Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
US Navy Chief : U.S. Cannot Outspend China, Must Use Allies To Counter

By Rich Abott |
10/15/2021
1000w_q95_gilday.ashx

While visiting India last week, the U.S. Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) said the U.S. must work with allies and partners to counter China’s growing military capabilities because it cannot outspend China.

In response to an Indian media conference call asking about how the U.S. will address China’s increasing military capabilities and potential in the region, CNO Adm. Mike Gilday on Oct. 12 said the key is focusing on asymmetric advantages of allies and partners.

“So the key piece here is allies and partners, right? And so we are not going to outspend China. And so where do we focus on key capabilities that we think are most important as a nation, number one. And so I don’t want to get into specifics on where those investments are, but it’s focused investments that we have to be concerned about ourselves to make sure that our own national interests are sufficiently protected,” he told reporters.

“But secondly, the real asymmetric advantage – and I want to underscore asymmetric advantage – that the United States has is with its partners and allies, not only in the region and globally, but India is a supreme example of that, of a partner that we have common interests…and that in a tangible way our navies can come together to protect those interests, and to cover down on gaps that we each might have in capabilities in order to make us stronger against not just one particular nation, but anybody that wants to interrupt a free and open Indo-Pacific,” Gilday continued.

The CNO argued that since World War II and the post-war international framework, navies have been a major part of maintaining security on the seas.

“And that security has led to prosperity for billions. You know, I like to say that the global economy floats on seawater. And so the Indian Ocean I just talked about with factors and figures of the importance of it to everybody, not just – not just to the United States, not just India, not just the people of New Delhi or Washington, D.C., but around the globe.”

Gilday participated in the media call during a five day trip to India where he met with Indian government and navy officials.

Separately, he hosted 12 Indian Navy officers aboard the USS Carl Vinson on Oct. 14 during the MALABAR Phase II Exercise. Visitors included Indian Chief of Naval Staff Adm. Karambir Singh and, Commander in Chief, Eastern Naval Command, Vice Adm. A.B. Singh.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
In other words, US needs lackeys and cannon fodders to take on China.

微信图片_20211016214202.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackbeardsgoldfish

Committed member
Germany Moderator
Reactions
1 458
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Austria
Not quite sure why you'd use that picture. Finland, Sweden, Ireland, Switzerland and Austria aren't part of NATO and have no obligation to fight for the US, Germany has no desire to choose sides in a conflict between China and USA, the submarine deal has severely snubbed France and I doubt that they'll forget it so soon, and Canada is in a similar spot as Germany. Not that I'd disagree with the sentiment, but the picture is just a bad choice.

HTurk

Contributor
Reactions
1 1,203
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
US Navy Chief : U.S. Cannot Outspend China, Must Use Allies To Counter

By Rich Abott |
10/15/2021
1000w_q95_gilday.ashx

While visiting India last week, the U.S. Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) said the U.S. must work with allies and partners to counter China’s growing military capabilities because it cannot outspend China.

In response to an Indian media conference call asking about how the U.S. will address China’s increasing military capabilities and potential in the region, CNO Adm. Mike Gilday on Oct. 12 said the key is focusing on asymmetric advantages of allies and partners.

“So the key piece here is allies and partners, right? And so we are not going to outspend China. And so where do we focus on key capabilities that we think are most important as a nation, number one. And so I don’t want to get into specifics on where those investments are, but it’s focused investments that we have to be concerned about ourselves to make sure that our own national interests are sufficiently protected,” he told reporters.

“But secondly, the real asymmetric advantage – and I want to underscore asymmetric advantage – that the United States has is with its partners and allies, not only in the region and globally, but India is a supreme example of that, of a partner that we have common interests…and that in a tangible way our navies can come together to protect those interests, and to cover down on gaps that we each might have in capabilities in order to make us stronger against not just one particular nation, but anybody that wants to interrupt a free and open Indo-Pacific,” Gilday continued.

The CNO argued that since World War II and the post-war international framework, navies have been a major part of maintaining security on the seas.

“And that security has led to prosperity for billions. You know, I like to say that the global economy floats on seawater. And so the Indian Ocean I just talked about with factors and figures of the importance of it to everybody, not just – not just to the United States, not just India, not just the people of New Delhi or Washington, D.C., but around the globe.”

Gilday participated in the media call during a five day trip to India where he met with Indian government and navy officials.

Separately, he hosted 12 Indian Navy officers aboard the USS Carl Vinson on Oct. 14 during the MALABAR Phase II Exercise. Visitors included Indian Chief of Naval Staff Adm. Karambir Singh and, Commander in Chief, Eastern Naval Command, Vice Adm. A.B. Singh.

Factually wrong statement. The US could 'outspend' China but they simply don't want to. Sharing the burden makes much more sense. I would say the same if I were the US.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Factually wrong statement. The US could 'outspend' China but they simply don't want to. Sharing the burden makes much more sense. I would say the same if I were the US.
They can't cause the cost in US is much higher in US for everything. and China's GDP, even in nominal, poses to overtake US in this decade, how can they outspend China? Even in US strength, which is navy, China now can easily outbuild US.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,099
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
The US already outspend China, now add Japan proposed $100B budget and other QUAD or AUKUS military budget.

China will face the dilema imperial Germany faces in the 1900s, a fast tilting balance in favor of its foe.

the US is smart to employ allies, that is how it should be done, but make no mistake, the US alone could handle China.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
The US already outspend China, now add Japan proposed $100B budget and other QUAD or AUKUS military budget.

China will face the dilema imperial Germany faces in the 1900s, a fast tilting balance in favor of its foe.

the US is smart to employ allies, that is how it should be done, but make no mistake, the US alone could handle China.
Then why US military chief said US can't outspend China and US navy can't outbuild China? Who should I believe? You or them?

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,099
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Then why US military chief said US can't outspend China and US navy can't outbuild China? Who should I believe? You or them?

He mentioned it to justify more defense spending and in line with US multilateral approach in handling China.

OTOH
0053_defense_comparison-full.gif

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
He mentioned it to justify more defense spending and in line with US multilateral approach in handling China.

OTOH
0053_defense_comparison-full.gif
In absolute number, yes, but everything cost much higher in US than it is in China. And US pays a lot salary money and overseas bases , foreign wars...even US now realise it's unsustainable, but it's too late, once they lose the economy war, everything will be over with it.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,099
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Americans, they think we'll win. We are not as sure as them. we prefer wait and see.

yes, good luck trying to beat the US economically while :

1. Having shit demography
2. Xi Jinping cracking down on capitalist entity and propping up state enterprise
3. Trade barriers by the US and EU
4. increasingly antagonistic relationship with major world economies.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
yes, good luck trying to beat the US economically while :

1. Having shit demography
2. Xi Jinping cracking down on capitalist entity and propping up state enterprise
3. Trade barriers by the US and EU
4. increasingly antagonistic relationship with major world economies.
Tell me why a couple of years ago most Americans saw US the leading economy in the world and now they see China holding this title? cause they see more trouble on their part than they see in China.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,099
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Tell me why a couple of years ago most Americans saw US the leading economy in the world and now they see China holding this title? cause they see more trouble on their part than they see in China.
no they don't . Some believe China will surpasses the US because free thinking and speech is part of their culture

on the other hand the US media knows China is in trouble.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,099
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Many people write many reports, some say by 2026, some say 2029, some say 2035, some say never... we'll see.
When it's contrary to your whims, you choose to ignore this reports, but some Americans saying China will surpass the US and you take it as gospel.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
care to share ???

otoh, China will not surpass the USA, not with the current situation.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
When it's contrary to your whims, you choose to ignore this reports, but some Americans saying China will surpass the US and you take it as gospel.
I didn't ignore it or support it, I pointed out there are many contradicting analysis, but the majority see China would overtake US in a decade or so, but of course not everyone agree, check out the poll.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom