxon foreign policy. If the relationship between Greece and the USA was equal then yes but here we are not talking about something like that. Greece is tied following the interests of the USA and Germany. No country in the world has delivered so much to another allied country without even accepting something similar.
I am also curious if the French influence and US influence in Greece will clash in the near future as an extention of the recent global events or will they continue to grow their influence mutually.

Trakya_forever

Committed member
Reactions
4 572
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Except two or three countries, you cant be ally with the USA. They will have you turned around their finger and take advantages from you for some time.

As a part of EU and totally come upon EU, this so called alliance to the US is really dangerous for Greece. You will see in time what I mean.

Ecderha

Experienced member
Reactions
4 7,787
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Indeed, dont invite any research vessels there or u will face the consequences of th

The bad thing is that in the end the bill is paid by the average citizen with the well-known catastrophic consequences of a war. These geopolitical games must stop immediately. Because of all these policies, millions of people are at risk. Let the political leadership finally come to an intergovernmental agreement to end this story.

"The bad thing is that in the end the bill is paid by the average citizen" True and I agreee, but you have to be realist -> people Want this and same people vote and select politition which follow this aggresive stand-> therefor time passed and lies countiune by greece. all time greece they blame Turkiye, but we know the greece are proactive and countine with provocation on Turkish territory.
I think the level of provocation by greece passed the line of acceptance by Turkiye. As we see last 1-2 years Turkiye increase more and more response measures against this non stop greece provocations, therefor I think we will see soon that there WILL be big response that will shake greece.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Let the political leadership finally come to an intergovernmental agreement to end this story."
It is is toooooooooo late, greece have very little time left
Turkiye showed so many times (countless times) that it is ready and did response to ALL inititives for aggrements, but greece officals behave all time the same way twisted things, keep delaying at that moment taken initives and as we all saw on later stages greece officals rejecting all.This happend over and over and was showed on greece madia like some achivement !

My point is that TIME passed -> 40+ years!!!!!!!!
Therefor I think that greece time of so many options is almost over (if they think that they will have more leverage by doing that, we see that this was bad choose).

I think that greece have at best 1-2 years or less. After that time passed it will be to late and will cost them too much. But there is other more bad thing to happend as current situation -> greece keep doing this provocations there will be big response which will lead to greece to loss more

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
I am also curious if the French influence and US influence in Greece will clash in the near future as an extention of the recent global events or will they continue to grow their influence mutually.
This is a really worthwhile question, however difficult to answer. The AUKUS military alliance has shown that the United States is now focusing on the China Sea region to decide who will have the scepter of the first geopolitical power. In short, Europe is now a second priority for the United States, the first priority for them is now China, which is growing militarily and economically. So maybe France will be given a bigger geopolitical role than it has today in Europe, unless Turkey steals its lead. All this development of military equipment by Turkey is done to oppose the geopolitical interests of France. It is very likely that France will have a stronger geopolitical role in Greece than the United States in the future. Time will show whether it will be done without bloodshed. In Greece we say a phrase where he says: "When the buffaloes fight in the mud, the frogs pay for it". France and the USA are the buffaloes while Greece represents the frogs.

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
Except two or three countries, you cant be ally with the USA. They will have you turned around their finger and take advantages from you for some time.

As a part of EU and totally come upon EU, this so called alliance to the US is really dangerous for Greece. You will see in time what I mean.
I understand what you mean but I did not say that exactly when i used the term "equal alliance". I mean the "equal" alliance it has with other countries such as Norway, Italy and the Netherlands. Clearly we can not have an alliance with the US as it is with Great Britain, Israel, Australia and South Korea. We could have the allied ties that the US has with the above countries. But we chose to give everything to the US (airports, islands, military bases) without taking anything at all.

Oublious

Experienced member
The Netherlands Correspondent
Reactions
7 4,327
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkey can not be blamed, Greece refused to talk about ther maximalist claims. And this is the result of Greece and not Turkey. If you ask every Greece person they will claim ther right of EEZ. Stupidy among Turks thinking that Greece will come to a rational answer if we give our rights for part. You did see ther claims against Libya and dumg Egyptians.

Top Bottom