Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
can someone enlighten me what Taliban can give to China and Russia in return for the several billion dollar in aid and investment they want
Since they are not asking your dollars as you have not even been invited the answer to your Q is that is something China and Russia know.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,406
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Hmm can someone enlighten me what Taliban can give to China and Russia in return for the several billion dollar in aid and investment they want from them without which there will be an economic collapse of the Afghan economy?
mainly security, they would want a cooperating Kabul admin. For China it would want access for the BRI.

but overall nothing.

sarthak

Reactions
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
Th
mainly security, they would want a cooperating Kabul admin. For China it would want access for the BRI.

but overall nothing.
It absolutely isn’t worth spending 8 billion dollars a year in aid that afghans will need to continue to maintain their current standard of living for that it will cheaper and more pragmatic for China to cut off its land routes to Afghanistan for now. I don’t think Chinese investment and aid will even go above 100 million in next year.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,406
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Th

It absolutely isn’t worth spending 8 billion dollars a year in aid that afghans will need to continue to maintain their current standard of living for that it will cheaper and more pragmatic for China to cut off its land routes to Afghanistan for now. I don’t think Chinese investment and aid will even go above 100 million in next year.
eh. Who told you they'll spend those exact numbers of money anyway ???

If China let the Taliban run the country into bankruptcy, it will be a fertile ground for militants, everybody WILL suddenly want to be part of jihad.

I'd say China will finance the country not to the point of prosperity, but enough to avoid the country falling into another Somalia like gang-land. China will need what money it have to compete with the US elsewhere particularly the more strategic EU and ASEAN+Indo-Pacific theater.

sarthak

Reactions
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
For China it would want access for the BRI.

na man u seriously expect Taliban to be able to protect BRI projects with is-k on the rise China is bypassing it mainly through Pakistan, Iran and other central Asian stans I haven’t heard of any Chinese project in Afghanistan. There are not even paved roads in Afghanistan the cost of any development is simply stupid to be worthwhile from any economic point of view and Afghanistan isn’t worth billions of dollar from a geopolitical Point of view

sarthak

Reactions
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
eh. Who told you they'll spend those exact numbers of money anyway ???

If China let the Taliban run the country into bankruptcy, it will be a fertile ground for militants, everybody WILL suddenly want to be part of jihad.

I'd say China will finance the country not to the point of prosperity, but enough to avoid the country falling into another Somalia like gang-land. China will need what money it have to compete with the US elsewhere particularly the more strategic EU and ASEAN+Indo-Pacific theater.
As I see it it’s another Myanmar junta in the making strong dictatorship, cut off from outside world, isolated , poor with a foreign supporter providing just enough to prevent collapse

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,406
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
na man u seriously expect Taliban to be able to protect BRI projects with is-k on the rise China is bypassing it mainly through Pakistan, Iran and other central Asian stans I haven’t heard of any Chinese project in Afghanistan. There are not even paved roads in Afghanistan the cost of any development is simply stupid to be worthwhile from any economic point of view and Afghanistan isn’t worth billions of dollar from a geopolitical Point of view
for the time being??? YES Absolutely

for the long term??? umm, 70/30 split

anyway, I don't think many islamists in Taliban ranks would be comfortable guarding atheist Chinese workers exploiting Afghan riches while knowing their muslim brothers and sisters are incarcerated en masse in nearby Xinjiang. Rogue elements and attacks is expected. and I'm not yet talking about ISKP.

in the world of int'l jihad, China is just as hated as Israel, India and the US anyway. If China isn't safe in nearby Pakistan, the bet of not being targeted in Afghanistan is lower.

now the irony is the Taliban will have to do the counter insurgency safeguarding those roads and infrastructure.:giggle:

LegioXLupus

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Hmm can someone enlighten me what Taliban can give to China and Russia in return for the several billion dollar in aid and investment they want from them without which there will be an economic collapse of the Afghan economy?

Security, Belt Road, small market, Chinafication, regional block, keep other competitors out, whitewash crimes against Uyghurs like the southern neighbour. Even better an actual "Islamic state" doing its bidding.

sarthak

Reactions
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
Security, Belt Road, small market, Chinafication, regional block, keep other competitors out, whitewash crimes against Uyghurs like the southern neighbour. Even better an actual "Islamic state" doing its bidding.
China won’t pay a single penny above of what it can make back in money or geopolitical heft. Afghanistan isn’t worth the aid it had been receiving all these years and economic fall is inevitable if not a complete collapse.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,406
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
As I see it it’s another Myanmar junta in the making strong dictatorship, cut off from outside world, isolated , poor with a foreign supporter providing just enough to prevent collapse

from what I observe, the Taliban is not as corrupt as the Myanmar govt, in fact they're far more superior in accountability compared to the ANA.

As for isolated, we'll have to wait and see, currently there are 6 iirc that are otw to recognize Taliban, as I've mentioned here before, those country are a boost to Taliban legitimacy as well as their ability to do day to day affairs running the state, but what I question since long time ago is how much benefit for this country will the Taliban give.

as for those Afghanistan sitting on a trillion dollar mineral hype, don't count on it. Ask yourself how many nation prosper by mineral wealth?? in fact it's usually the contrary. have you ever seen the movie blood diamond???

or watch closely how Indonesia's Papua region are backwards despite having a mountain of goldmine and East Timor are dirt poor despite sitting on an abundance of oil

sarthak

Reactions
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
also for that China has Pakistan I don’t there will any large scale investment in Afghanistan for at least next 5 years that too if Afghanistan remains stable

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,406
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
China won’t pay a single penny above of what it can make back in money or geopolitical heft. Afghanistan isn’t worth the aid it had been receiving all these years and economic fall is inevitable if not a complete collapse.

they will have to, just enough so that it wont trouble them.

and that trouble, the way I see it ,will increase through time.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom