Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,731
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
US Congress signals openness to Turkey F-16 sale amid Ukraine cooperation.
Shit....I really wanted them to refuse since this will mean that Turkey will have an excuse to fully modernise all of its jets with indigenous means

I really wonder that if the deal is approved, when will Turkey get the F16s? By 2030 maybe..... at that point, what is the use since the TFX would have already been commissioned

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,004
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Shit....I really wanted them to refuse since this will mean that Turkey will have an excuse to fully modernise all of its jets with indigenous means

I really wonder that if the deal is approved, when will Turkey get the F16s? By 2030 maybe..... at that point, what is the use since the TFX would have already been commissioned

Tfx, f16 and the f35

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,731
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
Tfx, f16 and the f35
By that point, what is the use of the F16V? TFX would be better as Turiey can equip it with its weapons whenever it likes without having to send them to the US to be accepted into the F16's software. If at that point, Turkey used its F16s it would be a waste of money as the TFX would be better and drones like MIUS etc can fullfill the mundane roles that the F16 used to perform at a cheaper price and more effectively

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,004
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
By that point, what is the use of the F16V? TFX would be better as Turiey can equip it with its weapons whenever it likes without having to send them to the US to be accepted into the F16's software. If at that point, Turkey used its F16s it would be a waste of money as the TFX would be better and drones like MIUS etc can fullfill the mundane roles that the F16 used to perform at a cheaper price and more effectively

F16 still has lots of decades left in them.

Brokengineer

Committed member
Reactions
1 480
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Turkey has ability to manufacture and assemble most of f16 parts.
Turkey has ability to integrate turkish weapons to us made plane.
F16 in viper configuration is still a contemporary fighter especially compared to russian and chinese counterparts.
F35 is not a reliable option for in the context of US-TR relationship.
TFX is still on a spec sheet. expecting it to be opeational fighter in 2030 is i think beyond optimism. Just consider that rafale made its maiden flight in 1986, become operational in 2000, became a matured platform with block f3. We are talking about this process for French defense sector which is more advanced compared to ours.
F16v's is single most cost effective option by far.

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,859
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
I see a lot of people saying TAI could upgrade the 80 F-16 with kits form Lockheed but can TAI actually do it? Not based on expertise or capabilities but purely on room, workforce and time.

TAI right now is managing several projects many of which are or already have progressed into production.

TF-X will soon enter the production lane for its prototypes. Hürjet already has.
Then you have T-625 Gökbey soon entering LRIP, T-70 has enter production too.

T-929 will enter production next year most likely.

Anka, Aksungur and T-129 are in serial production.

Production of the 40 Block 70 is impossible as it is with the amount of work TAI has going.

Upgrading the 80 Aircraft could take longer than anticipated as TAI most likely won’t be able to share the needed Menpower and room.

I_Love_F16

Contributor
France Correspondent
Reactions
10 1,520
Nation of residence
France
Nation of origin
France
Turkey has ability to manufacture and assemble most of f16 parts.
Turkey has ability to integrate turkish weapons to us made plane.
F16 in viper configuration is still a contemporary fighter especially compared to russian and chinese counterparts.
F35 is not a reliable option for in the context of US-TR relationship.
TFX is still on a spec sheet. expecting it to be opeational fighter in 2030 is i think beyond optimism. Just consider that rafale made its maiden flight in 1986, become operational in 2000, became a matured platform with block f3. We are talking about this process for French defense sector which is more advanced compared to ours.
F16v's is single most cost effective option by far.

You said it. I think the main reason why they still want to buy F-16 from LM is because they know the TF-X would not be operational in 2030. At least not mature enough to be used to it’s full capability.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,155
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
We are only a couple of years away from seeing what we are made of with TB3, Kızıl Elma, Atak2, Hürjet and TFX coming online. As soon as the planes show their basic performance we are on our way to medals.

Oublious

Experienced member
The Netherlands Correspondent
Reactions
7 4,326
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
We will replace more then 40 F-4 Terminator with the newer F16. I hope they still operate the F4 as a test fighter after the F-16 project.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,051
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
I see this F16 deal also as a political mission, to close the F35 chapter and to move on for both countries. See it as a peace offering from Ankara to Washington.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,155
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I see this F16 deal also as a political mission, to close the F35 chapter and to move on for both countries. See it as a peace offering from Ankara to Washington.
Seems like you have non public information or total BS.

kenny

Committed member
Reactions
1 875
Nation of residence
Japan
Nation of origin
Turkey
At first we wanted F15. America wanted to sell it, but it imposed very heavy conditions, so both sides agreed on the F-16.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
112 14,718
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
What stage is Özgür project at right now?
As far as I know, all avionic upgrades have been completed. It is waiting for the indigenous Aesa radar, which should be ready for trials sometime this year.
One plane has been furnished with all the upgrades -apart from Aesa radar- and has flown as a prototype.
Although it will be the block 30 planes that will receive Ozgur upgrades first, there is no sign about this happening. Currently the block 30 planes are undergoing structural upgrades to extend their operational life. Ideally it would be the logical move to start applying the Ozgur upgrades to these planes. But somehow the SSB has been reluctant to push the button on, for this process.
Either they are waiting for the Aesa radar to be ready, or there are covenants within the F16 contract that prevents us from tampering with them at this level.

Tonyukuk

Reactions
1 973
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Kazakhstan
If MİUS enters production by next year, would we even need new F16s? As serious power's move to 5th gen jets, it feels like this purchase is rather pointless. Sure F16s are still great. But this kind of resembles Greece's purchase of Rafale's. A descion out of desperation. Long term, I think it's a waste.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,155
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I stated my opinion, not facts.

When I post facts, you'll notice, because I usually provide sources.
My opinions are based on information and I thought others' would be the same.

Top Bottom