Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,476
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Eh, I think LGB would be better for some missions.

F-117 was only ever shot down because it’s bomb bays were open for too long.
F-117 was not shot down because of the IWBs. Serbia radar detected it, EW support was not present at the sortie. F-117 was shot 3-4 times and each except 1 returned to base with minor or heavy damage

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,213
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
F-117 was not shot down because of the IWBs. Serbia radar detected it, EW support was not present at the sortie. F-117 was shot 3-4 times and each except 1 returned to base with minor or heavy damage
Americans were sloppy and kept using the same routes, and the Serbian radar detected it at 15 miles, and it was engaged at 5 miles when the weapon bays were open which is nothing to brag about.

Weather conditions didn’t let EW aircraft operate and Serbs knew that because of Italian spies.

Serbs had a perfect storm.

F-117 also had no countermeasures or electronic warfare systems of its own to protect itself from missiles.

Last edited:

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
57 28,360
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
When the F-117 was going to be shot down, the flight path was leaked to the Serbs by the French (I'm not sure if the French actually did it, but I have no doubt there was an inside intelligence leak). The Serbs also deployed an air defense system on the plane's route and began to wait. This was an operation that consisted entirely of chasing a pinpoint opportunity target with intelligence support.

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,476
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
When the F-117 was going to be shot down, the flight path was leaked to the Serbs by the French (I'm not sure if the French actually did it, but I have no doubt there was an inside intelligence leak). The Serbs also deployed an air defense system on the plane's route and began to wait. This was an operation that consisted entirely of chasing a pinpoint opportunity target with intelligence support.
Indeed, iirc Serbs got the plans by observing the movements and spying on either the french or Italians

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,213
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
Indeed, iirc Serbs got the plans by observing the movements and spying on either the french or Italians
I’m also pretty sure that the radar involved in the shoot down was a VHF band P-18 that can detect the F-117 at closer ranges than fighter jet radars or ground based radars operating in S band for example.

1679324692849.jpeg

F0679F6B-C4E2-4B44-83B0-1CF5B6181EFB.jpeg

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,795
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Serbs with f117 shot down believe they also shot down a B2.

But have shown no proof of it but the Serbs still insist that they shot one 🤣

Mehmed Ali

Contributor
Reactions
1 905
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Unique achievement of Serbs in that war . It never happened before that one army didn't kill a single soldier of enemy, then they surrendered 🤣

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom