Tonyukuk

Reactions
1 973
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Kazakhstan
This is looking like it'll surpass 10k.

Honestly considering how shallow the quake was I don't even think that modern earthquake resistant mid rise apartments could survive near the epicenter.

According to some sources mid rises are the worse than both skyscrapers/high rises and 1-2 story houses. This is because they aren't light like 1-2 story houses while at the same time they lack the ability to flex like skyscrapers. Still, I'd be afraid that earthquake resistant high rises and skyscrapers would still be at significant risk in the epicenter.

I don't think that it's feasible for Türkiye to switch to a suburban model with 1-2 story homes similar to the USA, Canada, Australia, etc. So the only thing Türkiye can do is innovate. Metal frames that can flex will be necessary. I'm not sure exactly how the earthquake resistant mid-rises are built in Türkiye, but I'm guessing they're just concrete with rebar, which will crack. That explains why the aftershocks are what brings them down.

Sadly due to cost effectiveness and other factors, my hopes aren't high that we'll see significant changes. We already saw how concrete stocks jumped up.

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
57 28,553
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

hawk21

Reactions
3 100
Nation of residence
Malaysia
Nation of origin
Malaysia
Prayers with our turkish brothers. May Allah grant jannah to the ones who lost their lives in Turkey and Syria. I pray that all forum members and their families are safe.

Gessler

Contributor
India Moderator
Reactions
35 1,752
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,019
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

Indonesian vice president already called related government agencies to organized aids toward Turkey and Syria people as soon as possible, citing Turkey help during Aceh boxing day as a thing worth to remember

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,019
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Head of Indonesian Red Cross and Red Crescent would sent people and other Aids to help Turkey people affected by disaster, his too remembering Turkey help effort in the past during Aceh Boxing day tsunami

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,019
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Indonesian embassy in Ankara already sent one container of foods and other supplies and already moving with volunteer to Gaziantep. This only the first response as greater Aids package would come from Indonesia

vjh7SbFpzA.jpg

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
10 4,934
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Goverment and all the construction companies that build those buildings are responsible. Also the architects and civil/structural engineers who approved that.

F*cking scumbags without dignity.

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
This is looking like it'll surpass 10k.

Honestly considering how shallow the quake was I don't even think that modern earthquake resistant mid rise apartments could survive near the epicenter.

According to some sources mid rises are the worse than both skyscrapers/high rises and 1-2 story houses. This is because they aren't light like 1-2 story houses while at the same time they lack the ability to flex like skyscrapers. Still, I'd be afraid that earthquake resistant high rises and skyscrapers would still be at significant risk in the epicenter.

I don't think that it's feasible for Türkiye to switch to a suburban model with 1-2 story homes similar to the USA, Canada, Australia, etc. So the only thing Türkiye can do is innovate. Metal frames that can flex will be necessary. I'm not sure exactly how the earthquake resistant mid-rises are built in Türkiye, but I'm guessing they're just concrete with rebar, which will crack. That explains why the aftershocks are what brings them down.

Sadly due to cost-effectiveness and other factors, my hopes aren't high that we'll see significant changes. We already saw how concrete stocks jumped up.

I think the best option is to go with low-rise buildings in order to minimize the casualties when a single building goes down during an earthquake, plus, there is a hell of a lot less debris for rescue workers to go through, which may help save lives in the future.

even if Turkey doesn't or can't adopt the suburban style of cities, it can still better its city planning, for example, I thing I noticed was that the people have nowhere to go even after escaping a collapsing building. the people are trapped in a sea of buildings with no open safe spaces for them to evacuate to; thus, Turkey needs to create large spaces for its citizens to evacuate to.

the cost of continuing the current situation is far more costly for the nation both in terms of lives and in monetary value, politicians need to introduce new legislation that would either make buildings safer or stop unsafe buildings from being built.

Hopefully, this will be the last time Turkey has suffered so many losses due to earthquakes, and this experience can be used to save future life so the dead wouldn't have die in vain.

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Goverment and all the construction companies that build those buildings are responsible. Also the architects and civil/structural engineers who approved that.

F*cking scumbags without dignity.
Turkey needs to reform its election system away from Party-list proportional representation (PLPR) as it increases corruption, thus endangering millions of people. The PLPR system, especially the type Turkey uses called closed-list proportional representation systems, is the most corrupt election system that removes politicians from being held accountable and creates dictatorships within political parties this applies to both the AK party and CHP.

Also when going near collapsed buildings, please remember to wear a mask.

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,513
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is appaling how bad the relief is coordinated. Firstly there are thousands of people who lost their houses or are afraid to enter their homes because of damage.

We are a fuckin tourism country with thousands of hotels, why are these people not sheltered in these hotels? Hotels have rooms, beds, showers, kitchens but no, our people try to bring tents and towels.

Do the right thing, bring the people to the hotels stop wasting time with tents and sleeping bags.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
77 10,602
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
All 2nd Army Commando Brigades are being deployed to the earthquake zones.

It was a big mistake to move the army out of the barracks in the metropolitan areas. I discussed this a few years ago with a dinosaur with thousands of followers, and with all his arrogance, blathered about darbe fetö etc. and insulted me than blocked me without waiting for an answer. Now the same dinosaur is probably pontificating about earthquakes.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom