Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,562
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Really? But I saw a few HÜRKUŞ flying in the last TEKNOFEST?
For some reason THK doesn't really want Hürkuş, mostly because it is more focused on NOT replacing the KT-1, command just wanted a KT-1 "copy" while TAI delivered something pretty different, now TAI develops Hürkus 2 with being more focused on making it a training aircraft, already produced Hürkuş are being sold to other countries

urban mine

Committed member
Reactions
10 439
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
For some reason THK doesn't really want Hürkuş, mostly because it is more focused on NOT replacing the KT-1, command just wanted a KT-1 "copy" while TAI delivered something pretty different, now TAI develops Hürkus 2 with being more focused on making it a training aircraft, already produced Hürkuş are being sold to other countries
KT-1 was criticized for its poor performance compared to turbo-prop aircraft such as PC-21 in Korea, so I thought the development of Hürkus was reasonable.
Can I find a mock-up or modeling for Hürkus 2?

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,877
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
KT-1 was criticized for its poor performance compared to turbo-prop aircraft such as PC-21 in Korea, so I thought the development of Hürkus was reasonable.

TAI in essence ignored the input made by the TurAF in regards to the project. So TurAF said they will not induct an aircraft which is not built to their requirments. For some reason TAI thought TurAF would just order Hürküs as it is even though the aircraft has not been developed to suit their needs. And with the KT-1 still being fine for basic training Hürküs was ignored.

Hürküs-2 is being developed accoring to what the TurAF wants and needs.

No. Accoring to latest statements the project is still in its design phase. If I remember the statement made correctly they are at the Critical Design review right now.

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Most pointless procurement ever

The point of it is actually much deeper then you realise. Turkey, Pakistan, Qatar and Azerbaijan are standardising their primary air force training. All four countries will operate the same aircraft and exchange students. Hurkus-II is to become standardised among all four countries as well for basic training, hence why it's being further developed to meet all four countries requirements.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,735
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
İf we have Özgür modernization capacity why should we buy modernization kits from USA?
The main reason the gov is buying new kits from USA is to compensate the money lost in buying the F35s. The gov wanted the billions it spent on the F35 after they were kicked out of the program; however, the US refused to give the money back to Turkey. This made the gov furious and apparently they wanted to take it to court or whatever and as a compromise the Biden administration told Erdo to buy F16 modernisation kits with the money he spent on the F35

That is the case as far as I know

Baryshx

Contributor
Reactions
8 2,038
Website
www.twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
From the interview in September;

TUSAŞ Aircraft Deputy General Manager Atilla Doğan said that the air-ground integration aircraft version of Hürkuş will be delivered to the Turkish Armed Forces in the near future.

Doğan said, "An improvement activity, which we call Hürkuş-2, continues in parallel. We have completed the critical design process. It is progressing in its own medium."

Hasanrize

Committed member
Reactions
1 509
Nation of residence
Finland
Nation of origin
Turkey
We don't know why Hürkuş couldn't enter the service. TUSAŞ projects are continuing with a minimal level of transparency. Even the reasons behind the Hürkuş accident remained a secret.

There are just speculations, and this secrecy does not help at all. But seem like the aircraft's performance is too much for the trainer role, and there are much cheaper alternatives for light attack missions. This would result from a lack of coordination between TUSAŞ and THKK. Nothing we can do about it now except for hoping not to repeat the same mistakes in Hürjet or MMU, whatever the reason is.

Tornadoss

Contributor
Reactions
4 2,534
Nation of residence
Czechia
Nation of origin
Turkey
The point of it is actually much deeper then you realise. Turkey, Pakistan, Qatar and Azerbaijan are standardising their primary air force training. All four countries will operate the same aircraft and exchange students. Hurkus-II is to become standardised among all four countries as well for basic training, hence why it's being further developed to meet all four countries requirements.
What I read before was this aircraft is not suitable for trainees that are just been introduced to flying.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
116 14,897
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Aselsan said months ago that it had delivered the Aesa radar. I shared it in the video, if there is a problem or delay, it is the responsibility of Tusaş and the test team. Or the tests continue in their normal course, this is the procedure. This is also a long process.
Yes apparently, the Aesa radar developed by Aselsan was delivered to be integrated on to a platform for testing according to news published on 11th August 2022. According to the same news piece, I Demir had mentioned that it would be flying, fitted to Akinci within this year.
As you rightfully pointed out the testing process is a long process in it self. But we are running out of time for the Aesa radars for our Özgür status F16s.

On the subject of TuAF’s urgent need of new planes, we had discussed the prospective typhoon purchases. All these delays makes it more important to have a squadron or two of planes that are loaded with good Aesa radar and modern air to air missiles like Meteor.
On the subject of Aesa radar of British Typhoons, BAE Systems and Leonardo UK have developed a totally new radar that would fit in to the fairly large nose of the typhoon. It is called the ECRS-Mk2.
The ECRS-Mk1 is being provided to Germany and Spain. But this new Aesa radar is being prepped for Tempest in mind for UK and Italy. BAE Systems and Leonardo UK claim that this is the most powerful and versatile Aesa radar that is being used by any fighter jet around. It has a Hybrid TRM structure with GaAs and GaN modules, using each of their advantages to the maximum. It is also used for electronic attack on your enemy’s radar. Due to it’s incredibly long range, it will be able to notice and attack enemy without getting near enemy weapons’ range.
UK plans to fit these to tranche-2 jets as well. If we can have the Tranche-1 planes with these radars as well, that alone is worth spending almost a plane’s worth of money on them.
Should we go for these planes we must insist on this radar.

1665869451024.jpeg

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
116 14,897
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Just listened to retired Air Pilot General Karakus on a TV program.
According to what he says, TuAF is contemplating keeping the 54 F4 phantom Terminators until 2040s by renovating them further.
Since through Terminator 2020 modernisation it’s engines were upgraded to give 2.5 Mach maximum speed, a new radar fitted and planes’ weight reduced by 750kg to make it more agile. Hence these planes’ performance levels have become more akin to the first examples of f15 planes. They can go really high - 18000m. and carry more payload and are faster than even f16s.
With modern avionics and BVR weapons they can hold their own as viable fighting machines and dependable platforms for heavy weapons delivery.
If the ageing body and structural shortcomings are addressed, like what was done to block 30 f16s, it may be possible to use them for longer.
But in all honesty, I can’t see them lasting much longer when we are talking about Typhoon purchases to replace them.

Fuzuli NL

Experienced member
Germany Correspondent
Reactions
20 8,312
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Just listened to retired Air Pilot General Karakus on a TV program.
According to what he says, TuAF is contemplating keeping the 54 F4 phantom Terminators until 2040s by renovating them further.
Since through Terminator 2020 modernisation it’s engines were upgraded to give 2.5 Mach maximum speed, a new radar fitted and planes’ weight reduced by 750kg to make it more agile. Hence these planes’ performance levels have become more akin to the first examples of f15 planes. They can go really high - 18000m. and carry more payload and are faster than even f16s.
With modern avionics and BVR weapons they can hold their own as viable fighting machines and dependable platforms for heavy weapons delivery.
If the ageing body and structural shortcomings are addressed, like what was done to block 30 f16s, it may be possible to use them for longer.
But in all honesty, I can’t see them lasting much longer when we are talking about Typhoon purchases to replace them.
Is the last sentence your own opinion or were you quoting the General?

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
116 14,897
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Is the last sentence your own opinion or were you quoting the General?
My own opinion.
But from what the general was saying I can gather that desperation can push TuAF in to doing things that are out of the given confines of logic. If situation with Typhoon doesn‘t work out, he was trying to make a point that we are not without options.
It was the same general who few weeks ago was stating that we were negotiating for 120 Typhoons with the Brits in another TV program.

Last edited:

Fuzuli NL

Experienced member
Germany Correspondent
Reactions
20 8,312
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
My own opinion.
But from what the general was saying I can gather that desperation can push TuAF in to doing things that are out of the given confines of logic. If situation with Typhoon doesn‘t work out, he was trying to make a point that we are not without options.
It was the same general who few weeks ago was stating that we were negotiating for 120 Typhoons with the Brits in another TV program.
You're right.
It doesn't matter how long TurAF can keep the Phantoms operational, we need an injection of relatively more modern fighter aircraft.
Although I'm not a big fan of the Typhoon, I think a couple of squadrons won't be too bad given that we can integrate own systems/weapons to them.
I wish we could just get those F-16s and the mod kits.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom