Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,732
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
What annoys me is that there is not one authority with knowledge of treaties who can tell if there is a way to cancel the Montreux treaty.

What happens here on forum is guess work. Guessing is not good enough, we need facts.

Turkey should be able to generate money from the Bosphorus and not only accept the pollution that foreign tanker traffic leaves behind. IMO Turkish politics is ultimately weak. Politics is like what SSM is for the defense industry, if there is no continuation, steadfast steering and pursuing of the countries interest, we get exactly what we have: international garbage level in politics.
Montreux can be cancelled
It isnt difficult
The problem is what montreux is.....
montreux was a sort of upgrade on the initial treaty of lausanne as the turks were pissed from it (although i personally believe that both treaties are shit, prevents turkey from obtaining massive revenues but what was essential at the time)

As @xenon said before, if you cancelled montreux, then you are obliged to follow the treaty of lausanne which will dimilitarise the straits. However, such treaties (from what I know) normally ends after a hundred years; thus, officially the treaty of lausanne should end by the year 2023 or 2024 which will then make it easy for turkey to withdraw from lausanne at ease

That is how i see it IMO

King_West

Reactions
Nation of residence
Belgium
However, such treaties (from what I know) normally ends after a hundred years; thus, officially the treaty of lausanne should end by the year 2023 or 2024 which will then make it easy for turkey to withdraw from lausanne at ease

That is how i see it IMO
Yeah, thats BS bro. This treaty doesnt end after a hundred years. Stop with spreading such bs conspiracies or give us proof

Philips

Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Netherlands
What annoys me is that there is not one authority with knowledge of treaties who can tell if there is a way to cancel the Montreux treaty.

What happens here on forum is guess work. Guessing is not good enough, we need facts.
We don't know what will happen de jure if Turkey cancel the Montreux convention. But we do know that there is not much that other countries can do if Turkey, with its current might that is ever increasing, annuls the convention.

Turkey has been suffering under Russian shenanigans for decades. Before Turkey joined NATO, the soviets were pressuring Turkey heavily about the straits and thus it pushed it into the NATO sphere. And even then, Russian aircraft carriers could freely pass the straits because they could als carry missiles and thus could be classified as 'aircraft carrying cruisers' while NATO carriers could not enter the Black Sea. Even after the collapse of the Soviet-union, the Russians kept threatening Turkey with their naval power in 1996 and subsequently in 2014 with the invasion of the Crimea. All the while Turkey was and still isn't capable of countering Russia in the Black Sea on an equal deterrence basis.

And for the cherry on top, the Turks helplessly watch as Russian war- and supply ships pass through the straits, arming the Syrian butcher and bombing Syrians that eventually flee to Turkey by the millions. Turkey is, like we say in dutch: 'mopping the floor with the tap running'.

How can Turkey counter Russian military power in the Black sea and the Mediterranean? Simple, annul the Montreux agreement and establish full sovereignty over the straits. Only with Turkish permission, warships of any nation can enter or leave the Black Sea.

A Russian military support operation for Syria would then become virtually impossible to sustain for the Russians, and would thus fail. But this is only possible if Turkey has sufficient conventional deterrence capability against Russia in the Black Sea (think groundlaunched LACM and AShM, longer range ballistic missiles, long range SAM, supersonic AShM) or it it allows NATO carriers and subs in the Black sea on a more permanent basis to pressure the Russians. But it is better for Turkey to build up its own capabilities against Russia, because it is already working on independent military capability.

Because of Turkeys' current might, the only country that could meaningfully protest against an annulling of the Montreux agreement in the Black Sea, is Russia. The other countries are aligned with Turkey and too weak to protest such a decision. And secretly the US and NATO would love it to be able to pressure the Russians in the Black Sea. It makes the Russians think twice before they start shit against Turkey or its surroundings.

And together with Istanbul canal, Turkey can also earn a lot of money with transit fees, investments, prime real estate and jobs. A double win for Turkey.

Russia has gotten away with a lot of shit against Turkey. It is time for Turkey to dish out some too.

Last edited:

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,544
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don't agree with nothing will happen if Turkey decides to change a treaty. There are two parties primarily concerned with the free passage of the Bosphorus: 1 Russia, 2 EU (Bulgaria, Romania are both EU members now and the Danube river shipping traffic goes through the Boshporus)

So you cannot just annul a treaty without consequences but that does not mean you cannot negotiate a new treaty on which all parties can have a consensus. But I do not see any Turkish political move in this direction. Just building a canal and hoping everyone will take the paid passage does not cut it.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,732
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
Yeah, thats BS bro. This treaty doesnt end after a hundred years. Stop with spreading such bs conspiracies or give us proof
According to the international law, no treaty can be implemented for more than 100 years

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
why does it matter at all? treaties are just letters on paper reflecting situation and positions of involved parties.
when turkey be ready and when estimate that conditions has changed they will create new reality for new treaty, it is stupid to be constrained permanently by treaty conditions. it is just matter of power and will to enforce it.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
You are mini usa for that part of world, at least you aim to be. Anyway, Turkey goal should be to cancel both treaties and work in that direction, it seems that channel could help with that in certain amount for moving leverage in your favour.

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
I do know that such treaty normally ends after 100 years; thus, either in 2023 or in 2024
That is why I said timing is important
Lol nother one who who thinks lausanne treaty will end.

Stuka

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
5 4,538
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

2 days before the groundbreaking ceremony of "Kanal Istanbul"​

1624534426354.png

1624534541005.png

1624534241910.png

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,179
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Treaties, you sign them and you cancel them.
We signed them when we were weak, we can impose our conditions when we are stronger.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,781
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey

Bunun üzerine; 13 Haziran'ı 14 Haziran'a bağlayan gece, saat 03:30'da buraya askeri birlikler gönderilmiştir. Bu alanda bir gerginlik ya da bir çatışma durumu olmadığı için, açıkçası bunu garipsedik. Askeri birliklerin koruması ve gözetiminde şantiye alanı, bölgedeki İSKİ yerleşkemizin yaklaşık 500 metre uzağına yeniden kurulmuştur. Şantiyenin, yapılacağı iddia edilen Kanal İstanbul projesinin 6 nolu köprüsü için kurulduğu ifade edilmiştir" diye konuştu.

Under the protection and supervision of military units, the construction site was rebuilt approximately 500 meters from our İSKİ campus in the region. It has been stated that the construction site was established for the 6th bridge of the Kanal Istanbul project, which is claimed to be built.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,179
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
They wanted to stop the first bridge on the Bosporus, then the second one, then the third one, and than the tube then the airport and now the canal Istanbul. I wonder who is behind them trying to stop us from prospering.

Nurhak40

Reactions
They wanted to stop the first bridge on the Bosporus, then the second one, then the third one, and than the tube then the airport and now the canal Istanbul. I wonder who is behind them trying to stop us from prospering.
Many years ago Erdogan was also against the 3rd bridge. Was he also part of the group that is against these projects?

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,179
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Many years ago Erdogan was also against the 3rd bridge. Was he also part of the group that is against these projects?
I don't remember him being against a bridge that will enable Turkey to prosper, please refresh our memories.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,732
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
Politics isnt clean
Why would the opposition allow the ruling party to build good projects that will motivate the ppl to revote for them
It is better to stop them and when the opposition gets in power, they build these projects

Iam not saying that to kanal istanbul (as it is a highle controversial project) but many projects, especially the tube, turned out to be good and the CHP used to oppose it

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom