Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
One thing that would make ANKA-III a more strategic asset would be aerial refuelling, that would bring the project to the next stage and on a level with US developed current core UCAV technologies.

X-47B Drone

1679748449486.png

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
57 28,551
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I'm sure they have this vision in a future state.
There is opposition to building a concept from scratch, apart from the projection/technologies produced by the USA throughout the company. They are very discreet about this. My friend was very fed up with this situation. He complained that talented people could not show their true capacities.

Tonyukuk

Reactions
1 973
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Kazakhstan
I doubt that TAI has this vision in its current state.
I disagree. That large section which is a darker shade looks like it could be a placeholder for an aerial refuelling chute. Look at that round bit at the front of it.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
9 9,040
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
I think Anka 3 to Anka 3 aerial refueling is a more important capability. A tanker version of Anka 3 could operate along with strike Anka 3s very close to hostile theaters

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
56 7,373
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Adding a buddy buddy fuel tank to drone is easier than adding a probe to a drone.

Baryshx

Contributor
Reactions
8 2,026
Website
www.twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
looks as if the engine nozzle is standing on a carriage. Bet you can't see the nozzle from below say unlike the Okhotnik prototype. Interesting design choice.
Wouldn't it be better if the tail was a bit longer, like the X-47B, so that the heat signature would not be visible? Would that be a handicap for invisibility?
MNMoxt.jpg

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
56 7,373
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Possibly, i dunno. Exhaust heat is definitely a big part of it being "stealth".

What i'm more interested in that photo is the gold plating(?) on the sides of the exhaust, possibly to keep exhaust heat from transferring to the fuselage. Never noticed it before. I adore the X-47B.

Baryshx

Contributor
Reactions
8 2,026
Website
www.twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Possibly, i dunno. Exhaust heat is definitely a big part of it being "stealth".

What i'm more interested in that photo is the gold plating(?) on the sides of the exhaust, possibly to keep exhaust heat from transferring to the fuselage. Never noticed it before. I adore the X-47B.
Yes, the gold plating caught my attention too...

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,495
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Wouldn't it be better if the tail was a bit longer, like the X-47B, so that the heat signature would not be visible? Would that be a handicap for invisibility?
MNMoxt.jpg
Yes,it would be better. But making it fly is THE 1st priority. Shrouding the nozzle comes later.

Kedikesenfare

Reactions
1 797
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
We must state that perhaps more than other types of aircraft, stealthy flying wing drones are known to evolve through the testing process significantly. At first, low-observability is not essential to successful flight testing and other primary trials, so things like extra vents, antenna, pitot tubes, airframe surface refinement, and especially exhaust become far more refined in later iterations.

The exhaust, in particular, is among the hardest components of a low-observable aircraft to successfully realize, so a more basic exhaust can be used for initial testing. As predicted, we saw exactly this with Russia's Hunter-B UCAV. A more production-representative configuration emerged after basic flight testing and other trials were complete, which included a low-observable exhaust, among many other refinements.

Source: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/turkeys-flying-wing-unmanned-combat-air-vehicle-breaks-cover

Basically, Anka III is going to have some significant improvements throughout the entire testing process.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
77 10,602
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
We must state that perhaps more than other types of aircraft, stealthy flying wing drones are known to evolve through the testing process significantly. At first, low-observability is not essential to successful flight testing and other primary trials, so things like extra vents, antenna, pitot tubes, airframe surface refinement, and especially exhaust become far more refined in later iterations.

The exhaust, in particular, is among the hardest components of a low-observable aircraft to successfully realize, so a more basic exhaust can be used for initial testing. As predicted, we saw exactly this with Russia's Hunter-B UCAV. A more production-representative configuration emerged after basic flight testing and other trials were complete, which included a low-observable exhaust, among many other refinements.

Source: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/turkeys-flying-wing-unmanned-combat-air-vehicle-breaks-cover

Basically, Anka III is going to have some significant improvements throughout the entire testing process.
Anka-3 brought a completely new perspective to the Turkish aviation industry. The capabilities that the system will gain over time, rather than its very first variant of this, will shape the future of our combat aviation as a whole:. We can make a summary of the capabilities to be acquired under the Anka-3(x) program:

Mastering stealth aircraft design.
Confronting stealth aircraft to modern air-to-air combat systems.
Confronting stealth aircraft to modern ground-to-air combat systems.
Experimenting unstable yaw aircraft control methods.
Acquiring full mission system representativity.
Acquiring composite pack airborne control on transonic aircrafts
Acquiring of reducing engine and plume IR signature, techniques of infrared stealth, nozzle and tail section
Acquiring collaborative flight with drones and aircraft.
Acquiring communicative stealthness
Acquiring fully autonomous AI control and self-decision systems

The concept of stealth is traditionally discussed in social media and forums only in terms of RCS, where the predominant focus is on the X band. In this context, material and construction technology, coating and geometric qualities are emphasized with a focus on radar detection. However, the concept of stealth as a whole encompasses many other dimensions, ranging from thermal/chemical management and IR signature to communication secrecy and data link security.

The Anka-3 program represents the ideal of a pure stealth platform. Correction, it is not only a pure stealth platform, but also represents an ideal that aims for this platform to provide operational effectiveness on the battlefield as a drone with AI support and advanced autonomy. This will allow us to consider all the aspects of stealth in a drone platform as a whole, many of which I have mentioned above and probably many of which I am not even aware of.

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom