Defence Q&A YF23 vs the YF22(F22) was Northrops plane really the better one?

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,823
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Well the debate still has not gone away.

I have been doing a lot of digging around.

Especially regarding the ATF program how Lockheed won with the YF22 but the on the other side many believe the YF23 was the superior plane only won due to Lockheed having more money in congress.

YF-22_and_YF-23 (1).jpg

I wonder how many of this right and was the Yf23 really the better plane?

Some say they were equal bu others say the Yf22 won because it was more agile and more cheaper than the yf23.

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Well the debate still has not gone away.

I have been doing a lot of digging around.

Especially regarding the ATF program how Lockheed won with the YF22 but the on the other side many believe the YF23 was the superior plane only won due to Lockheed having more money in congress.

View attachment 54889

I wonder how many of this right and was the Yf23 really the better plane?

Some say they were equal bu others say the Yf22 won because it was more agile and more cheaper than the yf23.

The X-44 manta is better than both of them.

avonsabre

Reactions
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Australia
X44 never flew neither was it built I doubt it could have been better when it was a proposed design that never left the drawing board.
If Japan succeeds in getting Northrop to open up a production line for F23's, could or should we join
X44 never flew neither was it built I doubt it could have been better when it was a proposed design that never left the drawing board.
If Japan succeeds in getting Northrop to open a production line for F23's, could or should we join them?

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,092
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
If Japan succeeds in getting Northrop to open up a production line for F23's, could or should we join

If Japan succeeds in getting Northrop to open a production line for F23's, could or should we join them?
They are not planning to do that anymore, they joined the Tempset program with UK and Italy.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom