neosinan

Committed member
Reactions
7 987
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Hence freedom is in the skies. Ruling the sky would enable you to by pass pretty much many stationary hindrances
If you rule the Sky, then you will pick enemy tanks regardless of quality of your tanks. eg Karabagh 2020, Iraq 2003

If Both side doesn't rule the Sky, We are seeing, Quantity is ruling over quality in Ukraine.

So in both Case I don't see truly cutting edge Altay is good for us. We need simpler tank that We can replace all tanks we have m48, m60, Leos. We simple wont be able afford 2000 Altay. Or At Least We need high and Low mix like US air force is trying but Instead of Aircrafts we should plan it for our Tank inventory. At most, 300-400 Altay + 1000-1500 40-45 tonnes medium tank. And Not to mention We about to have the 1000hp engine for such tank.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
22 18,835
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Kaplan MT seems to fit the description, but no word about it from TAF. Despite Aselsan working on the turret (if I remember correct).

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,141
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
If you rule the Sky, then you will pick enemy tanks regardless of quality of your tanks. eg Karabagh 2020, Iraq 2003

If Both side doesn't rule the Sky, We are seeing, Quantity is ruling over quality in Ukraine.

So in both Case I don't see truly cutting edge Altay is good for us. We need simpler tank that We can replace all tanks we have m48, m60, Leos. We simple wont be able afford 2000 Altay. Or At Least We need high and Low mix like US air force is trying but Instead of Aircrafts we should plan it for our Tank inventory. At most, 300-400 Altay + 1000-1500 40-45 tonnes medium tank. And Not to mention We about to have the 1000hp engine for such tank.

Not entirely true. in Ukraine, tanks are assulting well fortified defensive positions with layers of anti-tank systems. This is not the ideal sceanrio for tank warfare. A tank's role is rather to conduct blitzkreig and to overpower an enemy very quickly with a surprise effect. There is no surprise effect in Ukraine.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
67 7,632
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Not entirely true. in Ukraine, tanks are assulting well fortified defensive positions with layers of anti-tank systems. This is not the ideal sceanrio for tank warfare. A tank's role is rather to conduct blitzkreig and to overpower an enemy very quickly with a surprise effect. There is no surprise effect in Ukraine.

Well, as it happens, there no such thing as idea scenario for Tank warfare. Once the enemy dug in and prepared the defensive line, the chances for a successful blitzkrieg becomes very very slim in today’s warfare. You can't avoid the necessary attrition.

Last edited:

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,141
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Well, as it happens, there no such thing as idea scenario for Tank warfare. Once the enemy dug in and prepared the defensive line, the chances for a successful blitzkrieg becomes very very slim in today’s warfare. You can avoid the necessary attrition.

Exactly. That's what I am saying. Tanks in the modern battlefield has certain utilities. If you use them outside of those utilities it will end in disaster. If you use the properly it will end in success.

It's like saying TB2 is useless because you decided to use them against the Greek Air Force at the onset of a conflict. Instead, you'll need to wait till you have neutralized enemy air force assets before engaging ground targets with TB2. Likewise for tanks - highly effective at the onset of a conflict to blitz the enemy. However, once the enemy has reestablished their positions tank warfare will lose its value.

B_A

Contributor
Reactions
4 1,063
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Exactly. That's what I am saying. Tanks in the modern battlefield has certain utilities. If you use them outside of those utilities it will end in disaster. If you use the properly it will end in success.

It's like saying TB2 is useless because you decided to use them against the Greek Air Force at the onset of a conflict. Instead, you'll need to wait till you have neutralized enemy air force assets before engaging ground targets with TB2. Likewise for tanks - highly effective at the onset of a conflict to blitz the enemy. However, once the enemy has reestablished their positions tank warfare will lose its value.
The problem is,if only in blitz the enemy

A 30-40 tons Tank is better than a 65t one.

Aqerdf

Reactions
5 221
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Russian defence requires unprecedented airpower or brigade and above level tank assault. And not just one big assault, multiple big assaults on either one location or multiple locations.

Ukraine didn't conducted this kind of big assaults. I don't remember even battalion-level of tank assault on one location. The biggest was battalion of mechanized assault i think i saw.

For that you need more han 100 modern jet and/or atleast ~1000 good tank imo (armchair general on).

If Bachmut was't happened, they would attack stronger, people say. I think they could be correct.

Light tanks are not compatible with our doctirine i think.

Modernise Leo 2s
Modernise M60TMs
Modernise M60A3s

And produce 1000 Altay.

I think it's doable with produce / modernize approach.

Only new item could be unmanned sleeve tanks and tankettes.

Light tank situation is like putting precious crewman into Mig-21. Even if they're the best tank crews in the world, their capabilities will be hampered by the tank's capabilities.

Other than geography (soil,infastructure jungles veeery mountainous areas etc.) or far area operation logistics, light tanks are not worth the effort imo.

Last edited:

neosinan

Committed member
Reactions
7 987
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
In any modern war, blitzkreig only happens when You have full air superiority. Any ground attack is easily suppressed by opposing air force. Thus Tanks are in supportive role.

What I am saying is, you dont need most expensive tanks like you dont need a predator. We just need a TB2 of Tanks. Good Enough tank that can do the 95% of MBT at half of the price.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,848
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
light tanks are not worth the effort imo.
Instead of light tanks, we should focus on unmanned platforms like Otokar's Alpar and develop them into something with more punch. For example, something that'll be able to use Roketsan's 105mm turret and 105mm version of Roketsan's Tanok instead of normal rounds. And if it is modular like Alpar, we can also change its weapon load to anti-air or anti-tank role.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,141
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
In any modern war, blitzkreig only happens when You have full air superiority. Any ground attack is easily suppressed by opposing air force. Thus Tanks are in supportive role.

What I am saying is, you dont need most expensive tanks like you dont need a predator. We just need a TB2 of Tanks. Good Enough tank that can do the 95% of MBT at half of the price.

The problem is that the TB2 of tanks will carry 3-4 crew. Thus suddenly it is not expendable. The question is, how much are you willing to pay to protect the crew of your tank. Protection is not only armor but also advanced sensors allowing the crew to spot and engage the enemy first.

A 50% cost tank would have to be without crew.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
67 7,632
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
The problem is that the TB2 of tanks will carry 3-4 crew. Thus suddenly it is not expendable. The question is, how much are you willing to pay to protect the crew of your tank. Protection is not only armor but also advanced sensors allowing the crew to spot and engage the enemy first.

A 50% cost tank would have to be without crew.

Not necessarily, here is VT-4 A1.
With advanced sensors + electronics and Active protection system. Cost around $6-6.5 millions only.
Less than half of Altay's cost. ($14-15 millions)

1696002228530.png

Also, if you make the turret unmanned you can reduce weight by 10 ton at least. Hence also the cost, as you don't have to puy extra armor on turrets to protect the crew.

1696002189860.png

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,141
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Not necessarily, here is VT-4 A1.
With advanced sensors + electronics and Active protection system. Cost around $6-6.5 millions only.
Less than half of Altay's cost. ($14-15 millions)

View attachment 61532

Also, if you make the turret unmanned you can reduce weight by 10 ton at least. Hence also the cost, as you don't have to puy extra armor on turrets to protect the crew.

View attachment 61531

Isn't the VT-4 A1 not a fancy looking T-72. I'd expect chinese tanks to cook just as well as the russian tanks in a conflict. Wouldn't consider them a good solution to the problem

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
67 7,632
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Isn't the VT-4 A1 not a fancy looking T-72.

Bruh, VT-5 is superior to T90 let alone T-72. It was developed after MBT-2000.

. I'd expect chinese tanks to cook just as well as the russian tanks in a conflict.

Don't you see western style turret? Its ammo doesn't cook. That's the point.

Wouldn't consider them a good solution to the problem

My friend, you have get out of the notion that it sucks becuase it is Chinese. World is moving ahead faster than we think.

VT-4 actually one of the few operational tanks to incorporate 3rd gen FLIR. (Along with leopard 2 A7 and markava 4m)

Last edited:

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
67 7,632
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Comparing anything China makes with our, or anyone else for that matter, is meaningless. What they make will almost always be cheaper.

Compared to Western systems? sure. But today, Chinese GDP is same as Turkey. Thus, i think, saying that they have cheap labour advantage does not apply anymore. Hence, if China can, i think Turkey also should give it a go.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,141
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Bruh, VT-5 is superior to T90 let alone T-72. It was developed after MBT-2000.

Don't you see western style turret? Its ammo doesn't cook. That's the point.

My friend, you have get out of the notion that it sucks becuase it is Chinese. World is moving ahead faster then we think.

VT-4 actually one of the few operational tanks to incorporate 3rd gen FLIR. (Along with leopard 2 A7 and markava 4m)

Brother, I just made a quick google search. Seems like VT4 has the exact same flawed autoloader design. 100% it will cook when penetrated.

1696004008021.png

I am not saying what is chinese is crap. I am saying their tank philosophy is similar to the russian. I deeply flawed and disasterous philosophy.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
67 7,632
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Brother, I just made a quick google search. Seems like VT4 has the exact same flawed autoloader design. 100% it will cook when penetrated.

View attachment 61534

I am not saying what is chinese is crap. I am saying their tank philosophy is similar to the russian. I deeply flawed and disasterous philosophy.

You are right, VT-4 has similar feeding mechanism. i confused it with VT-5 which has separate ammunition compartment like Western MBT.

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
11 4,985
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
All western countries are moving to 130mm or even 140mm (Nexter Ascalon), even if ALTAY T1/T2 will have 120mm main gun, for T3 we should consider a bigger boom stick.

E

Era_shield

After tons of Soviet/Russian tanks that have been taken out by FPV drones by dropped munitions, an Israeli Merkava tank has also been taken out by one.

I hope our engineers have been taking some serious notes.
The Altay was designed from the beginning to have much better protection from top-down attacks than those tanks. But it would still be good to put an extra radar panel on the roof facing upward and replace the commander's gun with something that can elevate 90+ degrees. Current drone mounted AT munitions wouldn't be able to penetrate Altay's roof but heavier ones in the future might.

Top Bottom