Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The question is, is TEI manufacturing them domestically now or the casting is still sourced from aboard.

The aim of the “Development of Aluminum Casting Processes for Aviation (ASLAN) project” is to develop the aluminum engine block production processes and perform the necessary verification tests of the TEI-PD170 piston engine which is used in unmanned air vehicles. Within the scope of the project, A201 alloy engine block casting and machining processes will be realized with domestic capabilities for the indigenous unmanned air vehicle piston engine.

ASLAN project is supported by the Directorate of Defense Industry (SSB). Altun Döküm Sanayi A.Ş. is the main sub-contractor in the project and they will carry out process development and prototype manufacturing activities. The project has started in 2020 and will last for 46 months.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,755
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
In 10 years, not 15.
Üstad, I am still in favor of cautious forecasts. Don't jinx it. lol

The date of December 27, 2023, when Kaan will make its first flight, will already be remembered as the date of our ascent to the top league. Platforms such as KAAN, KE-II and ANKA-IV, Hurjet Naval will provide the capability demonstration in terms of the most advanced system. And all this will come to life within 10 years, as you say.

But the indispensable pillar of a complete and competent national aviation industry, right down to the capillaries, is civil aviation. The experience built up in the military field needs to move towards a civilian branding at a competitive level. For this, we need a lot of integrators, system engineering, design and test companies. Some of the leading capital structures for the country's industry need to enter the aviation field more strongly, not on the service side, but on the manufacturing and R&D side. I think this is the part that will take time, and this is also, as you know, a feature of the infrastructure of French aviation, which constitutes its unique national structure.

In our country, we have around 50 globally competent companies that supply systems/manufacturing parts to international aviation giants, spread across a wide range of production activities. We have very valuable clusters such as OSTIM/OSSA and aviation companies like jewels within these clusters. It is really ridiculous that the whole burden is on TAI's shoulders. At the moment, the main challenge for an enterprise that wants to produce airplanes in Turkiye is the costs of initial aircraft development, design and testing activities, but there are really incredible advantages, especially in terms of production planning. As a matter of fact, we have started to see some small initiatives, which currently involve the localization of already developed platforms through foreign acquisitions. There is a need for more, and for this, we need some 'babayiğits'. Esp the ones who have tripled even quintupled the size of their wealth in dollar terms in the last 5-10 years. Someone need to tell them, "you can't always take, enter more strategic sectors to give some of them back'

The revival of Kayseri TOMTAŞ is great news. But we need much more. For example, the narrow-body civil aircraft issue that we talked a lot last decade. This will not be a blessing, a private JV enterprise of considerable size (like TOGG, for example, or İGA) that sees this opportunity now could make an incredible fortune in the future. The automotive industry is not the only one undergoing huge changes, civil aviation is in the midst of major developments, and companies that see these new trends and technological breakthroughs in the near future will have their own special place among the giants.

Last edited:

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,612
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
and for this, we need some 'babayiğits'. Esp the ones who have tripled even quintupled the size of their wealth in dollar terms in the last 5-10 years. Someone need to tell them, "you can't always take, enter more strategic sectors to give some of them back'
This should apply to pretty much every sector imaginable. Cars, planes, chips, everything.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,755
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
This should apply to pretty much every sector imaginable. Cars, planes, chips, everything.
It certainly is. There are many important strategic areas. End-system and branding is only one side of it, but that is not even sole strategic issue. The government had very wrong monetary policies, and these mistakes were equally contaminated by the owners of capital who used monetary development as a tool of wealth, even though the conditions were very favorable during the same period. Many good things have happened. There have been very strategic investments, but we have not been able to realize our true potential.

IMO, Turkiye needs a new and very ambitious roadmap in strategic high-tech areas. In fact, this should be an extension of the medium-term economic program to be announced in September. The conjuncture is incredibly favorable for such an expansion from 2024 to the 2030s, and I hope we can act without delay this time.

Fuzuli NL

Experienced member
Germany Correspondent
Reactions
20 8,293
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
The aim of the “Development of Aluminum Casting Processes for Aviation (ASLAN) project” is to develop the aluminum engine block production processes and perform the necessary verification tests of the TEI-PD170 piston engine which is used in unmanned air vehicles. Within the scope of the project, A201 alloy engine block casting and machining processes will be realized with domestic capabilities for the indigenous unmanned air vehicle piston engine.

ASLAN project is supported by the Directorate of Defense Industry (SSB). Altun Döküm Sanayi A.Ş. is the main sub-contractor in the project and they will carry out process development and prototype manufacturing activities. The project has started in 2020 and will last for 46 months.

That means, depending on which month it has started in 2020, TEI will be gaining this capability in a year or two max.

AzeriTank

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,760
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
TAI seriously need to increase production capacity. They have a huge pipeline entering mass production as we speak and they need to adapt as an organization. They cannot continue as an research/prototype organization.
Temel Kotil said they make 5 Anka a month and 2 Aksungur a month(which he saod they will increase Alsungur production to Anka level soon) but where are those Anlas going to? To Turkish airforce and other customers probably.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,755
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
BAHA, an unmanned aerial vehicle developed under HAVELSAN's "digital troops" concept, achieved its first export success in Africa.
F186BuaXoAEa_aD
Operational integration illustration of tactical VTOL UAV BAHA and ÇAKA (DAY-KIDA)

All these are extensions of HAVELSAN's future warfare concept.

Edit: TCG Anadolu, as a whole concept, may be the closest ship to the concept of a real drone mothership. This is because we are addressing this issue not only on a carrier platform basis, but also on the basis of all subsystems and platforms from tactical up to strategic level.

Not US, Not France, but Turkiye. @Afif üstad, This does not mean that the relevant industrial areas in TR have the same depth or scale of resources as these centuries-old accumulations. But that is not the point here.

Last edited:

Quasar

Contributor
The Post Deleter
Reactions
34 2,568
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
With 3 ÇAKIR, it can probably operate in the same radius and flight profile. However, my dream is to see this machine flying with 5 ÇAKIRs. As missile truck of fighter jets.
totally agree with you especially at war time 5 ÇAKIRs i.e weapon payload should be and will be the priority even it means shorter endurance or lower altitude

-stand off saturation attack with a mixed package of 5 Çakırs :devilish:

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,755
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Anka 3 should have been flying by now. Did it test crash or something? What's the hold up?
I think the project is progressing as it should. We know that TAI has a test and verification backlog with very high standards. However, the project was declassified at the beginning of the year 'for obvious reasons' and the project was rushed ahead of its course. Especially in ground tests and the pre-first flight phase, TAI is not as aggressive as Baykar, for example.

Rooxbar

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
41 1,488
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
TUSAŞ representatives first stated that there was a problem with the breaking system (afaik), then they said that the problem was fixed. But later Temel Kotil, in an interview during IDEF, said that Anka 3 is causing us problems and hasn't been able to fly yet, hinting that there may be new problems.

Here's the part where he talks about Anka 3:

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
60 29,433
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Last year, I said that studies can be carried out in our country on absorbent materials against microwave weapons of microwave size. However, when I scanned the literature, I saw that a doctoral thesis was already written on the subject in 2014.

In the continuation publication of Dr. Mehmet Burak Kaynar in 2015, it was announced that the materials in question were superparamagnetic.

The article here says that superparamagnetic materials are one of the main components of RAM coatings.

F3HRPrsWsAI3_oE

F3HRE_YWoAACu3_

F3HRDKiXgAAzJZh

The company founded by Dr. Mehmet Burak Kaynar had already exhibited its low RCS values, low thermal trace, canopy and coating technologies at IDEF.

F3HSqdZWcAAgofV

F3HSsk3WMAML6qA

F3HSu1iXQAAQNsA

Canopy covering designs of our friends are also here

In the meantime, the company had a face-to-face meeting with Baykar Makine at the fair.

Dr. Mehmet Kaynar himself continues to work on radar absorbing materials.
We can say that our national RAM coating technology can now be used in KIZILELMA.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,767
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
With 3 ÇAKIR, it can probably operate in the same radius and flight profile. However, my dream is to see this machine flying with 5 ÇAKIRs. As missile truck of fighter jets.
I don't think 5 is realistic, I doubt hardpoints in outer wings can carry the weight of Çakır, especially with boosters. Akıncı always carries heavier stuff either under its fuselage or on the inner hardpoints (as far as I can remember) so I think, at most we can expect 3, which is still a lot of fire power.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,767
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
TUSAŞ representatives first stated that there was a problem with the breaking system (afaik), then they said that the problem was fixed. But later Temel Kotil, in an interview during IDEF, said that Anka 3 is causing us problems and hasn't been able to fly yet, hinting that there may be new problems.

Here's the part where he talks about Anka 3:
Not surprising, a flying wing is a completely different kind of beast to deal with.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,755
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don't think 5 is realistic, I doubt hardpoints in outer wings can carry the weight of Çakır, especially with boosters. Akıncı always carries heavier stuff either under its fuselage or on the inner hardpoints (as far as I can remember) so I think, at most we can expect 3, which is still a lot of fire power.
Üstadım, what I have written, as I have made clear, has no official basis, but is merely a wish. However, there are some fundamental grounds for this wish. AKINCI is not a completed aircraft development program. Still she is only halfway there. As a result of a certain road map as well as a Baykar PR policy, there are periodically demonstrations of capabilities that exceed the previously announced specs, one of which was a post in which AKINCI carried over 1.5 tonnes of ammunition and payload, as you know.

Even in the elephant walk that Baykar shared quite some time ago, 4 Mam-L and Mam-T were shown in the outer stations, which together with the pylons should correspond to a weight of over 200kg. In addition, as you may recall, in the IHA-230 firing tests, which were recorded as TR's first supersonic firing from UCAVs, munition was released from the outer pylon right next the engine. This would give an estimated weight of around 250kg with pylon, on single station.

As a side note, in the Baykar AKINCI documentary, one of the marketing discourses that they particularly underlined was the wing endurance tests of the aircraft, and it was emphasised several times that the aircraft was far above the strength structurally, to meet the requested specifications. There are already no problems with the Mk-82 type guidance kits and derivative ammunition types in the inner and underbody stations. We have even seen under the fuselage with ammunition twice as heavy.

Structurally, I have the idea that the pylon carrying the IHA-230 ammunition can also carry a ÇAKIR missile without boosters. If we can make progress in the third engine configuration, I don't think this will have a dramatic effect on the operational radius. In summary, AKINCI is a platform with a very high potential, and my view is just a small wish about where this potential can go.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,767
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Structurally, I have the idea that the pylon carrying the IHA-230 ammunition can also carry a ÇAKIR missile without boosters.
See, that is why I wrote as far as I can remember because I thought it had fired UAV-230 from an inner hardpoint, but if it was the outer one then you right and it should be able to carry a Çakır without boosters, they only have, what, 50 kgs of difference?

In summary, AKINCI is a platform with a very high potential, and my view is just a small wish about where this potential can go.
I completely agree with you on that one, its potential is absolutely huge and I hope it'll go a long way, and as you said 5 Çakır (or maybe 3 Çakır with 2 UAV-230?) would be amazing. It really has the potential to (at least) take over the duties of our F-16s against the terrorists, or at least alleviate the stress on them considerably.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom