Contributor
France Correspondent
Reactions
10 1,595
Nation of residence
France
Nation of origin
France
STOBAR is doable. It requires arrest wires this is for sure. Catapult is necessary if Navy wants certain capabilities on landing-take off intervals.

Yeah but wouldn’t stobar severely limit the capability of the jet ? Then what would be the purpose of having a jet on a ship if you can barely add any payload to it ?

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
127 15,301
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
I agree that it is doable with STOBAR. With only 10 planes capacity in it’s hangars, the ship doesn’t really need much. The only problems are;
The back of the ship having a recess and a lift that detracts from total usable runway length.
And the destruction of perfectly good deck that has special material covering to withstand F35 exhaust heat.
Why should stobar limit anything? If you do your calculations right and design the plane accordingly, then it is doable. It seems that the airframe is changed already. The wing area is increased to give better lift. My only reservation is the engine. 17700lbf thrust may not give enough juice to operate under full load. But in the years to come an engine like f414 with 22000lbf thrust, can sort all this out.
The main question anybody asking should be; Is it worth to do all this and build a handful of planes to use it on this ship? Is it not more logical to concentrate on MIUS and do the necessary changes on this ship to accommodate large number of MIUS?

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,229
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
TB3 and MIUS configuration is enough for Turkey. A naval Hurjet is waste of resources. Turkey needs to use its resources elsewhere, you have a lot of crucial projects already.

Hasanrize

Committed member
Reactions
1 509
Nation of residence
Finland
Nation of origin
Turkey
THIS AIRCRAFT WILL ALSO HAVE 3 DIFFERENT MODELS AND WE ARE SURE THAT THE ATTACK MODEL CAN CARRY AT LEAST 3 TONS OF AMMUNITION. Understand this first.
a more recent video. It is clearly stated here that the aircraft will carry 3 tons of ammunition for now.
The video showed it as 2721 kg, it also shows that the Korean guy was right about that. She said 3 tons, it is obvious that she rounded 2721 kg to 3 tons. Also, the same video showed wing areas as 24 m2 and 258,3 ft2. It is all between 0.58 to 1.06.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,264
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The video showed it as 2721 kg, it also shows that the Korean guy was right about that. She said 3 tons, it is obvious that she rounded 2721 kg to 3 tons. Also, the same video showed wing areas as 24 m2 and 258,3 ft2. It is all between 0.58 to 1.06.
It is 6000 libres for one of the initial configurations.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,264
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
A short take off plane can take off from short air trips.
Let's say your airports are damaged somehow or you want to launch from unknown locations.
Moreover, if one day a countermeasure acquires the capability of taking out unmanned planes we will need manned versions.

Last edited:

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 14,012
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Hurjet naval makes sense with advanced miniature munitions, missiles and GaN-based small but high-performance sensors.

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
31 5,067
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Hurjet naval makes sense with advanced miniature munitions, missiles and GaN-based small but high-performance sensors.
Speaking of GaN based radars, have any AESA radar been integrated to the AKINCI yet? I remember there were news saying that integration began but it's been a few months and we've not heard anything about it since.

Cenkcnk

Committed member
Reactions
1 385
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Some sources say that f-16 sale will be made under some conditions like we must guarantee not to violate greek airspace.
under these kind of of conditions, we should not buy even a rivet from the US

Brokengineer

Committed member
Reactions
1 480
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is really time to diversify the TurAF fleet from American fighters like UAE did by ordering rafale. Our options could be Typhoon. Its too much dependence on one country.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,264
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is only months before we learn what Kızılelma can do for us.
If things go as expected it is no more that we need somebody else's fighters.

Hasanrize

Committed member
Reactions
1 509
Nation of residence
Finland
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is really time to diversify the TurAF fleet from American fighters like UAE did by ordering rafale. Our options could be Typhoon. Its too much dependence on one country.
I hope you do not think France will sell Rafale to Turkey. Typhoons could be an option, but Germany is part of the EF consortium.

Hasanrize

Committed member
Reactions
1 509
Nation of residence
Finland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Some sources say that f-16 sale will be made under some conditions like we must guarantee not to violate greek airspace.
under these kind of of conditions, we should not buy even a rivet from the US
That would be shooting to their own leg for the USA. It just put extra law for weapon sales and can affect many other countries, including Greece, since they, too, making airspace violations. Not saying the USA won't be able to sell anything, but it would be a tremendous headache for them when one country tries to cancel weapon sales to another country via the supreme court. It is just so much for Pentagon to stomach, just to appease some congressman lobbied by Greece.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
8 3,850
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
That would be shooting to their own leg for the USA. It just put extra law for weapon sales and can affect many other countries, including Greece, since they, too, making airspace violations. Not saying the USA won't be able to sell anything, but it would be a tremendous headache for them when one country tries to cancel weapon sales to another country via the supreme court. It is just so much for Pentagon to stomach, just to appease some congressman lobbied by Greece.
i stlil have my doubts. especially bcuz that slimy Menendez is STILL saying no.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
127 15,301
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
It looks like some of the anti Turkish lobby and campaigners are asking new conditions to be attached to the sale of f16s .
They may want guarantees from US administration as to how they will stop Turkey from so called airspace violations.
I have a feeling that US may be trying to sell us these 40 new planes and the 80 upgrade kits to stop us from upgrading bulk of our F16s to Ozgur status and keep us under check.
I hope we won’t give in too much to US demands and carry on with the Ozgur modernisation in to Blocks 30s and 40s.

Tonyukuk

Reactions
2 1,041
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Kazakhstan

If Kızılelma is ready in time, I don't think we will need a stop gap solution. We could keep current F16s + Kızılelma until TFX is ready. I feel like getting more 4th gen fighters is unnecessary. But of course, time matters.

Last edited:

Brokengineer

Committed member
Reactions
1 480
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I hope you do not think France will sell Rafale to Turkey. Typhoons could be an option, but Germany is part of the EF consortium.
Of course, i do not expect that happen. Typhoon seems to be only alternative.

Guys, do not put so much emphasis on kizilelma as an alternative.
May be a generation later ,something with 20000lbf capable engine(s), mach 1,6+, 5000kg payload and rotary cannon, interceptor drone would work in aegean.

Last edited:

Hasanrize

Committed member
Reactions
1 509
Nation of residence
Finland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Of course, i do not expect that happen. Typhoon seems to be only alternative.

Guys, do not put so much emphasis on kizilelma as an alternative.
May be a generation later ,something with 20000lbf capable engine(s), mach 1,6+, 5000kg payload and rotary cannon, interceptor drone would work in aegean.
The problem with Kızılelma is not the specifications. If we can make TF-X, that means we can make a drone with similar specifications; in the end, the drone is a fighter minus a man in it.

However, it needs artificial intelligence with near human capability. It will generate so much data from its sensors which is difficult to transmit to do ground entirely in real-time. So artificial intelligence then has to make decisions by itself. How it will engage? How will it distinguish a standard dick-measuring dog fight in Aegean from the real fight? What happens if it decides to shut down Greek Rafale? What happens if it calculates a passenger Boeing 737 as an enemy bomber?

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom