Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Esad Akgün, General Manager of ASFAT
  • Apart from the 4 ships exported to Pakistan, there is a 5th ship project.
  • Turkey and Pakistan are designing the ship together
  • All rights of the ship will belong to Turkey and Pakistan

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Akgün pointed out that, apart from MİLGEM, his activities in Pakistan continue not only with the Naval Forces, but also with the Land and Air Forces, and continued as follows:

"We don't want to say much for now, as we consider that it is not appropriate to announce this before the projects are clearly revealed, but we hope and expect that, by Allah's permission, we will again sign very large defense industry projects that will be revolutionary. This is as a result of the prestige we have gained in the MİLGEM Project. It comes before us."

Waz

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan

Yes this is the big one i.e. 5,000 ton displacement upon which six ships will be based on. This will be the greatest Turk/Pak project so far.
Then it will be the MilDEN submarine inshallah.

Last edited:

Bilal Khan(Quwa) 

Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
3 228
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Akgün pointed out that, apart from MİLGEM, his activities in Pakistan continue not only with the Naval Forces, but also with the Land and Air Forces, and continued as follows:

"We don't want to say much for now, as we consider that it is not appropriate to announce this before the projects are clearly revealed, but we hope and expect that, by Allah's permission, we will again sign very large defense industry projects that will be revolutionary. This is as a result of the prestige we have gained in the MİLGEM Project. It comes before us."

There were a few interactions between the Pakistan Air Force and ASFAT AS. Thus far, Pakistan has not signed onto the TFX, but I wonder if the talks with ASFAT AS have something to do with AZM. Basically, AZM could end up being a unique fighter. However, even if that was the case, I wouldn't rule out the use of key Turkish sub-systems, like the TR Motor engines, in that program.

Spook

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Turkey

Could this be the TF-"200" with 32x VLS and scaled down CAFRAD. That would probably enter service around 2030s.

Test7

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
18 19,918
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
I wonder if the ship in question is the TF 2000? :unsure:

DkikyOCW0AE3AEc-1024x453_auto_x2-removebg-preview.png

Spook

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Turkey
Why not before than TF-2000?

Made assumption based on news, rumors, upgrades, dates of new Milgem phases and planning not being as smooth for variety of reasons. I should not forget things changed. TF-200 can be projectized a lot sooner than TF-2000. I very hope so that it happens. Excellent news if true

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,685
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
PAK/TR will codevelop a new ship based on proven Milgem design in the scope of the Pakistan Milgem project. Pakistan will gain the knowledge of designing and developing advanced warships. The rights of the end product will be owned by Pakistan and Turkiye together. The new ship will be a heavy frigate and starting from the 5th ship Pakistan will construct this ship rather than Milgem. I expect Pakistan to construct 3 more ships of the new design. In total Pakistan to produce 4 Milgem+4 Jinnah class? heavy frigate. Pakistan will select the subsystems according to PN needs but rotating type Turkish AESA radar CENK-S that replaces Smart-S Mk2, Turkish national VLS MDAS, and long-range air defense missile Siper will be available for that platform if PN wishes to put them on their vessels. Depending on the pace of the project I expect the first steel cutting to happen in 2024 or 2025.

Bilal Khan(Quwa) 

Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
3 228
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
Pakistan
PAK/TR will codevelop a new ship based on proven Milgem design in the scope of the Pakistan Milgem project. Pakistan will gain the knowledge of designing and developing advanced warships. The rights of the end product will be owned by Pakistan and Turkiye together. The new ship will be a heavy frigate and starting from the 5th ship Pakistan will construct this ship rather than Milgem. I expect Pakistan to construct 3 more ships of the new design. In total Pakistan to produce 4 Milgem+4 Jinnah class? heavy frigate. Pakistan will select the subsystems according to PN needs but rotating type Turkish AESA radar CENK-S that replaces Smart-S Mk2, Turkish national VLS MDAS, and long-range air defense missile Siper will be available for that platform if PN wishes to put them on their vessels. Depending on the pace of the project I expect the first steel cutting to happen in 2024 or 2025.

Overall, the PN said it wants around 20 'major surface vessels.'

Based on current ships and plans -- i.e., 4 F-22P, 4 Type 054A/P, and 4 MILGEM -- it has around 12 on the roadmap.

It's possible they could fill out the remaining 6 ships with the Jinnah-class FFG, but bear in mind, from 2030 the oldest F-22P will be around 20 years old and from 2040, those ships will be 30 years of age. Though the PN will upgrade the sensors and electronics, I don't know if they'll invest significantly in them and, instead, focus on building replacements by 2040.

In this case, the actual long-term frigate requirement could be 10-12 ships.

This would also make sense of why the PN is investing in designing a local frigate and owning its IP. Even though they'll still use COTS for all of the critical inputs, the cost and effort of design, development, integration and testing is still significant. It's always easier to buy off the shelf.

Whatever the design of the Jinnah-class FFG, I suspect the PN could be thinking of building 10-12 ships of this class by 2040. If this is the case, then I think we will see multiple variants of this ship. So, while all of them may be large tonnage vessels (e.g., 5,000+ tons), I think 8 could be 'baseline' with AShW, ASW and a medium-range AAW (e.g., CAMM-ER), while 4 could be long-range AAW-capable.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,685
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
PN may want to have a look at or even want to be a partner of TF-2000 AAW destroyer for future AAW needs. 2040 is far in the future. IMHO when I looked at PN, 4 Jinnah class ships will be constructed by 2030 on top of the 4 PN Milgems, and probably 4 more Jinnah class and 4 AAW ships of some kind will be planned for the 2030-2040 period. IMHO this looks like the minimum amount of surface vessels PN wants.

2020-2030
4 F-22P
4 Type 054A/P
4 Milgem
4 Jinnah Class
Total=16

2030-2040
4 Type 054A/P
4 Milgem
4 Jinnah Class
4 additional Jinnah Class
4 Next-generation AAW
Total=20 (If F-22Ps would be decommissioned by 2040, if upgraded total 24 )

Bilal Khan(Quwa) 

Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
3 228
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Seriously, with so many surface combatants, I wonder, is the PN dreaming of an aircraft carrier one day?

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom